IRs York Audio Master Thread - Newest Cab Pack: KW 412 M25-SH

Third-party impulse response pack
I have a few of the York and I think they are excellent and very good value for money

I do have a question about importing them with the various options on the FM3

If the FM3 is set to MPT - should I be importing the MPT files or the Natural Phase?
If I change the FM3 to auto trim and import the York MPT are there any audio differences.

I have a few of the York and I think they are excellent and very good value for money

If the FM3 is set to MPT - should I be importing the MPT files or the Natural Phase?
I
OLD answer from york audio ; (Fractal forum link couldnt be posted -'spam like')

Personally, I just import the MPT versions so you don’t get any weird phase issues if you want to blend different cabs. I’d also recommend making sure your Cab block’s High Cut on the Preamp page set all the way up to 20k (it used to default to 10k, so double check that). Starting with this gives you optimal clarity and perception of your tone. If you want to alter the phase relationship of the IRs, you can use the Align feature in the cab block to slightly delay one of the mics. That helps if two MPT IRs sound too fizzy and you want to tame the top end a bit.

And just my two cents, I wouldn’t use the Air in the cab block. IRs are already accurate representations of the mic’ed cabinet, so that’s just an additional EQ that moves you away from authenticity. If you want more top end, you’re likely to get more natural results by tweaking the presence and treble controls on the amp.

I picked up two more Demon speakers that sound WAY better than my original one. I’m gonna reach out to my cab guy and see if he has any of the new York Audio cab prototypes ready. If he does, I’ll throw those bad boys in one of the cabs as see if our new design improvements make the cut.

I’m going to shoot those as well. I really like that speaker a lot!

I have a Black Shadow, Alnico Gold, and two Alnico Creams. It’s gonna be fun figuring out which cabs to put them in.
Try alnico creams in Friedman Cab.

I have 2 al. creams on top and 2 redbacks on bottom.

I swapped out way too many different celestions and settled on this combination.

Sound amazeballs !

If you could make this cab pack a reality, I would buy it in a heartbeat :).

I have all your cab packs, and my all around favourite is 5153YA :)

Attachments

• 33017F23-8BD7-48F6-AF5A-72F658410B2F.png
    33017F23-8BD7-48F6-AF5A-72F658410B2F.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 0029B9BD-6125-4CFA-B92D-801FD8E62AE4.png
    0029B9BD-6125-4CFA-B92D-801FD8E62AE4.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 3

If I change the FM3 to auto trim and import the York MPT are there any audio differences.
I still just import the MPT files and keep the Fractal set at MPT. Keep it simple and use the Align feature if you want to shift the phase relationships between mics.

I'm going to continue to scream at the top of my lugns for the 88 Marshall Vintage in the Steve Stevens cab until it happens ;)
Ole Stevie is loaded with the Lynchbacks at the moment and sounds pretty friggen sweet!

Try alnico creams in Friedman Cab.

I have 2 al. creams on top and 2 redbacks on bottom.

I swapped out way too many different celestions and settled on this combination.

Sound amazeballs !

If you could make this cab pack a reality, I would buy it in a heartbeat :).

I have all your cab packs, and my all around favourite is 5153YA :)
That’s a cool idea. I only have one Redback at the moment, so I’ll need to grab another one. I completely forgot about that speaker. Thanks for the tip.

Im anxious to hear how the Mesa Fillmore's sound
I got my second Covid shot yesterday and dealing with a pretty intense Pfizer hangover today, but I grabbed a few prototype cabs from my cab builder yesterday and I’m gonna throw the Fillmores in them to see how they sound. That’s a really cool speaker as well.

Revisiting presets assembled for experimentation and stumbled upon a 59 Bassman / CarolAnnOD2 preset I had thrown together.

MAAAAAAN! That Bassman sounds GOOOOOD with the YA BMAN 410 cab, mic'ed with 57-2 and a bit of 121-1....

