Wish Active Name Mini-Display Label (alternate Current Name) when using Scene Toggle

Johan Allard

Power User
There's been suggestions on a few threads on this forum the problematic behaviour of the Mini-Display Label when set to Current Name combined with multiple scene Toggle Switches. I think that the current implementation is a bug but apparently it isn't (https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-names-on-fm3-mini-labels.161718/post-1937390). So since there are people that like the current implementation, and there's also a lot of us that think that the current implementation is not usable, I wish that another Mini-Display Label function gets added, called "Active Name".

The problem with the current implementation

Imagine the current switch configuration:

Switch 1: Toggle Scene 1/4, Mini-Display Label set as “Current Name”
Switch 2: Toggle Scene 2/5, Mini-Display Label set as “Current Name”
Switch 3: Toggle Scene 3/6, Mini-Display Label set as “Current Name”

Configured Scenes:
Scene 1 name: Sound A
Scene 2 name: Sound B
Scene 3 name: Sound C
Scene 4 name: Sound D
Scene 5 name: Sound E
Scene 6 name: Sound F

Current behaviour:
Scene 1 enabled, switches [1] [2] [3] show [Sound A] [Sound A] [Sound A]
Scene 4 enabled, switches [1] [2] [3] show [Sound D] [Sound D] [Sound D]

Desired behaviour:
Scene 1 enabled, switches [1] [2] [3] show [Sound A] [Sound B] [Sound C]
Scene 4 enabled, switches [1] [2] [3] show [Sound D] [Sound B] [Sound C]

Why is this desirable
Often when I'm playing, I'm quickly looking at my FM3 to see what scene is currently enabled. This is often a sort of a safety blanket - did I engage the Lead Scene? Did I switch to the Chorus scene? Imagine if you will a traditional pedalboard and a quick glance what pedals are engaged and which ones aren't.

Wish
My wish is either that the "Current Name" only displays the Current Name for the active switch, or that we add an additional option "Active Name", that would show the Active Name on the switch that's engaged, and the default scene on the non-engaged switches.

I think I get it; if the current scene is not one of the ones set for a given footswitch, then it won't show the current scene; it'll show the scene you'll go to if you hit it. Even though I've learned to look at the main display for the current scene (or know what scene I'm on based on what the scribble strip shows will be the destination if I stomp it), I can see how this could be handy.

+1

Or maybe just have the current scene in the main display larger and bold? Then one can keep the destination in the mini display at the button.
No, using “Current Name” does not show the destination name as in my problem description. And sure, having bigger/better display in the main window would be useful in other scenarios, like when “Destination Name” or scene numbers. But the problem when using “Current Name” still exists.

I think I get it; if the current scene is not one of the ones set for a given footswitch, then it won't show the current scene; it'll show the scene you'll go to if you hit it. Even though I've learned to look at the main display for the current scene (or know what scene I'm on based on what the scribble strip shows will be the destination if I stomp it), I can see how this could be handy.

+1
Yes, some people like “Destination Name” same as there are those of us that would like “Current Name” to work the way I wished for above.

No, using “Current Name” does not show the destination name as in my problem description. And sure, having bigger/better display in the main window would be useful in other scenarios, like when “Destination Name” or scene numbers. But the problem when using “Current Name” still exists.

Sorry, think u misunderstood. Still use destination in mini-display.

My problem is setting switch 1 to toggle between Scene 1 and 4 with display set to current name. If I hit switch 2 it shows it's name on switch 1 and 2. Why would I want switch 2's name to all of a sudden be on switch 1 as well as its real location of switch 2?

My problem is setting switch 1 to toggle between Scene 1 and 4 with display set to current name. If I hit switch 2 it shows it's name on switch 1 and 2. Why would I want switch 2's name to all of a sudden be on switch 1 as well as its real location of switch 2?
Yes, that’s what my wish is all about. I don’t think it makes any sense either.

Back
Top Bottom