NGD: Schecter Sun Valley Super Shredder Exotic

Absolutely gorgeous. Love that rich wood grain finish!

Thanks Man. It's not exact, but it always makes me think of Eddie Clarke's strat:

DTSA8TuVAAAhDTS.jpg

When I play it, I kind of feel like I'm in some band at the cusp of the '70s going into the '80s, and that we sound exactly like Triumph.

I like yours better.

(I’ve got a .strandberg* with two humbuckers on the way!)

Oh Man, Congratulations! I tried out a used Boden the same day I bought mine. The neck was fine with me and not in the way at all, but the deal breaker for me was just the lack of pull up room on the trem! The one I played was one Hell of a guitar.

If you're looking for something off the beaten path then check out this one:

https://sophiatremolos.com/collections/sophia-2-22-complete-series/products/sophia-2-22-tremolo
Have you by chance tried their block that allows trem spring tension adjustment on the fly? I understand it's similar to what some Ibanez trems have. I think it's genius. When a previously well-tuned FR guitar goes out of tune due to say temperature change, normally it just takes adjusting the spring tension and all strings can be brought back in tune simultaneously and well enough like that, in one go. (one thing I miss from Ibanez trems...).

I looked at the Sophia drawings and could not tell whether it indeed does that or not.

Have you by chance tried their block that allows trem spring tension adjustment on the fly? I understand it's similar to what some Ibanez trems have. I think it's genius. When a previously well-tuned FR guitar goes out of tune due to say temperature change, normally it just takes adjusting the spring tension and all strings can be brought back in tune simultaneously and well enough like that, in one go. (one thing I miss from Ibanez trems...).

I looked at the Sophia drawings and could not tell whether it indeed does that or not.
I have no personal experience with their products, however I saw a video review of their top end bridge and it did have the tuning adjustment on the block like you describe.

FUTone has lots of trem blocks to replace. My Ibanez has much improved sustain and eliminated some phantom notes.

Yes, I made the mistake of ordering the wrong edge pro II block, hard to get here in CR for returns, but it fit my cheapy S Ibanez, ordered the correct one for my new PB1080. Made both of them sound much better, they ring out now. Both blocks were brass. For $80, and an hr of tweaking. I wish they made the titanium trem posts with the locking inside screw…

Yes, I made the mistake of ordering the wrong edge pro II block, hard to get here in CR for returns, but it fit my cheapy S Ibanez, ordered the correct one for my new PB1080. Made both of them sound much better, they ring out now. Both blocks were brass. For $80, and an hr of tweaking. I wish they made the titanium trem posts with the locking inside screw…
Why on earth would you want titanium posts ?? they wouldn't last a week before they were worn out.

Don't fall for FU's total snake oil about tone and what metal is suitable for Floyd parts. You have to laugh at a company who's whole business is based on the block in the back of EVH's 5150 . The truth is it was the standard block that APM made the first run of US made Floyds. It was steel and yes oversize (compared to now) but FU don't make one the same. After the first run ( about 200) the production switched to Germany (Schaller) and you had the model that is available as the 1984 and they have a tonally balanced brass block as standard .To this day it still has it and the new model is virtually unchanged with only minor alterations. There are key differences with the APM made units and I could detail them but just putting extra mass on a trem without a specific reason is a tonal lottery that is as often worse as it is better.

Not sure, reading says the opposite regarding wear. I had a hard time getting/learning to setup my new S1070PBZ, it had travelled far and likely got jolted a few times. The stock trem post metal is so soft, don’t like being adjusted under tension, which I did initially trying to solve what ended up being some fret work needed. I’m on the side of the threaded trem post having minute play after many adjustments. Every Ibanez I’ve had has eventually needed these replaced as the insert/threads eventually degrade. So again, I’m open to trying these titanium posts as I’m at a point, knowing all has been set right, I have slight tuning issues I know is the trem posts wobbling. I don‘t see as snake oil. Cost is double stock trem bolts, the stock ones do have the smaller locking bolt, debating that piece.
Ha ha, I put snake oil in my post before u posted.
I stand by my replaced blocks as improved resonance of my Edge trem guitars.

Last edited:
What are your tuning issues? That is a budget trem but I can always get it to work 100%. The best post available is the locking Gotoh one that is standard on the 1996 and the slightly different cut version for the Edge and Edge pro also Gotoh. Titanium is a totally unsuitable metal for this application .

