Need help choosing the best interface!

Walter Hans

Hello everyone! New to this forum and recording in general. I am looking to put together a home studio. So far I would like to use Pro Tools, the Axe FX III and a keyboard workstation. The question I have is what is the best interface to bring it all together. I am also interested in the highest quality sound. Automation is also a plus as well as being able to mic other instruments and voice. Any help would be greatly appreciated! - Thanks, Walt

Hi Walter,
How many mics?
Thanks
Pauly

Hello everyone! New to this forum and recording in general. I am looking to put together a home studio. So far I would like to use Pro Tools, the Axe FX III and a keyboard workstation. The question I have is what is the best interface to bring it all together. I am also interested in the highest quality sound. Automation is also a plus as well as being able to mic other instruments and voice. Any help would be greatly appreciated! - Thanks, Walt

Best is a relative term.
Understood... but there have to be measurable parameters that can determine quality. Lowest noise, resolution, latency, durability, connectivity, functionality, ease of use etc. Lets say budget is unlimited and not a factor.. is best still a relative term? Thanks!

I see a Friedman at the top of the stack... one of the only amps I have not played through... I was looking at the BE-100 Deluxe.. any thoughts?
Haven’t had the chance to play through one, but that’s the amp I’d buy if I were to buy another Friedman. A different flavor, but my bandmate has a Twin Sister, and that thing is killer.

Budget? Workflow? Native or dsp?
Apogee, Avid, Prism, Metric Halo, Slate VRS8 Antelope, UA Apollo, focusrite Rednet,Rme, presonus Quantum. Invest in external mic pres, or buy a converter with pres that can link multiple units, or extendable via Adat and use something like Audient asp880. Soooo many variables.

Budget? Workflow? Native or dsp?
Apogee, Avid, Prism, Metric Halo, Slate VRS8 Antelope, UA Apollo, focusrite Rednet,Rme, presonus Quantum. Invest in external mic pres, or buy a converter with pres that can link multiple units, or extendable via Adat and use something like Audient asp880. Soooo many variables.
Thanks for the input Anthony! At this point my only question is do I go with individual preamps or do I just pick up an SSL Origin which I can mix and sum on as well. Not afraid to spend the money to make it right. I prefer to do everything myself from the first track to the final product. High quality but not too complicated... I appreciate your comments.

TBH why not get an older m-box 2? I think they are excellent and inexpensive...
Thanks for your input! I am new to all of this. I spent most of my time on the other side of the glass in studios. I started to do some research on m-box's and I think my mic count would entail purchasing numerous units. I don't know how clean of an installation that would make either. But I appreciate your comments and will continue my search. Thanks!

Thanks for the input Anthony! At this point my only question is do I go with individual preamps or do I just pick up an SSL Origin which I can mix and sum on as well. Not afraid to spend the money to make it right. I prefer to do everything myself from the first track to the final product. High quality but not too complicated... I appreciate your comments.

If money is no object the answer is usually both. Some engineers like to use different preamps like different colors when tracking. Traditionally then with mixing, outboard consoles were used that were considered more transparent.

Might be worth having a phone call to discuss your needs with a place like Vintage King to put a full system together. Also if considering a large outboard console like the origin I'd probably also look to see if I could rent time at a studio with one. They should also have outboard mic pres that you can test and see what you like. An engineer there will be able to assist you and also give you their feedback on using the gear in a work setting.

Back
Top Bottom