I Just Purchased Cooper Carter's Axe Fx III Class

TSJMajesty

Fractal Fanatic
While I don't have a firm grasp of exactly what-all I'll learn, I have no doubt it will be money well-spent. I believe it's 13 hours of course material for $120, so it's a pretty easy decision, since I'm positive that spending $10/hr. to have someone as knowledgeable as he is, teach how to get the most out of the AF3, it's a great use of the money vs. time, for me.

One of the main things I'm hoping for is that I'll learn what sort of FRFR monitoring setup will be right for me, since I'm just about ready to fully embrace all the modelling capabilities, as opposed to only using it for the killer effects (the main reason I bought it.)

My plan is to keep this thread updated with an overview of what I learn, (without, of course, violating in any way all of his hard work) with the hope that that info will help others in deciding whether they'd also like to purchase the course. I don't think (at this point, but who knows?) I'll deal with all the topics he covers however (e.g., I don't record, so a topic like re-amping may not end up part of my focus), but I'll try to absorb as much as possible, and let you know how it turns out.

Stay tuned...:guitar::pager::speaker::speakerone::speakerthree:🎼🎛️

Pretty curious about this, up until now I've taken a more DIY, experimental approach. Excited to hear your thoughts on this course as I wouldn't be opposed to a course from someone who knows what they're doing.

Pretty curious about this, up until now I've taken a more DIY, experimental approach. Excited to hear your thoughts on this course as I wouldn't be opposed to a course from someone who knows what they're doing.
I did the same thing but the class was well worth it. There are things in it that turned on some light bulbs and opened some doors for me. Money well spent.

I did the same thing but the class was well worth it. There are things in it that turned on some light bulbs and opened some doors for me. Money well spent.
I have had a similar experience with Leon Todd's videos, and there's at least one stream on YouTube where Misha Mansoor builds an entire preset. If this course is full of moments like that then I'd say it's well worth it.

Well, right off the bat, I'm learning some cool features about the FC Controllers. I don't have one yet, but suffice it to say that it appears these controllers are highly customizable, able to do things you may not even think of. I'm in the Global Settings section, and just the overview given so far shows that if you have an idea of what/how you want to do something, it's probably possible. Want a preset or scene to change exactly at a certain moment in a song, but it's not optimal for you look at the footswitch (at that exact moment), you can step on the button ahead of time, and set it so it makes the change when you lift your foot off the button. Again, so far it's just an overview, but my takeaway is, if you have a need, there's probably a way it can be done, and not necessarily globally either. More to come on FC Controllers later in the course.

Last edited:
I get the excitement of learning new things but sharing tips, even if they are found in a manual or guide, from a paid video series? Might want to check the user agreement to see what CC allows.

Great investment. Gives you a lot of knowledge and confidence to create your own tones and effect combinations.

So I jumped around a bit tonight to try to get a feel for what's here. Designing presets from scratch is a given, along with showing how to copy individual blocks so you can place them into other presets. That was covered pretty well. And I watched a part that showed how to set up an FC Controller to not only change to any of the 8 scenes, but also to turn on/off individual effects within that preset. I'm not sure how many of those you can set up that way yet. Just basically skimmed through so far. Looks promising, but so far I haven't seen in much detail the keystrokes used to get around in Axe Edit. He just does it on-screen, pretty fast, so you have to watch carefully, or just try to figure it out yourself. But we're not talking about super-complicated stuff.

With the limited time I put in tonight, I think one of the things I'm finding is that seeing what it is that he's doing, might make it easier to go back into the manual to understand the concepts better.

And if I didn't explain myself clearly in the OP..., I'm not planning on showing how to do the things covered in his course. That wouldn't be cool at all. But instead, give an overview of what types of things one can learn from the course.

While I don't have a firm grasp of exactly what-all I'll learn, I have no doubt it will be money well-spent. I believe it's 13 hours of course material for $120, so it's a pretty easy decision, since I'm positive that spending $10/hr. to have someone as knowledgeable as he is, teach how to get the most out of the AF3, it's a great use of the money vs. time, for me.

One of the main things I'm hoping for is that I'll learn what sort of FRFR monitoring setup will be right for me, since I'm just about ready to fully embrace all the modelling capabilities, as opposed to only using it for the killer effects (the main reason I bought it.)

My plan is to keep this thread updated with an overview of what I learn, (without, of course, violating in any way all of his hard work) with the hope that that info will help others in deciding whether they'd also like to purchase the course. I don't think (at this point, but who knows?) I'll deal with all the topics he covers however (e.g., I don't record, so a topic like re-amping may not end up part of my focus), but I'll try to absorb as much as possible, and let you know how it turns out.

Stay tuned...:guitar::pager::speaker::speakerone::speakerthree:🎼🎛️
It is a def "need to have". Enjoy!

Something else I forgot to mention last night... When Cooper went over the tuner and explained how/why/in what situations you'd want to use the mute function, he gave an example of altering the standard tuning of the guitar by certain "cents", for certain strings (which is possible in the Axe. Pretty cool feature!)

So I tried it. It sounds a bit different (he calls it sweeter), and I think I like it, but I'm not sure if it's 'confirmation bias.' So that's a cool tidbit he threw in. I'll try to remember to ask him (each individual video clip has a comment section, which looks like he does reply to, so that's super cool) where he got the idea, and how he came to choose which strings get altered by how many cents. I imagine it has something to so with equal temperament tuning.

Peterson "Sweetened" Offsets:

E: -2.3 cent
B: -2.1 Cent
G: -0.4 Cent
D: 0
A: 0
E: -2.3 Cent

Van Halen Offsets:

Eb: -9 cents
Bb: -9 cents
Gb: -3 cents
Db: -1 cent
Ab: +/-0 cents
Eb: +/-0 cents
D-Tuna Db: -4 cents

James Taylor Tuning Offsets (Acoustic):

E: -3
B: -6
G: -4
D: -8
A: -10
E: -12 cents

Peterson "Sweetened" Offsets:

E: -2.3 cent
B: -2.1 Cent
G: -0.4 Cent
D: 0
A: 0
E: -2.3 Cent

Van Halen Offsets:

Eb: -9 cents
Bb: -9 cents
Gb: -3 cents
Db: -1 cent
Ab: +/-0 cents
Eb: +/-0 cents
D-Tuna Db: -4 cents

James Taylor Tuning Offsets (Acoustic):

E: -3
B: -6
G: -4
D: -8
A: -10
E: -12 cents
Huh, TIL

I purchased Cooper’s masterclass in pretty short order after I got the Axe FX. Well worth the money. If you consider the hours I didn’t spend trying to figure out how to do a bunch of this stuff on my own, it‘s more than paid for itself. Cliff has put so much stuff into the Axe FX that I didn’t know I wanted but absolutely love now that I have it and Cooper showed me how to get the most out of it.

If you are new to Axe FX and you buy Cooper’s Master Class, you can jump 8 to 12 months ahead vs trying to learn it on your own.

Back
Top Bottom