Review - Axe FX 3 - After a year of using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're not dealing with an amp and effects...
And I'll add that amps and effects can get super-complicated, if you want to do the kinds of things with them you can do with the AF3. Just setting up a stereo signal path, that not only optimizes the way the effects will sound, but also gives you flexible routing options, and the ability to change multiple settings with only one foot tap, is complex. I didn't want to deal with that, which is a reason I chose the Axe (not to mention doing all the research to find the best effects for my purpose, and learning how to use them, and finding the best ways to switch them.) But I had no illusions that I wouldn't have to focus my learning in other directions.

I'm glad it's a deep piece of gear, but also that it didn't take a long time to get me up and running. I could stop now, and be totally satisfied for a long time. But if I want to continue to go deeper, I know where the info is. (I've actually added many bookmarks just for that potential future.)

Hmmm, I disagree with many of the criticisms in the review.

1. Please, no. Don't waste code space on "in game tutorials"!

2. I actually like having the editors for different devices open side by side. Not sure this would be possible if they used the same executable....

4. I like my phone, but I don't have to do everything on it. Honestly, I bought Al's very well coded third party IOS editor. Used it a few times and haven't touched it since. ymmv

5. Wow, I have to disagree with this. The Helix gets it so wrong. So many things are difficult/impossible to do with their approach. Don't touch my grid!

7. Marketing doesn't make the device sound better or add features. That's up to the company from a ROI standpoint, but I can't see why a user of the product would care.

No hate, I just see it differently....

7. Marketing doesn't make the device sound better or add features. That's up to the company from a ROI standpoint, but I can't see why a user of the product would care.
Fractal is a small company that concentrates on putting the most bang for the buck into their products and their support, and they rely on word-of-mouth from the users to advertise, because a happy user is the best advertising there is.

Line 6 has Yamaha behind them, so they have a big advertising budget. They also have placement in all sorts of big and small music stores who also advertise. Yet, Fractal is still leading the pack. People buy the "big name" modelers, then they hear what a Fractal is doing and suddenly their "big name" isn't that interesting any more. It often takes people several tries before they realize the hype and advertising don't equate to flexibility and sound quality.

What do you mean, specifically? I.e., is there a sales stat you know of? I'd love to know some accurate data along these lines that I could "share" with my Helix-loving musician friends...;)
I don't think he means sales volume. I doubt we sell more than Line6. Our goal isn't quantity of sales, it's quality of product and customer satisfaction. That helps ensure customer loyalty and concomitant company longevity.

There is no doubt that a slick easy UI sells units. Personally, I would prefer more great parameters to tweak -- over a redesign to a friendlier cold-start UI. However, a well thought out, well written, Authorized And Authoritative Quick-Start Manual, that would seriously baby-step an untechnical person through the most important knowledge and the most common goals -- one small task at a time -- might open the market up to a much wider group of less professional, less tech-savvy users (if that is wanted.) There is a wealth of great information concerning Fractal Units. There is actually almost too much of it -- with no strong sense of priority. A Singular Authority is the key factor to reducing a new user's paralyzing concern that they might be over-looking something important.

I do wish things could be searched by type. Amps( clean, glassy, rock, high-gain, metal,) IR's(manufacturer, model, alnico/ceramic.) It would just speed things up a little for me. It would be a memory aid. But, that is a far distant second, for me. High-quality, mutable, designable sound is what thrills me to no end.

(I just found out I can use Screen Frequency and Screen Q to emphasize, shape, or remove, pick-chirps and harmonics -- Nice!)

I haven't quite addressed the OP's concerns, directly. But, a good, definitive, step-by-baby-step, "Quick-Start Manual for Dummies" would make the jump into Fractal more inviting and less intimidating for many less-savvy users.

I don't think he means sales volume. I doubt we sell more than Line6. Our goal isn't quantity of sales, it's quality of product and customer satisfaction. That helps ensure customer loyalty and concomitant company longevity.
Exactly. Sales volume means little, except that their advertising dollars are at work.

What do you mean, specifically? I.e., is there a sales stat you know of? I'd love to know some accurate data along these lines that I could "share" with my Helix-loving musician friends...;)
Why do you need data? Simply let them plug into an FM3 or FX3 with Cygnus and hear and feel it.

I don't care if people insist their personal choice was the best, they're entitled to be wrong.

Why do you need data? Simply let them plug into an FM3 or FX3 with Cygnus and hear and feel it.

I don't care if people insist their personal choice was the best, they're entitled to be wrong.
I can't get the bastards to stop by! Always too busy. Adults with families & businesses, that sort of thing. But I don't miss a chance to share every cool new thing I discover with them in other ways.

