Dang! Wood is expensive these days...

lqdsnddist

Axe-Master
Was at Home Depot pricing some project and man, the cost of wood has gone insane!

4x8 sheets are now like $75-125 each for decent thickness! Heck, even a 1/4” sheet of crappy particle board was $38.

Got home and read up on this and it’s crazy, they say it’s like 400% higher than average prices a year ago, and things like the cost of a new home are now about $30,000 higher for materials cost

don’t know if it’s affected decent tone woods and guitar body blanks, as those certainly don’t have the same demand as a 2x4, but couldn’t imagine it wouldn’t have seen affect....

Was going to do some raised planter beds for the backward but I don’t think I can afford to build them anymore lol

There are like a half dozen dumpster-in-the-driveway sized construction projects going on my little dead-end suburban side street. People must have suddenly gone stir-crazy and simultaneously decided they've got money. Wheeeeeee!

It’s true, and internationally so. Building materials are in short supply and the market is taking advantage of it. The same thing has happened in the used guitar market... supply and demand. Guitars I saw for $1200-1500 early last year are going for $2500-3000 and up now. Crazy world.

I should be selling. I’m not, but I should be!

Had a friend of a friend, who was building a 2nd garage at the property his new house is being built at. Builder came back and said, 'We need another $30,000 for the lumber or it's not getting done.'

It’s true, and internationally so. Building materials are in short supply and the market is taking advantage of it. The same thing has happened in the used guitar market... supply and demand. Guitars I saw for $1200-1500 early last year are going for $2500-3000 and up now. Crazy world.

I should be selling. I’m not, but I should be!
I've sold 2 guitars this week (certainly for more money than I would have gotten for them 2 years ago.) Now is the time to sell if you have anything you don't need.

Was at Home Depot pricing some project and man, the cost of wood has gone insane!

4x8 sheets are now like $75-125 each for decent thickness! Heck, even a 1/4” sheet of crappy particle board was $38.

Got home and read up on this and it’s crazy, they say it’s like 400% higher than average prices a year ago, and things like the cost of a new home are now about $30,000 higher for materials cost

don’t know if it’s affected decent tone woods and guitar body blanks, as those certainly don’t have the same demand as a 2x4, but couldn’t imagine it wouldn’t have seen affect....

Was going to do some raised planter beds for the backward but I don’t think I can afford to build them anymore lol
Funny - I literally just built a planter this past weekend. Its 8' X 2' , and 2' high. At HD I got pressure treated 2x4's and 2x6's; I think the total cost for the wood only was around $280. I was a little shocked - but if I were to buy something similar, it wouldn't be half as good or have the specs that I wanted, and would be twice the price...

You better know it!!!
The company I work for buy plywood (Rated Sheathing) by the truck loads every day.
This time last year one sheet (OUR COST) would run you $19.36.
This month... same company, same wood... $45.52 per sheet, and it is still rising!!!

the house we built in 2019 that based at 275k now starts at almost 330k now, def some appreciation but it's also due to wood prices.

A 2x4x8 is at $8.95 CDN + tax, at Home Depot and I've been told, they will soon hit $15. I bought 2x6x8 cedar at the start of last summer, which was hard to find because all the contractors switched to cedar when the pressure treated inventory dried up. I paid $18 CDN, it now over $36.

It's not just lumber either, everything has gone nuts. It's almost as bad as the price of gym equipment during lockdown 1.0. A 75 metre spool of 14/2 wire, went from $66 CDN to $99, overnight and they won't have inventory until the end of May. DMX underlay, $78 for a 100 sq. ft. roll, now over $85+. Dricore has almost doubled, in just a matter of weeks. Anything sheet metal related, like duct work, good luck finding any!

The airfield I work at has - literally - 3/4 mile of mile of lumber stacked two stories high in the yard of a lumber mill on the east side of the field because of the railhead... it's Blackstone Army Airfield (KBKT) which is part of Ft. Pickett, and it's an armor training ground.

... and the main crane has about a zillion raw timber stacked in a circle around it. The milled lumber and raw timber pile gets bigger everyday.

There's no shortage of lumber. It's all 99.999% pure, high-test, Grade-A bullshit.

The airfield I work at has - literally - 3/4 mile of mile of lumber stacked two stories high in the yard of a lumber mill on the east side of the field because of the railhead... it's Blackstone Army Airfield (KBKT) which is part of Ft. Pickett, and it's an armor training ground.

... and the main crane has about a zillion raw timber stacked in a circle around it. The milled lumber and raw timber pile gets bigger everyday.

There's no shortage of lumber. It's all 99.999% pure, high-test, Grade-A bullshit.

Yep, I've seen the same thing at local yards...lumber stacked to the sky!

Perhaps the issue is with the mills then ? Surplus of raw lumber but maybe not finished boards used in house framing etc like 2x4’s ?

or maybe just an issue if suppliers finding out how much we are willing to pay.... lol

They are gutting our State Forests here in Michigan. Local lumber mill's production
is the largest in my lifetime. More logging trucks on the road than I have ever seen.

Our bass player works in the logging industry and he has never been busier.
He does scaling for private and public timber sales.

Back
Top Bottom