Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 16.00 "Cygnus"

Thanks for the firmware!
Shouldn't we do a soft reset on Drive blocks, Chorus blocks, Reverb, Flanger, etc. as well? Why only on the amp block?
Changes in the algorithm, only affect the amp blocks?
The updated firmware only changed the amps, nothing else AFAIK. So, no need to reset effect blocks.

To all those now asking about resetting amp blocks, I urge you to search the beta threads about this. It has been asked and answered ad nauseum, from so many perspectives, and by so many people both asking and answering, it could be a subforum at this point.
But many Axe Fx users do not have the time to surf the forums, plus others just fire up the Fractal Bot and wait for the updates to pour, luckily reading the Release Notes. So for me still a formal confirmation would be nice.

If it has not been noted yet the update to EDIT allows you to reset the amp block without changing anything in the authentic page. So if you do not change the other pages you can enter manage presets and right click on your preset and reset amp block. It will update all channels leaving the authentic controls as they were. I did this with 4 presets using 4 channels each and it was successful and quick.

Thank you, so...
no need to reset anything according to this as the firmware release notes do not tell you to reset a anything!
With respect to resetting the Amp block, Cliff has stated, "The amp models are automatically updated upon preset load. However, if you've adjusted advanced parameters like Dynamics, Speaker Compression, Speaker Impedance, etc. those parameters are not updated. A soft reset of the amp will reset those parameters."

Word of caution on the new Amp reset tool:

It leaves all your settings in the Authentic/Ideal page but if you (for example) use a MESA Mark series amp and its graphic EQ, IT WILL reset the sliders back to zero. Same about the impedance curve. To me, those two values along with maybe the Input EQ should be left untouched too IMO.

It leaves all your settings in the Authentic/Ideal page but if you (for example) use a MESA Mark series amp and its graphic EQ, IT WILL reset the sliders back to zero. Same about the impedance curve. To me, those two values along with maybe the Input EQ should be left untouched too IMO.

agreed completely !

Updated this morning, full soft reset of all my presets.
Wooooow, what a change! I tested just a few ones and the difference is significant.
Especially on the clean amps/channels. The JC120 for example is now really outstanding, I did not like it before but now...
When I switched from my AX8 to the Axe FX III, I was a little disappointed, I found there was a kind of "haze" on the sound in the III.
The Cygnus firmware has brought me back the dynamics and openness I had loved with the AX8.
Fantastic job Cliff! Looking forward to the updated factory presets!

So, what's the final word on Amp Block reset? I want to update from 15.01 to 16. the documentation says nothing about resetting anything yet I hear people resetting the amp block. does this not change the amps settings on a purchased preset? can anyone point to a discussion on this maybe?
Whats y'all doin on this?
Thanks
Axe-Edit III 1.08.13 is now available via auto-update or from our website:

https://www.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-iii-edit/

RELEASE NOTES

VERSION 1.08.13
APRIL 16, 2021

Current Axe-Fx III Firmware Version: 16.00

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
  • Mac version requires OS version 10.7 or newer
  • Windows version requires Windows 7 or newer
  • Minimum firmware version 3.02

NEW IN THIS VERSION

* Support for firmware Cygnus 16.00.

* Added a "Reset AMP blocks" menu item to the Manage Presets context menu. This will reset each channel of the AMP block in the selected presets
while maintaining the Authentic page's parameter values.

* Corrected an issue in the "Per-Preset FC" view that showed incorrect values assigned to the PP switches.

* Corrected an issue in the "FC Controllers" view that prevented user input in the editable controls of the FUNCTIONS section.

* Corrected the Preset Leveling window from being set to an invalid size.

* Corrected the REVERB block "Late Input Mix" parameter to display when Quality is set to Ultra-High.

* Corrected the updating of the commands for the selected Control Switch in the FC Controllers : CS Midi dialog.

Axe-Edit III 1.08.13 is now available via auto-update or from our website:

https://www.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-iii-edit/

RELEASE NOTES

VERSION 1.08.13
APRIL 16, 2021

Current Axe-Fx III Firmware Version: 16.00

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
  • Mac version requires OS version 10.7 or newer
  • Windows version requires Windows 7 or newer
  • Minimum firmware version 3.02

NEW IN THIS VERSION

* Support for firmware Cygnus 16.00.

* Added a "Reset AMP blocks" menu item to the Manage Presets context menu. This will reset each channel of the AMP block in the selected presets
while maintaining the Authentic page's parameter values.

* Corrected an issue in the "Per-Preset FC" view that showed incorrect values assigned to the PP switches.

