Returning my Axe FX? Or am I?

• Thread starter Deleted member 79338
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 79338

Well, I had a wobble yesterday.

With a week left on my Axe FX returns policy I decided to return it, I just couldn't justify the cost for my use. All I used was one amp model with a delay block.

Before returning, I plugged my JCM800 and Two Notes Reload back in and rerecorded a song I was writing with the Axe, I have to say it sounded good.

Great, £2500 back in the bank.

Then I went back to the same song but the version I recorded with my Axe FX 3.......HOLY SHIT did it sound immense. I don't think I have smiled that much at a guitar tone.

I then sat there and dialed in a Mesa, Fender, USA Lead and USA Clean......yes they also sounded fantastic.

In 30 minutes I had 5 great sounding amps, in 5 minutes with a delay block on USA Clean I had the makings of a new song.

Just plain and simply fantastic, so much so.....I just sold my beloved JCM800.

Just saying.

I sold my Axe FX III

... because the FM3 was easier to carry back and forth to multiple band practices every week.

Had me in the first half...I can't honestly see how anyone would sell their AxeFX unless upgrading to a newer version...

I sold my Axe FX III

... because the FM3 was easier to carry back and forth to multiple band practices every week.
Haha, to be honest the price of the controller for the Axe FX, it's wise to go FM3 and I probably will if I play guitar out again ......currently looking.

I don't know much about the FM3 but I gather it's got all the same effects in. If I could duplicate the sounds in such a small form factor that would be amazing.

Funny how that works.
It is, as the Reload and JCM800 was a huge step up from the Kemper, I half expected the Axe to be a little less or a little more than the Reload........they where world's apart.

Had me in the first half...I can't honestly see how anyone would sell their AxeFX unless upgrading to a newer version...
Sorry bud, it was never meant to be click bait, but I see now that I should work in advertising!

I am more than happy with the sounds I get. What was eye opening was I am not an effects guy. I don't like overdrives or distortions into clean amps, I much prefer the amp tone with a clean boost to tighten things up. I used zero modulation effects on the Kemper as I thought maybe I just don't like effects. Since having the Axe I have spent a load of very constructive time building effects up with great results. Getting beautiful stereo lead effects, ambient intros, phasers played under main riffs so it's there, but you can't fully hear it......it's been fun

Good to read this! I keep my old Marshall tube amp exactly for moments like this. I plug it in every year or so, wondering if I can catch that sound, then realise quickly I'm getting a better result from my AxeFX3. :) The reason I won't sell the Marshall is simply because it is a good reminder for me!

I can one up you. ;) I sent my axe back to fractal within the return period, but I had a change of heart and paid UPS to intercept the package and send it back to me before it got there. I'm so glad I decided to keep it!
Haha.....don't get cocky!

I’ve owned an Axe Fx III twice, a Helix twice and a Kemper once. If you take the time with each you know that you can get usable tones out of all of them. But, Fractal makes the best. You can make more than useable tones. The amps and effects come alive under your fingers, it’s truly breathtaking. I think after Cygnus there is no questions in my mind anymore. I plug in and it’s instant heaven.

With a week left on my Axe FX returns policy I decided to return it, I just couldn't justify the cost for my use. All I used was one amp model with a delay block.

Before returning, I plugged my JCM800 and Two Notes Reload back in and rerecorded a song I was writing with the Axe, I have to say it sounded good.

Then I went back to the same song but the version I recorded with my Axe FX 3.......HOLY SHIT did it sound immense. I don't think I have smiled that much at a guitar tone.

I then sat there and dialed in a Mesa, Fender, USA Lead and USA Clean......yes they also sounded fantastic.

In 30 minutes I had 5 great sounding amps, in 5 minutes with a delay block on USA Clean I had the makings of a new song.

Just saying.

That's nuts! :)

I was forced to sell my beloved 1986 JCM800 a couple of years ago. Now that I have
the FM3 and use those great JCM800 style amp models I miss it more than ever. :(

That's nuts! :)

I was forced to sell my beloved 1986 JCM800 a couple of years ago. Now that I have
the FM3 and use those great JCM800 style amp models I miss it more than ever. :(
I took the JCM800 to rehearsal for our guitarst to use and it sounded awesome, it is a truly great amp.

I own the 2525h so I would use that in a band or possibly buy either an FM3 or the SC20h

Have you read the Artists' comments? These are PROS, claiming they've either eliminated their amps entirely, or combined all their 'effects loop' effects into just the Axe Fx. That's high praise indeed, and not much more can be said, imo.

John Petrucci, The Edge, Steve Vai, Steve Stevens, Trevor Rabin, Tosin, Dweezil, Alex Lifeson, Guthrie Govan, Neil Schon, Danny Elfman, etc, etc, etc...

Check it out.

Just saying.
Although I don't use my AXE III to near its fullest potential, I like the fact that as I progress on my guitar journey, I have all the power and options right at my fingertips. The money is gone, who cares. I have my FX III and it is so much fun to play around with. Who says American ingenuity is dead?

Back
Top Bottom