Any Apple Airtag Users?

Exactly how I'm thinking of them. I figure sprinkling them among my gig bags, or gluing them inside the control cavity and such will help get them returned if the worst happens.

I'm curious what makes them any better than Tile which has been doing this many years. :veryconfused:
Apple gets to leverage every iPhone in the field for their network. Tile only gets to leverage devices where the app is installed and permissions are allowed for it to report back.

One of those is a significantly larger and more distributed base than the other.

I have some AirTags, and so far they seem pretty great. I put one on my keychain, and the others are in guitar cases, my backpack, and in my camera bag. Pretty handy, and quite small. I like @bradlake 's idea of throwing one in the car. Definitely would come in handy when I'm parked in a big lot, or out in unfamiliar territory.

I think they are expensive. And add the cost of holders to that.

I read that they are already hacked.

I think they are expensive. And add the cost of holders to that.

I read that they are already hacked.
The tag itself isn't that expensive but the vanity holders are. I'd ignore the holder as it'd be counter to what I'd want to do with it, which is drop it into a hard to detect part of my gig bag, inside the control cavity of a guitar or velcro it way up in an amp cabinet.

According to 9to5Mac the hacks are pretty innocuous, and, as they say in the article, Apple's sure to secure the holes quickly.

Indeed. But I need a holder to attach one to my keys...
I can see they'd be expensive to help track keys and yeah, the holder then becomes more important. I'd be tempted to try attaching the tag to a generic holder using a square of the high-strength 3M Dual Lock. That stuff holds really well.

Wonder if you stick one to a guitar cavity cover inside if they would cause any interference? wouldn't be a bad idea for us weekend small bar warriors. Pretty cheap tracker for lost stolen gear.

Wonder if you stick one to a guitar cavity cover inside if they would cause any interference? wouldn't be a bad idea for us weekend small bar warriors. Pretty cheap tracker for lost stolen gear.
Tracking stolen items is the big question everybody has about airtags. Compared to $700 for a lojack, it could be an inexpensive way to track a stolen car or guitar. It might work. The problem is, it has an anti-stalker mechanism. If it's near a phone that doesn't belong to you for a period of time, it emits a noise to let the owner of that phone know about its presence. That's to prevent a stalker from slipping one into the clothing of an unsuspecting person without that person's knowledge. However, that noise would also alert a thief. So, it's hard to say yet if it would be an effective anti-theft device.

I also thought about getting a few for my everyday carry bag, for my guitars and so on. But nowadays my guitars only occasionally leave my house and I always got an eye on my stuff...
And the anti-stalking stuff kind of takes the fun away ..:D

There is a quick vid out there that shows how to easily remove the speaker from an AirTag - so the chirp wouldn't be an issue....

Im using them on all of my socks, I'll always find them now, I never knew they like to hid behind the dryer...

Back
Top Bottom