Celestion Alnico Cream IRs. Why so few?

No problem. Hopefully it’s a decent enough IR for you until I can make a proper cab pack. I’m glad you’re liking the real speakers. They really are special!

I tested it out - it has great midrange and sparkle. I blended it with Factory Cab Bank 2 163 (Zilla Cab) to add some bass and the 2 work together pretty well.

I like it a lot - the York Audio test cab + 163 (left and rt in stereo) are now saved in my CAB block library and is now my go-to for low-mid gain tones. Maybe even high gain.

Thanks again!!

Yeah, I'm really digging this for my medium gain tones. I added a little bit of bass in the Cab block preamp, but otherwise, it bites nicely without being too thin or boxy.

@JRod4928 I took a few test shots of the Alnico Cream in a 2x12 and made a quick mix. I didn't have time to hone in on mic placements, so it's not perfect, but hopefully it'll temporarily scratch your Alnico Cream itch.

It's in .syx format, so you can drag n' drop it into one of your user slots.
This sounds wonderful! Are you working on a cab pack for this speaker?

@JRod4928 I took a few test shots of the Alnico Cream in a 2x12 and made a quick mix. I didn't have time to hone in on mic placements, so it's not perfect, but hopefully it'll temporarily scratch your Alnico Cream itch.

It's in .syx format, so you can drag n' drop it into one of your user slots.
Out of curiosity, is this one of your York Audio 2x12’s?

Thanks man. I’m not working on an Alnico Cream pack at the moment. Just had a little spare time and wanted to give something back to the community.

It’s definitely a speaker and cab that will be fun to capture though. :) I’m just glad that some of you are finding it useful.
Hi Justin,

Alnico cream is by far my most beloved real-world speaker.

Maybe some plans in future to make cab pack like this ?

YORK 212 custom cab with 2x alnico creams​

this would be sooo cool :)

Out of curiosity, is this one of your York Audio 2x12’s?
Yup. It’s from the larger 2x12. That one is becoming my favorite of the two sizes. So far, it hasn’t met a speaker it didn’t like.

Hi Justin,

Alnico cream is by far my most beloved real-world speaker.

Maybe some plans in future to make cab pack like this ?

YORK 212 custom cab with 2x alnico creams​

this would be sooo cool :)
When I do the Alnico Cream, it’ll be in a York Audio cab, but a different one than what was used for the DV77 pack. :) It’s gonna be great!

Celestion sells some Cream Alnico IRs themselves on their website, in a variety of cabinets, it's where I got my Ruby IRs from.

@York Audio - Will your final version of your custom built 2x12 cab ever go on sale? Is the cabinet maker willing to do that?
I think so. An artist came to my studio last week to try them in person and wants to order one. I still want more people to field test them before producing more to make sure that more people like them.

I’ve got some cool ideas for the final product as well to make them even more unique, so there’s a lot of potential in these cabinets.

tried them, they sound very thin IMO.
@York Audio is just different league, I would say currently best on the market.
That "very thin" sound is what the speakers actually sound like. Celestion seems to be the only company that doesn't embellish the natural tone and bloat out the the low end. Everyone hears things differently and some people may actually prefer their guitar to sound like a tuba.

That "very thin" sound is what the speakers actually sound like. Celestion seems to be the only company that doesn't embellish the natural tone and bloat out the the low end. Everyone hears things differently and some people may actually prefer their guitar to sound like a tuba.
The Alnico Cream is indeed no "bass monster". As we have one loaded in our 1x12" Red Majesty cab (as V2-Cream) in our V2-Red Special cab pack, it has a low resonance frequency of 108 hz (for comparision: the EV-12L (V2-Eve) has a low resonance frequency of 96 hz)
Imho this is a nice speaker for clean/mild breakup stuff, where good presence is needed. I would not recommend it for stuff, were tons of low end is needed.

Last edited:
I admit that the Cream does lack some low end, but if you're on this forum, you likely own a device that can add some of that back in very easily and with very little CPU so you can enjoy the benefits of the Cream's extreme level of articulation and warmth and get your low end too :)

I have pair of alnico creams on top in my friedman 4x12 cab with 2 redbacks on a bottom.

I am sure that cab itself makes them sounds bigger, but even if I listen closely to the creams, they don’t lack any bass IME.

Needed to say, I play heavy riffs in drop C with PRS Tremonti.

I tried dozen of different celestions, and creams are by far my favourite.

They handle clean, mid gain and hi gain like no other speaker.

YMMV of course :)

Attachments

• 4825099F-1561-487E-A7E8-45EDCDF05E9E.png
    4825099F-1561-487E-A7E8-45EDCDF05E9E.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
Back
Top Bottom