* Corrected an issue in the "FC Controllers" view that prevented user input in the editable controls of the FUNCTIONS section.

* Corrected the Preset Leveling window from being set to an invalid size.

* Corrected the REVERB block "Late Input Mix" parameter to display when Quality is set to Ultra-High.

* Corrected the updating of the commands for the selected Control Switch in the FC Controllers : CS Midi dialog.
Issued Yesterday? Very cool thank you

Last edited:
Will the new axe edit VERSION 1.08.13 work with firmware update 15.01 or will it only work with version 16.0? The reason I ask is that I may NOT upgrade to firmware 16.0 due to issues regarding too much bass or woofiness and less clarity than 15.01 that I have been reading about and the fact that I mainly use AXE fx3 for recording and all of that bass heavy woofiness is the first thing I get rid of in recording. I am very appreciative of Cliff and his hard work and fx3 advancement but am concerned about reproducing negative attributes of amps that for recording purposes should not be reproduced like any and all flaws that exist in ALL amps to various and diverse degrees.

So will there be any problems running firmware 15.01 with the new AXE EDIT update v1.08.13?...

Not being negative or throwing a wet blanket on the festivities, just concerned about MY specific use and application.

Thanks for your kind help.

You can switch back and forth between firmware all you want. There's no need to be paranoid about it if you back up your presets and block libraries.
Did you ever consider that woofiness, boom, whatever adjective for undesirable low frequencies are simply people that didn't bother to try a different IR? FW15 and earlier habits need to be shed to grow into the screaming, growling bliss of Cygnus. Just strumming a chord on the Plexi 50w Jumped is a dream and I don't even have to turn the bass knob down.
You no longer need to chose an IR with extra bass. You no longer need to chose an IR with less highs to tame harsher models. You no longer need to nitpick between 10000hz and 10010hz on the LPF filter in the cab preamp. You can mix mics out of phase for more high end and not cry.
All the information is there now and musically pleasing on every single amp. Cygnus finally has under note thump like a real cranked amp, essentially virtual pants flap.
Speaker Dynamics adds even more tone and response shaping and you don't even have to use much.
Use the headroom meter!

@FractalAudio It's probably an Axe Edit thing, but the saturation switch "on" position isn't doing anything, "On (ideal)" is fine though. I hurt my back trying to pick up my fat cat this morning so I don't want to get up to walk over to my Axe and check.
Works for me,
I hate the thought of retiring at 15.01. But, after trying the final release. It just doesn’t sound as beefy. I feel my presets have more bite and tighter low end with 15.01. Sucks knowing I’ll be missing out on the future amp model and fx updates. But 15.01 is perfect to my ears
Idk man, my main rhythm patch using the savage 2 is even tighter and beefier than before. Chugs are super tight now on my end.

Will the new axe edit VERSION 1.08.13 work with firmware update 15.01 or will it only work with version 16.0? The reason I ask is that I may NOT upgrade to firmware 16.0 due to issues regarding too much bass or woofiness and less clarity than 15.01 that I have been reading about and the fact that I mainly use AXE fx3 for recording and all of that bass heavy woofiness is the first thing I get rid of in recording. I am very appreciative of Cliff and his hard work and fx3 advancement but am concerned about reproducing negative attributes of amps that for recording purposes should not be reproduced like any and all flaws that exist in ALL amps to various and diverse degrees.

So will there be any problems running firmware 15.01 with the new AXE EDIT update v1.08.13?...

Not being negative or throwing a wet blanket on the festivities, just concerned about MY specific use and application.

Thanks for your kind help.
And all that you mentioned is what most of us want. Because we want it to sound like a tube amp. If you think it's too woofy, just do a low cut. For high end there's the peq block. I think it sounds better now.

@FractalAudio It's probably an Axe Edit thing, but the saturation switch "on" position isn't doing anything, "On (ideal)" is fine though. I hurt my back trying to pick up my fat cat this morning so I don't want to get up to walk over to my Axe and check.
Works on my end with no issues. Just switched on saturation switch to
Is the Angle Severe supposed to get louder as you turn the Presence down?
Yep

I think that the fixed Graphic EQ thing should be only for the Mark Series, because when having major changes to amps, somethings these EQs aren't relevant

I waited until final release. Loaded up Cygnus yesterday and man all my worries were put to rest. Everyone talking about it not being as tight need to clean their ears out and start to re tweak their presets. Did some minor adjustments to my main savage 2 rhythm patch and it's crazy how much tighter the chugs are, and definitely more string definition. If anything some of my clean ambient patches were thin and missing low end, so just minor tweaks to bass and depth got me back closer to where it was on 15.01.

Back
Top Bottom