10 Questions about Reverb

McillateA

Ten or way more than that, but can't number all of them. Why? I don't know

Yes just flew with ten to land on a satisfying number.

Gonna spend a few days studying/working hard on everything possible about reverb, advanced parameters etc.
I've read the Wiki Reverb Plugin, Reverb Block and Blocks Guide Reverb Block pages and a few questions remain;

1. Are there dedicated algorithms for different room sizes, or is the difference only in the values typed in the parameters?

2. Are there real life reference rooms used for the different sizes, or someone tuned them by ear to sound small, medium, large etc?

3. Large Wooden Room gets its own number because wood is cool, so is it actually based on a real wooden room or just made to sound "wooden"?

(Only mentioning the Room type to keep it as short as possible but equally interested in all the other types.)

4. So the Cumulonimbuses and Deep Spaces and such don't have their dedicated algos, but are derived from the other types? By typing insane bigger than life values.

5. Is the FAS-FX Reverb plugin getting an update or a new version based on the updated algorithms? Has it ever been updated since first release? It's still completely amazing.

6. Why are the early reflections (Mic Spacing) often panned more towards the middle than the overall Stereo Spread parameter?

7. Using headphones: If i want to place myself in a virtual room as realistically as possible, should i pan the Mic Spacing and Stereo Spread both 100%, because that's how ears would hear it in the real room? Or would that mean lack of crossfeed, or is there always crossfeed in the case of reverb? Are these viable questions to ask? I'm not exactly sure what i'm talking about, hence all the questions.

8. Has anyone written a book about digital reverb? Any book recommendations?

9. Anyone actually read one?

10. Would the Echo Density and various Diffusion parameters be equivalent to talking about the "Frame Rate" of the reverb? Does real reverb have such a thing? Do ears, brain, reality? How close would digital reverb be to reality? Sure it's the same question as modeling versus the Tubes.

Thank you for everything. Remember to use your ears. Even more than that i encourage people to use their brains. But don't overthink it. Especially in audio. And especially in art.

1. Yes.
2. The types are based on parametric data that is available in the literature, i.e. RT60, absorption coefficients for various materials, etc.
3. See #2.]
4. Ancient Chinese Secret.
5. Yes, soon.
6. Because that's the way I did it. Spread only controls the tail.
7. The algorithm is not intended to be a binaural simulator.
8. Probably.
9. Not me.
10. No. No. Yes. Only you can answer that as it's a perception thing. Simulated reverb is often considered superior to real reverb for musical purposes.

1. Yes.
2. The types are based on parametric data that is available in the literature, i.e. RT60, absorption coefficients for various materials, etc.
3. See #2.]
4. Ancient Chinese Secret.
5. Yes, soon.
6. Because that's the way I did it. Spread only controls the tail.
7. The algorithm is not intended to be a binaural simulator.
8. Probably.
9. Not me.
10. No. No. Yes. Only you can answer that as it's a perception thing. Simulated reverb is often considered superior to real reverb for musical purposes.
Thank you. This information helps me solve the Chinese Secrets, maybe even the North Korean.

About number: 1.
Just to make sure i understand a simple "Yes."
If i were to copypaste all the parameter values from say small room to large room, it still wouldn't be the exact same reverb, because the underlying algorithm is inherently different?

Thank you. This information helps me solve the Chinese Secrets, maybe even the North Korean.

About number: 1.
Just to make sure i understand a simple "Yes."
If i were to copypaste all the parameter values from say small room to large room, it still wouldn't be the exact same reverb, because the underlying algorithm is inherently different?
Yes, there are tons of hidden values, in every block, not just reverb.

stoked for the Reverb Plugin (and any theoretical/potential/future FAS plugin for that matter haha)
Me too. I use the FAS-Fx Reverb all the time, it's great. I would gladly buy any other plugins from Fractal too until they decide to finally release a plugin version of the Axe-Fx (a man can dream, right?).

It’s not a secret anymore, I read it in a fortune cookie, Confucius said “don’t eat yellow snow”.
Oh man, man was an absolute ancient chinese genius, but i guess the task now is to find out what this guidance actually means.

Back
Top Bottom