I have a question about the speaker impedance curves. If I am recording using my axfx into my interface would I use one of the load box curves or would I use the large recto curve if I am using the Mesa OS cab pack? When I'm recording one of my tube amps I run it through a load box into an IR loader loaded in my DAW. Any help clarifying this would be helpful. @York Audio

I have a question about the speaker impedance curves. If I am recording using my axfx into my interface would I use one of the load box curves or would I use the large recto curve if I am using the Mesa OS cab pack? When I'm recording one of my tube amps I run it through a load box into an IR loader loaded in my DAW. Any help clarifying this would be helpful. @York Audio
You’d want to use the Recto Large curve if you’re using the Mesa OS pack. That’ll give you the best results with the Fractal. I only use the load box curves when I’m comparing real amps to amp models and need them to see as close to the same curve as possible, but choosing the impedance curve closest to the cab your IR is based on will be the most accurate. Does that answer your question? Let me know if I need to clarify anything.

You’d want to use the Recto Large curve if you’re using the Mesa OS pack. That’ll give you the best results with the Fractal. I only use the load box curves when I’m comparing real amps to amp models and need them to see as close to the same curve as possible, but choosing the impedance curve closest to the cab your IR is based on will be the most accurate. Does that answer your question? Let me know if I need to clarify anything.
That's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure if the load boxes were more for recording purposes and the actual curves for the cabinets would be for more of a live setting through a FRFR speaker. Thanks Justin. Looking forward to getting some more packs. In fact I'm getting a strat real soon and I would love to get close to that classic strat tone through a fender double verb or something comparable. Which of your amazing Cab packs would you recommend or should I just buy them all?

Is there any sort of guide line for the speaker impedance knob in the power amp section of the fractal that we should pay attention to when it comes to your cabs? For example I believe the Bogner is a 16 ohm cabinet vs the Mesa OS is an 8 ohm. I'm sure there are stock settings for each type of amp as to what their impedance is like, maybe the block letter is 8 ohms and the HBE is 16 ohms or something to that effect? @York Audio

That's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure if the load boxes were more for recording purposes and the actual curves for the cabinets would be for more of a live setting through a FRFR speaker. Thanks Justin. Looking forward to getting some more packs. In fact I'm getting a strat real soon and I would love to get close to that classic strat tone through a fender double verb or something comparable. Which of your amazing Cab packs would you recommend or should I just buy them all?
If you’re using Fractal amp modeling for direct recording or with a matching live cabinet, use the cab’s impedance curve. You don’t need to mess with the LB-2 curves unless you have an actual LB-2 and are wanting to clone your real amp with Axe and need them both to see the same curve for an apples to apples comparison.

For your Fender tones, all three of my Fender packs are quite different, so it depends on what you’re looking for.

1. 1966 Deluxe Reverb 1x12 - Prominent midrange and rounded top end.

2. 1960 Bassman 4x10 - Unique midrange character and slightly darker top end.

3. 1969 Princeton 1x10 - Deep low end, scooped midrange, and glassy top end.

They’re all great, but definitely have their own personalities.

Is there any sort of guide line for the speaker impedance knob in the power amp section of the fractal that we should pay attention to when it comes to your cabs? For example I believe the Bogner is a 16 ohm cabinet vs the Mesa OS is an 8 ohm. I'm sure there are stock settings for each type of amp as to what their impedance is like, maybe the block letter is 8 ohms and the HBE is 16 ohms or something to that effect? @York Audio
That would be a question for Cliff. I’m not sure what impedance he uses when he models an amp or if it’s possible to change the amp’s impedance to 16, 8, or 4 ohms. That would certainly be a cool feature for the wish list though.

If you’re using Fractal amp modeling for direct recording or with a matching live cabinet, use the cab’s impedance curve. You don’t need to mess with the LB-2 curves unless you have an actual LB-2 and are wanting to clone your real amp with Axe and need them both to see the same curve for an apples to apples comparison.

For your Fender tones, all three of my Fender packs are quite different, so it depends on what you’re looking for.

1. 1966 Deluxe Reverb 1x12 - Prominent midrange and rounded top end.

2. 1960 Bassman 4x10 - Unique midrange character and slightly darker top end.

3. 1969 Princeton 1x10 - Deep low end, scooped midrange, and glassy top end.

They’re all great, but definitely have their own personalities.
Please excuse if this is already asked and answered, but what would you say are the "natural" or "realistic" impedance curves for each of those cabs?

Please excuse if this is already asked and answered, but what would you say are the "natural" or "realistic" impedance curves for each of those cabs?
Directly from the list, I’d say 1x12 Deluxe Verb, 4x10 Bassguy, and probably the 1x10 Princetone SF. I made those packs before getting my impedance measuring hardware/software, but those are the curves in my presets with those cabs.

Just got the 5153 VH20 pack, and it’s amazing; however, I’m trying to use two cabs for stereo and pan them. Besides the usual 57/121 combo, what mic combinations does everyone recommend?

Last edited:
Just got the 5153 VH20 pack, and it’s amazing; however, I’m trying to use two cabs for stereo and pan them. Besides the usual 57/121 combo, what mic combinations does everyone recommend?
If you’re running stereo, are you wanting two different tones for left and right, or are you wanting the same tone left and right with stereo effects?

If it were me, I would use two IRs that are fairly similar sounding so that your ear doesn’t lean towards whichever tone is brighter. You can try single 57s on each side or if you want to keep the 57-121 vibe, try Mix 01 on one side and Mix 02 on the other... or pick your favorite Mix for one side and experiment with different Mixes on the other side until you find two that compliment each other in a pleasing way.

Because knowing the perfect integration between amp sim and ir why york audio don t realise the complete patches?

Thanks! Yeah, was wanting to keep them similar-ish, so thought of using the mixes :)

Will use the stereo thickening trick of panning them 15 and -15, and setting proximity to 1 and 2, and then the modern setting of the enhancer set to 100 wide.

Because knowing the perfect integration between amp sim and ir why york audio don t realise the complete patches?
I don’t think I fully understand your question, but are you asking why I don’t include full presets in my packs?

If so, then I have a few reasons. First of all, cabs can sound great with lots of different amps, so there isn’t really a specific “only use THIS amp with THIS cab” solution. I normally use 8 or more amps to test each cab and find that even odd pairings can give you great tones. All that to say, I put my focus on capturing the cabinet and let the player determine the amp that’s right for the tone and feel they want.

Secondly, every player has their own sound in their fingers. Every guitar sounds different. And everyone has a different listening environment. This means that a patch created by someone that sounds great with their hands, their guitar, and their listening environment probably won’t translate appropriately to everyone who tries the patch with their own gear. Allowing players to dial in their own tones to suit their needs tends to give them quicker results than having to tweak someone else’s patch that may not align with their tonal tastes.

Thirdly, amp modeling firmware changes all the time. So if I made presets using Firmware “X” and then Firmware “Y” comes out... I’d have to redo presets for every cab. Since York Audio is just one person, I don’t have enough time to do something like that along with product development and customer service However, if people need recommendations for starting points, I’m always happy to fire up the Axe, try some things, and offer an opinion that I hope helps them.

I’m always around if you have any questions or need help getting tones.

Thanks! Yeah, was wanting to keep them similar-ish, so thought of using the mixes :)

Will use the stereo thickening trick of panning them 15 and -15, and setting proximity to 1 and 2, and then the modern setting of the enhancer set to 100 wide.
If you’re using Mixes, I would try them without boosting the Proximity parameter. That’s basically just a low end EQ that can quickly muddy a tone if you’re using blended mics. If you’re using single mics and want a little more low end that you can’t get from the Amp block controls, then you can use Proximity for a little more beef. Just be careful. A little goes a long way when you’re stacking elements.

I always suggest running your Axe like a real rig. So if you’re wanting to go stereo, you’ll probably want things hard panned or 90 and -90 with a faint room Reverb at the end of your chain to glue everything together. Panning 15 and -15 will give you a LITTLE separation, but may not be enough to give you a true stereo image.

If you try that and still want a little more width, you can use the enhancer. That one also needs to be used sparingly or you can run the risk of things being unnaturally wide and you lose the meat of your tone. I think the Enhancer can sound cool with a mono cab. Simplifying the cab can give you more control over the width of your stereo tone.

So try some stuff. I’d be curious to hear what you land on. :)

I apologize if you already gave an update, but do you think you'll be shooting G12-65 anytime soon? I thought you mentioned picking up some from the early 80's...or it might have just been one of my dreams 😁

Back
Top Bottom