This unit can be used without endless tweaking and completely overcomplicating things by anyone that has basic effects routing knowledge. You can still achieve stellar results...just use the authentic tab. Pretty sure I remember Larry Mitchell saying that's how he uses it during his interview with Marco. Sorry Larry if I'm wrong...lol
Anyway, if you aren't willing to put in a little work to learn the basics of a peice of gear that you just dropped over 2k on...sell it...it's not for you...get something else. Just know you will be missing out on alot of cool stuff you just can't find with other solutions.

😜🤘

Last edited:
Fan boys, hahaha
I think we're all fractal 'fan boys' man, no we don't hate you.. you're entitled to your opinion.

There are plenty of other modelers on the market that are more conducive to 'plug and play' or very basic, easy to use platforms and navigating options. As has been mentioned, Fractal devices are geared more toward professional players or 'more serious' players. Before owning a Fractal device I'll admit this idea made me shake my head and roll my eyes. After owning a few, including the Axe Fx III, I have to whole heartedly admit they make high end, professional devices.

The paralysis by analysis was staved off when I started looking at FAS devices like my own personal closet full of gear. I don't have to use everything, just what I want or need to accomplish the tone necessary or desired. If I want just an amp and cab I'll create a preset with just an amp and cab, not once feeling like I'm not using the Axe to its full potential. The purpose of gear is to provide tools necessary for one to meet their needs without compromise. If a device, amp or pedal allows the user to have no reason to blame their gear, it has reached its full potential.

Regarding the RTM remarks, the FX8 was the first FAS product I bought and is the first piece of guitar gear that required a basic understanding of the manual in order to use. This is a negative to some people and they either eventually dig in and read it or give up and move on. No one piece of gear is for everyone.

Last edited:
A device should make simple things first, then have the option of making advanced and parallel.

The Axe-FX III sit very wells between the simplicity of a Zoom FX processor and the hyper-complex Eventide H7600. The more advanced and flexible the device, the more learning curve is required if you want to squeeze its possibilities.

I disagree. That design approach is for consumer gear. Professional gear doesn't need to follow this approach at all. In fact, most professional gear does not.
This is a key point. The AxeFX is a professional audio equipment, and should be treated as such. If you want a consumer device, you get a Helix. It's not as "good" as the AxeFX, but it's much more accessible, because they're competing in different markets- the AxeFX in the professional market, the Helix in the consumer market.

I've never understood why products like the Helix, Kemper, Headrush, etc. have predefined spaces to put a certain block. Reverb goes at the end, and you can't change it. OD goes before the amp, and you can't change it. There's only one "modulation" block, and you can't change the location. It's simple, but it takes a ton of creative ability out of it. I like the grid in the AxeFX, because I can do anything, even stuff that shouldn't (or doesn't) sound good.

1. The learning curve of the AX3 is way harder than it competitors. It took me 6 months to actually realise the basics of this device. Why people need to go to a Leon Todd video to find out that they need to change their AC Line frequency? Or else, using the device itself, and not Axe Edit is way to difficult and un-intuative - For example, scrolling for different presets. Why do I need to go one by one instead of getting a list of all my presets and scroll to the right one ASAP?
Or else - Why is the preset naming/scene naming isn't with the same window as the Signal Path window? So I can know what I'm editing without pressing exit so many times.

Not to be rude but if "learning the basics" means getting to this point:

1622556983094.png

...and then clicking on a block, for example the amp block, to reveal its controls like this below:

1622558992888.png

...if it takes six months to work that out, that's not really Fractal's fault.

Personally I think the Axe Edit interface is about as intuitive and simple as it could be while still providing all the options it does. On the grid, right-click for block selection menu, then once your blocks are there, draw a simple line for your signal path. To adjust something, click on a block to reveal its controls. The "main" controls are always prominently displayed first, and then if you want to go digging through the other tabs (which are also intelligently organized), you can.

And really, the front panel interface isn't much different.

Last edited:
Not to be rude but if "learning the basics" means getting to this point:

View attachment 84164

...and then clicking on a block, for example the amp block, to reveal its controls like this below:

View attachment 84170

...and it took you six months to work that out, that's not really Fractal's fault.

Personally I think the Axe Edit interface is about as intuitive and simple as it could be while still providing all the options it does. On the grid, right-click for block selection menu, then once your blocks are there, draw a simple line for your signal path. To adjust something, click on a block to reveal its controls. The "main" controls are always prominently displayed first, and then if you want to go digging through the other tabs (which are also intelligently organized), you can.

And really, the front panel interface isn't much different.
Agreed, the grid really can't be harder than a real setup can it? Plug your guitar in to a pedal, use a cable to connect to the amp, cable between amp and cab, done.

It's in fact easier through the grid, because you don't have to worry about cable sizes, wrong connection type, blowing up an amp head, etc. It's the exact same thing as the real world, just presented through a 2D screen. Edit - and don't get me started on if my pedal needs a battery or plugged in, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom