Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 16.01 "Cygnus"

I usually use headphones with a correction curve in the Global EQ, and I like how many of the presets came alive with Cygnus. But today I've been playing thru my Mesa 20/20 and 2 4x12 Recto cabs, since nobody's home... I disabled the EQ, but I leave the Power Amp Modelling and Speaker Cab Sim on, and I just scrolled thru the first 50 presets, and easily 25 sounded great to me, albeit with that Recto cab flavor (but I like that for now.)

So I don't know what to say other than have you checked the basics: You know, everything? Fresh strings, good cable, Power Amp Modelling and Cab Sim ON, latest FW..., you don't have the Global EQ set to something weird...? Have you loaded the updated presets?
Like your set up! Those 20/20 Mesa amps are nice! I used a power amp and my Mesa 4x12 to see if things warmed up( tried cab Sims in active and bypass) all my cables are good. I will have to check the global eq. It could be some of the warmer/ muffled sounding presets need more volume, maybe they brighten up some. The power amp I tried is SS , wasn't expecting anything glorious just hoped the 4x12 would maybe let the low end resonate. I have not dug around much in the global eq..maybe something is off. Regards

New user here as well. Can not seem to find a warm sound at lower volumes .then the ones I like at lower volumes sound like a WA is on and there is no depth or resonance. I am playing thru 1 HR108

You happen to know that know that I have the ASC-12 and the HR108 :). I've been playing with a lot of new amps in this firmware that I never would have before. I like mid gain crunchy rock tones and sometimes the 108 can get a little boxy and harsh. I set my global EQ to have about a -6db notch at 1500hz with a fairly narrow Q. Then in a PEQ, I notch out 400hz for the boxiness about -3db and again another notch at 1500 to taste depending on the amp and cabinet. I also have my 108's pole mounted because they can have some pretty serious boom for such a small cabinet.

I hope the Dizzy silver 2 doesn't change in the near future. It's one of my new favorite crunchtastic amps.

You happen to know that know that I have the ASC-12 and the HR108 :). I've been playing with a lot of new amps in this firmware that I never would have before. I like mid gain crunchy rock tones and sometimes the 108 can get a little boxy and harsh. I set my global EQ to have about a -6db notch at 1500hz with a fairly narrow Q. Then in a PEQ, I notch out 400hz for the boxiness about -3db and again another notch at 1500 to taste depending on the amp and cabinet. I also have my 108's pole mounted because they can have some pretty serious boom for such a small cabinet.

I hope the Dizzy silver 2 doesn't change in the near future. It's one of my new favorite crunchtastic amps.
Thank you!! Will try this for sure. Mine was user error , had output set to -10. Changed to +4 and changed from stereo to L-R. Huge difference. Interesting, seller had it paired with studio monitors , seems the output level should have been good for the 108. That made me think. It's 2000 watts should definitely have warm tones at moderate volumes. What a difference. Addiction!!!

I usually use headphones with a correction curve in the Global EQ, and I like how many of the presets came alive with Cygnus. But today I've been playing thru my Mesa 20/20 and 2 4x12 Recto cabs, since nobody's home... I disabled the EQ, but I leave the Power Amp Modelling and Speaker Cab Sim on, and I just scrolled thru the first 50 presets, and easily 25 sounded great to me, albeit with that Recto cab flavor (but I like that for now.)

So I don't know what to say other than have you checked the basics: You know, everything? Fresh strings, good cable, Power Amp Modelling and Cab Sim ON, latest FW..., you don't have the Global EQ set to something weird...? Have you loaded the updated presets?
Thanks for the help! It was the basics. Output level was @-10 and set to stereo. Changed to l-r and to +4db. Huge difference. It's definitely made a huge difference in headroom as before I was turning output 1 to halfway to mimic drummer in the room volume and it seemed obvious something can't be right. Wondering what 2 frfr in stereo with some resonate birch would add vs 1 frfr/plastic enclosed. Seems fractal would capitalize on the frfr market and build some fractal specific cabs. Would be a waiting list I'd bet!!

Hi ! Attempt to cover this song (sorry for the mistakes ) ... with the 16.01 JP2C in shred mode , sound really good to me (as I own the real amp for those who dont know)
Thank you for this improvment .
next big wish for axe 3 : no more gap between scenes /channels

Last edited:

What is your global output set to? -10 or +4? Thanks in advance

I use +4 for the Friedman and the 108's. I think you would be hard pressed to find any of these monitors/FRFR's that wouldn't be +4.
Odly enough, I used the -10 setting for my power amp and 4x12 and it was not a good representation of how awsome the ax3 sounds. I as well turned cab sins on and off, left amp Sims on. I did have out set in stereo vs l-R, maybe that's why. I believe I am posting this in the wrong section. Apologies to all if so.

Seems fractal would capitalize on the frfr market and build some fractal specific cabs. Would be a waiting list I'd bet!!
I don't know how FRFR manufactures promote and sell their speakers. If they do so by letting people try them out with a Fractal product, this will stop the moment Fractal enters the FRFR market. People don't like to draw attention to competing brands. The same mechanism has been seen in the Hi-Fi world.

I don't know how FRFR manufactures promote and sell their speakers. If they do so by letting people try them out with a Fractal product, this will stop the moment Fractal enters the FRFR market. People don't like to draw attention to competing brands. The same mechanism has been seen in the Hi-Fi world.
Any online dealer has a 45 day return policy, no questions asked unless you return it damaged. Not sure I understand your post. It is not my place to suggest what anyone does or does not do. So mentioning fractal building frfr is a pipe dream of mine and has zero marketing affiliates

Fairly certain FAS has already opined on this speaker biz … Nonstarter.

BTW - the cyckness continues... just superb

A late adopter to Cygnus with skipping 16.00 altogether, but this is pretty sweet overall! Apologies if I'm already rehashing old stuff, but I imagine these threads are good for providing feedback/what I noticed.

I started out with my go to setup (Matrix power amp + 2x12 guitar cabinets) and I immediately noticed some improvements with the Jazz Chorus model. I appreciate @Gl4th's post over in the FM3 Cygnus beta thread summarizing all of the Friedman model changes as it helped me figure out why my default rhythm sound seemed so different. On 15.01 I was using the Friedman HBE and the amp it was changed to upon updating to 16.01 was the HBE V3. Once I changed it back to the 16.01 equivalent (HBE 2010) I was back in my happy place. I don't know if I'd say I noticed a huge change in the overall feel as the Axe 3 MKII has always felt wonderful to me, but I definitely noticed some subtle but noticeable changes in the distortion. It just seemed easier on the ears and there was even a slightly different chunk/growl to my palm muting.

I eventually moved over to my powered speaker setup to checkout it out the update with cabinet modelling and funny enough I think I actually enjoy the HBE V3 more than the HBE 2010 in this context. I don't go direct as often, but when I record/go direct again I'll have to spend more time fine tuning which model I plan to use. I ran through some other distortion sounds I use on occasion for recording and immediately noticed improvements in the the 5153 models & the Recto Orange (my god the Recto Orange caught me by surprise). Similar to what some users have reported, I will admit noticing the "blanket over the amp sound" with other amps, but I think that could probably be overcome it I spent more time tweaking.

I would've been perfectly happy and content on 15.01, but I'm also very happy to be here on 16.01 so thank you Fractal for continually providing us with new goods! :)

Time to binge some @2112 Cygnus videos to catch up on all the new tips and tricks :D

Hi
That’s the second time in a few day that my axe 3 freeze just after power it up 🥺. The output (or input?dont remember) vu meter lights are at the maximum and I need to reboot the unit . It never happened before 16.01
Dont know if it’s related
If you had a similar experience or … tell me back
I had this happen yesterday. I booted up put headphones on and heard a little “pop” and the Output LEDs maxed out and stayed on until I rebooted. No guitar plugged in yet and output 1 knob at Zero. Only happened once and nothing special about that boot…

I had this happen yesterday. I booted up put headphones on and heard a little “pop” and the Output LEDs maxed out and stayed on until I rebooted. No guitar plugged in yet and output 1 knob at Zero. Only happened once and nothing special about that boot…
This exactly also occurred once to my III in 16.01 with no further affect.

I am with you in regards to Dizzy silver 2 - even though it´s not authentic now, it sounds better than my real VH4 ch.2.

But for majority of guys, who loves Diezels, current model of famous Diezel VH4 Ch.3 is far from sounding similar to the real deal.

It´s one of my go-to sounds with real amps, but with AXE 3, there´s so much to explore, that it´s OK for me.

Once it will be fixed, it´s going to be like coming home to see your family after some time spent in separation 🙃

Apparently 16.2 is in the pipeline and anout to be released. Just a few bug fixes or.....another neat improvement?

Back
Top Bottom