Delay Block Update

Thanks for this Cliff. Given how blown away I am with the rest of the AX3+FM3, I wasn't going to vocalize my wish that the delays had a bit more "character" like the old BBD pedal delays and tape delays. I'm able to get closer to what I want with the current ones than I am with what's on other major modeling platforms but I'm still really looking forward to this update.

I liked the delays as they were but some people were complaining. I personally prefer rack-style delays without a lot of degradation but that's me. Others prefer grungy, noisy pedal-style delays.
I tend to go for tape with its foibles or digital for clarity. If I can add a touch of modulation inside the delay I’m doubly happy.

I remember using analog/BBD pedals and never liked the rolloff and thought tape sounded better. Digital was too cool being able to get an accurate copy of the input. Plus my old Korg had great flashing lights. We always need flashing lights.

I liked the delays as they were but some people were complaining. I personally prefer rack-style delays without a lot of degradation but that's me. Others prefer grungy, noisy pedal-style delays.

I was using analog delay pedals and tape echos just when digital racks were becoming available and dreamed of the day when I could afford to get a digital rack unit as I couldn't stand the noise, artifacts, maintenance hassles, limitations, and overall low-fidelity of analog/tape units...they really drove me insane. Same with analog choruses, flangers, etc....I never 'got' the attraction to lo-fi, noisy, narrow bandwidth, limited effects devices but it's awesome to see that has been accommodated for users who desire that...great stuff.

I tend to go for tape with its foibles or digital for clarity. If I can add a touch of modulation inside the delay I’m doubly happy.

I remember using analog/BBD pedals and never liked the rolloff and thought tape sounded better. Digital was too cool being able to get an accurate copy of the input. Plus my old Korg had great flashing lights. We always need flashing lights.

B’zactly!

Personally I like the delay block, but more options is awesome! I am also kind of a delay junkie and will definitely be using the noisier delays in quite a few sounds too!

If I am understanding this correctly, the current pristine delay algorithms aren't going to be removed. Cliff is working on additional ways to add in compression, noise, and signal degradation as optional parameters to emulate the delay tones that some players are asking for. I'm always on board for more cool options.
^^this.
as long as everything new comes as an addition to further shape the delays and, if desired, keep them as they are, it's an absolute win situation!

I've read some stuff claiming the Delay block isn't "colorful" enough so I'm updating it.

I've added an optional "Compander" to simulate the noise reduction used in those old BBD delays with the NE570/SA571 chip. I've also improved the algorithm and the types to give things a bit more character. You can even adjust the compander time constant and "mismatch" between the compressor and expander to adjust the amount of grunge and transient distortion.
So basically you’re saying that 10 years and who-knows-how-many-dollar after having perfected the digital tech, you’re now using it to clone some primitive and unpredictable CCD technology from 40 years ago 😀

So basically you’re saying that 10 years and who-knows-how-many-dollar after having perfected the digital tech, you’re now using it to clone some primitive and unpredictable CCD technology from 40 years ago 😀
Yes like ever. just see rabea amazed to have a jvm amp 🤣. These guys and everyone in the end tried all the technology and then always go back rediscovering the real stuff . ola continue to buy real heads having the axe and trying everything…
I am old school too, and very attached to real stuff . but now that I have the axe and my JP2c, I really don’t want to buy a collection of head again/anymore . I prefer having new guitars instead . But yes people always go back , humans are like that . 3 steps ahead , and 4 steps back 😅

Listen the delays on the lead guitar during the intro and turnarounds of “I need somebody” by Bryan Adams.
No one has to tell me more than once to listen to BA :)
With that said, what are the odds of creating a SDD-3000 rack delay? Since I bought my Axe III 3 years ago, this is the only delay I find genuinely difficult/impossible to emulate, even using the SDD drive pedal with other delays. Nothing quite comes close to the real thing, but it sounds like you've got a passion for just that unit. Anyway, a boy can dream. I'm more in love with my Axe & FM3 everyday, so there's no complaint here, just a heartfelt wish to see my favorite delay faithfully recreated in my favorite everything-else box :)

Back
Top Bottom