One other thing to take in to account is the the FU post (even if it was any good) is a direct swap for the OFR not the Ibanez so the thread is different and even the post hole drilled in the body is too big for the FU bushing. You can fit it but you would need to plug and redrill the body and then it is still questionable that the angle cut on the FU post is even compatible with the correct motion of the Ibanez trem . For instance an Edge does not work on OFR post and vice versa.

I've hesitated because i am so close. The tuning issues are slight, I can slightly put pressure with my body and change tuning, it's slight. my other 2 - S guitars don't respond that way. Neck is tight, trem level, springs good.
I've made more adjustments to lower the posts and have the neck more curved that has helped, maybe even solved.
But without locking the smaller allen bolt, i can wobble the trem bolts ( no tension), don't appear to wobble when locked .The other 2 guitars don't have the small lock bolt and they don't wobble.

FUTone has lots of trem blocks to replace. My Ibanez has much improved sustain and eliminated some phantom notes.

Never replace a block unless you have resonance issues. The change in mass may help but it can also make it worse.

Thanks for the suggestions. A sustain block of a different material will definitely change things; one would hope it would all be a change for the better, but you just don't know until you're playing. The 1996 is really calling to me.

In this interesting TGP post, CaptNasty writes "Titanium is less prone to sympathetic vibrations," and that line is sticking in my head. @Andy Eagle, your mention of the softness of the metal is really interesting; I think there's a popular conception that titanium is so much stronger than other commonly used metal, so it's easy to conflate strength with hardness and the ability to withstand the force a two point trem puts on the knife edges and the post divots. Perhaps it also has to do with the alloys used; I'm thinking "titanium" can mean a lot of things.

This Darth Phineas article is extolling the virtues of tungsten blocks, and it has me wondering about those too. I'm wondering, but not sold.

Right now there are arguments in the guitar world about what constitutes great sustain: one on hand, you have so many people praising the Vega-Trem, which is tiny, and you have Floyd Rose selling the Stone Tone, selling it for its lack of mass, and Floyd Rose, in contradiction with themselves, is pushing the Tungsten Block for it's increase in mass! I have a feeling if you whether it's more toneful to buy a Stone Tone to decrease your mass or a Tungsten Block to increase it, they'll recommend that you buy one of each and see for yourself haha. I do think it's important to note that the blocks that come on any basic Floyd are actually brass, that they're just nickel plated.

This is also telling me that there are other factors at work here. I do know that across the board I see read good things about the 1996.

I've hesitated because i am so close. The tuning issues are slight, I can slightly put pressure with my body and change tuning, it's slight. my other 2 - S guitars don't respond that way. Neck is tight, trem level, springs good.
I've made more adjustments to lower the posts and have the neck more curved that has helped, maybe even solved.
But without locking the smaller allen bolt, i can wobble the trem bolts ( no tension), don't appear to wobble when locked .The other 2 guitars don't have the small lock bolt and they don't wobble.
The truss rod has nothing to do with it. You should set it for the string tension so almost dead flat with half the thickness of your high E string relief at the 7/8th fret area. Lube the knife edges with chapstick and make sure the bolts are all tight and the knife edges are clean of burrs.

Sii amigo, during the pandemic, I finally took time to learn guitar repair, setup, neck adjustments, Floyd care. This guitar had some high frets initially. I made all sorts of adjustments, bridge, neck etc. before I knew what I was getting into, in Canada I would have returned the guitar. Being in Costa Rica wasn’t an option, no access to guitar setup tools, gauges, etc. Ordering tools took months , so after finally getting the frets leveled, humidity is huge here in the ocean, but yet after 2 days of sun, not humid, adds complications even in AC. Anyways, I like my string height higher then most, I have everything tight, had my trem posts set higher, with the neck straight. It’s been an exercise with this guitar getting playable. But after multiple settings, some of your help months ago, I have it set nice. With my cheapy S, following the setup guides for specific height #’s translated very close to playable, with my S1070, was horrible fret ping when I dug in. Even though it’s not related, neck adjustment and bridge height are related to each other. Now the neck has a curve to it, no ping, very playable, that has let me crank the bridge bolts much lower finally, which has eliminated the slight tuning. I hijacked this thread into something else, apologies. I will look at the bridge posts and sleeve u shared above and order regardless, as they are a month + from order to delivery and I’d like them in the drawer. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom