FM3 --> Powercab?

jarrett

Inspired
I'm a Helix/Powercab user that just bought an FM3.

With the Helix into the Powercab, the goal is to get the input light on the Powercab to clip red at the most excessive points of your playing by adjusting the output volume of the Helix. I typically do that in the amp block or output block in the Helix and it works great.

I connected the FM3 to the Powercab today and started following the same process to get the input signal on the FM3 in a good spot, but I started clipping the output on the FM3 itself and getting some significant distorted signal going to the Powercab. This is way before the Powercab input is near clipping.

What's the trick to fix this? I'm running XLR out from the FM3 to the Powercab.

TLDR: Turn down the Amp block in the FM3. Turn up the Powercab.

The first thing is to make sure you're not clipping in the FM3. Then turn up the Powercab to where you need it to be.

Ideally, you wouldn't want your Powercab to clip at all. If your hardest hits are just tickling the Powercab's clip light, then turn down the Powercab a bit until that doesn't happen anymore.

Just to be clear, there isn't an input knob on front panel of the Powercab, so no adjustment to be made there.

Try checking Output 1 (assuming that's what you're using) and see if you're using -10dB or +4dB.

If you're using Output 2, first set it to Line Level.

Also finding that bumping up the cab block level in the FM3 is providing some better sounds. Going to keep testing that.

It's just volume. Louder == better.

Increase it in the Amp block instead. The result will be the same ;)
I'm trying to make sure I don't get into that weird clipping/feedback scenario again. That's something I never ran into with the Helix. Trying to figure out how to work around it in the FM3.

Reactions: Rex
I'm trying to make sure I don't get into that weird clipping/feedback scenario again. That's something I never ran into with the Helix. Trying to figure out how to work around it in the FM3.
Clipping is based on the output level... So doing it on either block will have the same result.

In the Output block there's meter with an indicator line. You should strive to level your presets to that line.

Ok, think I got it worked out. Changed the FM3 output to +4.

Then went into the Powercab editor and bumped the input gains to the max setting. At that point the output of the FM3 started to hit the front end of the Powercab as expected. The Helix seems to be normalizing that over the L6 Link cable, I guess.

While I was in there, I went ahead and used a sound meter app to balance the 15 different Powercab presets that I tend to use so everything is level.

The end result is the Helix and FM3 are now coming through the Powercab at the same volume making comparing the two more apples to apples.

Last edited:
Ok, think I got it worked out. Changed the FM3 output to +4.

Then went into the Powercab editor and bumped the input gains to the max setting. At that point the output of the FM3 started to hit the front end of the Powercab as expected. The Helix seems to be normalizing that over the L6 Link cable, I guess.

The end result is the Helix and FM3 are now coming through the Powercab at the same volume making comparing the two more apples to apples.

What's your thoughts on the sounds you're getting from each unit through the Powercab? Is the FM3 your first experience with a Fractal unit?

What's your thoughts on the sounds you're getting from each unit through the Powercab? Is the FM3 your first experience with a Fractal unit?
No, I was one of the early adopters on the original Axe-FX and gigged it for a number of years. I eventually sold it and years later got the Helix.

My buddy and I A/B'ed the Helix and his AX8 a few years ago as well. We didn't have the editor program for his AX8, so it was a real struggle that day.

I've used Helix Native for recording pretty much since it first came out. So fairly familiar with the Helix line of products.

Now I have my Helix on 3.11 firmware with HX Edit and the FM3 with the 4.0 firmware with FM3-Edit sitting side by side. Until I got the levels sorted out, the Helix was sounding better across the board. Now that I have the levels matched, I want to spend a few days really comparing them closely.

Now I have my Helix on 3.11 firmware with HX Edit and the FM3 with the 4.0 firmware with FM3-Edit sitting side by side. Until I got the levels sorted out, the Helix was sounding better across the board. Now that I have the levels matched, I want to spend a few days really comparing them closely.
Cool. I look forward to seeing your thoughts when you feel you have concluded your comparison of the FM3/Helix thru the Powercab. Cheers!

Fractal Support says RMA on my dime.

I wonder how many of these defective units are out in the wild wreaking havoc.

Hey jarrett, any updates on getting a replacement? I'd love to hear your comparison...seriously considering a Powercab 212 but not sure which modeler yet!

Back
Top Bottom