It's 2021 and the FC-12 display still looks like garbage

Everyone's eyesight is different. I have no issues at all reading the screens sitting or standing. Far from what I would consider garbage displays. Coming from the MFC-101 with no scribble strips at all, the FC's are infinitely better. Sure it would be nice if they were all big, high resolution color OLED displays with super high contrast, but that would likely make the FC units a lot more expensive too. Everything's a compromise.

You could maybe get creative with some of those credit card shaped magnifying lenses and some strip magnets

when I was 50, I was in a very nice NJ restaurant with my new boss, I was struggling looking at the menu, my boss turned to me slowly and said "your in denial" and then handed me his glasses, Ive been wearing them ever since... I can see my FC6 and FM3 just fine on the floor.

when I was 50, I was in a very nice NJ restaurant with my new boss, I was struggling looking at the menu, my boss turned to me slowly and said "your in denial" and then handed me his glasses, Ive been wearing them ever since... I can see my FC6 and FM3 just fine on the floor.
I can see them fine also, I just think it would be better if there were some adjustable font options. Doesn't sound like too much to ask for..

Bolded font would probably be a bit of an improvement.

I can see them fine also, I just think it would be better if there were some adjustable font options. Doesn't sound like too much to ask for..

Bolded font would probably be a bit of an improvement.
Sure a larger font and or oversized one squeezed into the scribe strip would be nice, even a color option be good... but personally I'd be much happier with a modifier on the amp saturation knob... but thats just me...

The first thing I did when I got my FC6 was decide which colors I was going to associate with which tones. I haven’t used it in a live situation yet, but even sitting in my studio, I already know the Blue is Clean, Red is Rhythm, Modulated stuff is Purple and leads are Green.

I figure if I’m 15 feet away from the board, even if I had to run to my pedalboard for a change, I’ve got a visual cue well before I even get there that doesn’t require reading. If I’m changing presets, I’m standing over it anyway.

That was one of my gripes with the helix floor when i got one. The screens were great when i was programming it but the first show was in direct sun, so i couldnt see the screens at all let alone i couldnt read them anyways. I find the FC scribbles have the same issue, i cant read them and more rely on the LED ring colors that i set for effects based off their "big brand" colors. Like chorus is always yellow, blue for delay, orange for phaser, red for distortion etc. What i do really really really really wish was the LED ring being representative of the channel of the block too. I missed that from my ax8 and being able to clearly see if i was on X or Y.

Consistent layout is what I use also but at that point I’m basically memorizing the layout so why even have scribble strips if you can’t use them? Basically completely useless. I keep thinking I should just tape over em with an actual scribble strip

Sorry, but I find it quite funny to read your suggestions. I can absolutely +1 consistent layouts. It's what most people would want (I guess). But isn't that basically where the MFC-101 shines? Or shined? Wasn't it a big selling point for the FCs to have dynamic layouts per preset?

And I feel so reminded of this old thread of mine back when the FCs got introduced.

I have been assigning the switches on my FC-6 and FC-12 to match as much as possible the colors that are used in Axe-edit. Gives it more continuity . I too have tried to match the same physical locations on the board to make it easier. Raised my concerns here on the scribble strips since they were first released. With no Fractal feedback I've come to accept it and move forward.

Which is useful for some people, but defeats the purpose of having Per-Preset switches...
It doesn't defeat the purpose, Per-Preset switches are just special cases to add flexibility when a preset needs that little extra somethin'. People don't have to use them, but if they do they're responsible for any confusion it causes them.

It doesn't defeat the purpose, Per-Preset switches are just special cases to add flexibility when a preset needs that little extra somethin'. People don't have to use them, but if they do they're responsible for any confusion it causes them.
Many people use Per-Preset switches in a lot of their presets; some even use the PP layout all the time.

PP layout and switches were created for a reason, and they're very popular. So the labels serve a valuable purpose - to tell you what you have set up in each preset. Some presets you have two amps, some you don't, but you use different channels... or different sets of scenes... or different sets of fx, depending on what the song needs... Not everyone creates presets that go 1-Clean 2-Dirty 3-Solo

OP's point was that he doesn't find the current strips readable. Some people agreed, some disagreed and say they're fine. Fair enough. But telling people they should always use the same layout or "they're responsible for any confusion" is about like saying "Can't read them? Just cover them with tape. Problem solved." What's the point of having all the flexibility if you don't have the ability to use it? 🤷‍♂️

I typed a long response, then abandoned that in favor of just saying “I bought the FC12, loved the integration with the Axe Fx and build quality, but didn’t like the displays compared to my RJM. So I sold it.

In my opinion, then and still today, the FC series are what they are. Great in some ways, ok in others, but not everything to everyone. FAS has given no indication they’re changing them, so I can only assume they aren’t. So I use something else with my Axe Fx III (and both of my IIs, etc).

That‘s my best suggestion. If what it does works for you, use it! If it doesn’t, change to something that does.

I typed a long response, then abandoned that in favor of just saying “I bought the FC12, loved the integration with the Axe Fx and build quality, but didn’t like the displays compared to my RJM. So I sold it.

In my opinion, then and still today, the FC series are what they are. Great in some ways, ok in others, but not everything to everyone. FAS has given no indication they’re changing them, so I can only assume they aren’t. So I use something else with my Axe Fx III (and both of my IIs, etc).

That‘s my best suggestion. If what it does works for you, use it! If it doesn’t, change to something that does.
I have been doing some research on going the RJM route . If Fractals Control Switches had midi implantation via RJM I would jump ship. Since I use those a lot I'm settling for the FC route . I've had many midi controllers over the years and the FC's are a beautiful solution , hope the future unveils alternate options as my eyes are not improving with age... :cool:

In my opinion, then and still today, the FC series are what they are. Great in some ways, ok in others, but not everything to everyone. FAS has given no indication they’re changing them, so I can only assume they aren’t.

That's fair, but FAS is very responsive to their customers and workable solutions to the problem have been proposed.

I'm not going to make any assumptions, but I hold out the hope that eventually....as with the addition of large font options to the AX8....FAS will do something to help.

Not being able to comfortably read the scribble strips limits the usefullness of the FC-12 for me. I can't use the computer with my glasses on and I can't read the scribble strips with them off. (Bifocals don't help one bit. I've tried several times.)

If I could change the size of the text and invert it to white on black, I could solve both of my issues.

Back
Top Bottom