Delay Block Update

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
I've read some stuff claiming the Delay block isn't "colorful" enough so I'm updating it.

I've added an optional "Compander" to simulate the noise reduction used in those old BBD delays with the NE570/SA571 chip. I've also improved the algorithm and the types to give things a bit more character. You can even adjust the compander time constant and "mismatch" between the compressor and expander to adjust the amount of grunge and transient distortion.

Thanks Cliff, that's amazing! I have wished for more warbly and driven tape delays in the past, it sounds like I may get my wish!

I love how responsive to customer feedback Cliff and co. are. How easy would it be for the team to just rest on their laurels and watch the cash come in? Instead, they are constantly surveying the forums and scrutinizing their already incredible work looking for new ways to push the limits.

Some people claim that we FAS acolytes are just koolaid drinking cult members, but I'll be darned if it aint a tasty tasty drink. This kind of thing is why we love FAS.

Can you subcontract yourself out to Boss for a few items?
220px-Drevil_million_dollars.jpg

it's been said before (and in this thread;))but THIS is why FAS is THE BEST. Thank you Cliff!:cool::cool:
FAS is so responsive to all of us, and the fact that they over-engineer the HW to allow for multiple FW updates over an extended period of time epitomizes the foresight of Cliff and FAS. Thank you!🙏

Interesting. I look forward to this addition. In the same way some people describe Strymon pedals as sterile I have thought many of the default effect blocks in the FX III were similar or not as "musical" as some original effects pedals. "Colorful" might be describing the same thing. Having said that, I can often get closer to what I want to hear tweaking with modulation, etc., but I am not knowledgeable enough to know what all the available parameters do to dial in certain sounds. Maybe this new Compander will hit the spot! Thanks!!

I've never experimented with "colorful" delays too much. I have always leaned toward cleaner digital kinds of delays, but there has been a lot of interesting music lately that has experimented with these alternate kinds, that it's making me want to experiment. Also, I can really see Fractal artists like Devin Townsend really getting some fantastic results with these kinds of delays. I am looking forward to hearing the musical results from artists such as Devin, that use delay as another color instead of just texture.
Thank you Cliff for your continued hard work.

I've never experimented with "colorful" delays too much. I have always leaned toward cleaner digital kinds of delays, but there has been a lot of interesting music lately that has experimented with these alternate kinds, that it's making me want to experiment. Also, I can really see Fractal artists like Devin Townsend really getting some fantastic results with these kinds of delays. I am looking forward to hearing the musical results from artists such as Devin, that use delay as another color instead of just texture.
Thank you Cliff for your continued hard work.
If you want to try a fun factory preset, look up "ekkopleks juniors" (172 if you're running factory banks) and try cloud drivers.

Back
Top Bottom