Simple midi switcher for FM3 scene changes

Tommymo

Inspired
Can someone recommend a simple midi switcher with a small foot print ? I have a disaster area dmc4 gen 3 but I am looking for a more simpler smaller midi switch.

not sure anything can be more simple than that one. it needs to send CC#s with specific values. if it can do that, most manufacturers would put more into it as well.

One thing you might want to be aware of with the Midi Baby 3 is the following thread on TGP.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...er-area-midi-baby-3-so-many-bugs-ugh.2150660/

The last few posts in the thread suggest someone may have found a version of the firmware that fixes the problem the OP was having but the dearth of feedback from the vendor would give me pause for concern.

I have an MC6 II and am firmly impressed by the overall device architecture and design, the level of support, and the continuous introduction of new functionality in the firmware. For example the MC8 and MC3 provide support for Omniports which allow for expression pedal and switch inputs, and MIDI over TRS output. The new beta firmware release for the MC6 introduces the same functionality. If you want a sense of what is being done for device support the release notes are worth a gander.

https://github.com/Morningstar-Engineering/MC6-MKII-Midi-Controller/releases

One thing you might want to be aware of with the Midi Baby 3 is the following thread on TGP.

The last few posts in the thread suggest someone may have found a version of the firmware that fixes the problem the OP was having but the dearth of feedback from the vendor would give me pause for concern.

I have an MC6 II and am firmly impressed by the overall device architecture and design, the level of support, and the continuous introduction of new functionality in the firmware. For example the MC8 and MC3 provide support for Omniports which allow for expression pedal and switch inputs, and MIDI over TRS output. The new beta firmware release for the MC6 introduces the same functionality. If you want a sense of what is being done for device support the release notes are worth a gander.
That's a drag about the Midi Babies.

Glad to hear you are happy with the Morningstar. I am definitely planning to get an MC3, but it will be used with the GT-1000 Core I recently got and some other pedals. I'm gonna make a go of using the FM3 with only two additional buttons and an expression pedal.

Thanks to all who replied. I may just make my disaster dmc work with the space I’ve got
How is the DMC-4 working out? I'm considering one as 4 switches is qhat I want/need. I'd like 3 switches to direct access Scenes 4-5-6 and the last button to Preset Up (Tuner on a Hold function). Can it do that?

What about two external stand-in switches for SCENE UP and SCENE DOWN?
I have a 2 switch Mosky now - as well as a Dunlop mini expression. I don't have another jack for a second Mosky switch or I'd do that. I thought a 4 switch midi controller would give me the 3 switches on the FM3 for Scenes 1-2-3 and then 4-5-6 on the midi controller, with the 4th switch being Preset Up/Tuner.

I play at church. I create one preset per song with Scenes aligned to song sections. The song sections don't always line up in adjacent Scenes - so I would like direct access. Preset Up between songs to quickly get to the next song's preset. Between services I can roll the FM3 knob back to get to the first song of the service.

That's my thought, at least.

How is the DMC-4 working out? I'm considering one as 4 switches is qhat I want/need. I'd like 3 switches to direct access Scenes 4-5-6 and the last button to Preset Up (Tuner on a Hold function). Can it do that?
Lol. I sold it. I only ever play live with 3 scenes per song. At my age(53) , I’m keeping it simple.

Lol. I sold it. I only ever play live with 3 scenes per song. At my age(53) , I’m keeping it simple.
I'm 55... lol

Some songs have more than 3 sections/sounds - once they're set up one switch cycles thru them. Direct access keeps the live playing easier.

I use a DMC3 XL Gen 3 which is smaller than the DMC4. For my use the buttons are set to scene up and scene down when tapping. Press and hold each button moves the preset up or down. My preference is also mostly 3 scenes and do that by setting my working presets to default to Scene 2.
From there I can easily access 3 scenes in a single tap. The FM3 has its buttons set to Control Switch 1 - Tuner - Control Switch 2 and 2 expression pedals handle the rest.
This will likely be my setup when I gig and find it easy to use and the added benefit with the Scene UP/DOWN buttons on the DMC3 allows me to add any extra scene if need be.

FWIW, I am saving up for an FC-6. The MIDI boxes are good but fall short in terms of capability compared to the FC-6 pedal.

Back
Top Bottom