Fan Noise

Noctua NF-A8 is the same diameter as the stock fan, but it is taller. I can't find air velocity specifications for the stock fan or noctua.
What is the built-in fan air velocity ?
I don’t know the air velocity of the built-in fan. But if the Noctua is the same diameter, and its CFM is equal to or greater than that of the stock fan, its air velocity will also be equal or greater.

I have just changed from a Noctua NF-A8 FLX to a NF-A8 ULN. It got almost inaudible now and the problem is solved.
I would have been inaudible before if the III would have been in a wooden rack, but mine is made of thin plastic and that turns even little vibrations into noise.

Is this quite a simple thing to do...? The fan on my new AFX3 Mk2 is pretty loud. I'm comfortable changing fans, but I wonder if it affects the warranty?

Have emailed G66 to ask anyway.

Is this quite a simple thing to do...? The fan on my new AFX3 Mk2 is pretty loud. I'm comfortable changing fans, but I wonder if it affects the warranty?

Have emailed G66 to ask anyway.

It’s very simple. Take 12 screws out and remove top lid, remove 3 pin fan cable from motherboard (Blue circle). Unscrew 4 screws holding metal fan plate onto motherboard uprights (Red Circle). Remove 4 screws holding fan onto fan plate (Green Circle - needs pliers/ small spanner to hold locking nuts), pop rubber grommets out of fan plate (Can squeeze with fingers and pull out). Note in image below, the new fan is already fitted, so there's no screws in the fan mounts, its already using the rubber spigots)

New fan has rubber mount spigots (Pink circle) that simply need pulling through fan plate hole, then putting fan on and pulling spigot through fan hole. Then reassemble fan plate, put new fan cable onto mother board plug and put top lid back on. Took about 5 mins, and needs crosshead screwdriver and a tool to hold the locking nuts.

1610039033395.png1610039166426.png

Last edited:
Thanks all - did it last night. I've built my own PCs previously, so have some experience with regards to installing fans etc., I could just imagine it would be trickier than it was...

Seems to be a great improvement! I installed a Noctua NF-A8 ULN.
Another happy near-IMG_0341.jpgsilent III user, thanks to this (self!) installed today!... the boat noise is now louder than my unit...

Last edited:
Ah man, I hope my one that's on its way doesn't have a loud fan. I currently have a silent studio with only 1 fan in the PC.

My rack mountable devices are on my desk too so if it vibrates the desk, it will be vibrating it's not at back to G66 unfortunately.

I don't care how many PC/servers I have built, and it's in its thousands, I will not be voiding the warranty of a £2500 device I can tell you that.

Ah man, I hope my one that's on its way doesn't have a loud fan. I currently have a silent studio with only 1 fan in the PC.

My rack mountable devices are on my desk too so if it vibrates the desk, it will be vibrating it's not at back to G66 unfortunately.

I don't care how many PC/servers I have built, and it's in its thousands, I will not be voiding the warranty of a £2500 device I can tell you that.
I don't know about Europe, but in the US it does not void the warranty...

I don't know about Europe, but in the US it does not void the warranty...
To be honest, at that price bracket I would not be opening it up. plus my home studio is quiet for two reasons, first is my kids bedroom is above so I record and monitor at low volume and second it is where I record vocals. As it will also be my soundcard, If the mic can pick it up it won't be staying unfortunaly.

Here's to hoping it's not an issue.

This is kinda daunting to hear. A lot of people with MK2s and the fan noise is loud?
I've been considering upgrading from the Axe II (which is dead silent), but a loud fan noise is a dealbreaker for me.

Does changing the fan void the warranty? I'm in the EU.

This is kinda daunting to hear. A lot of people with MK2s and the fan noise is loud?
I've been considering upgrading from the Axe II (which is dead silent), but a loud fan noise is a dealbreaker for me.

1 - I have an Axe III in a rack bag. I don't hear the fan at all; granted, it's a Mark I. "Internet statistics" mean that generally people who have a problem will post; those who don't will not, skewing the results. In other reports of fan noise, overtightening of the fan screws has been cited as a primary factor because it compresses the rubber bushings intended to isolate the noise.

All that to say - I'm betting it's not a problem, but...

2 - if you have to change the fan, I've seen many rave reports about the service delivered by G66. I think that I've read in other posts, though, that changing the fan does not void the warranty - but there would obviously be exceptions made for things like "I didn't know I shouldn't change the fan when the power was on to the unit and I dropped my screwdriver." ;) But that's not an official company position statement, since I don't work for Fractal and don't set the policy - just pointing out that a search may yield the answer you seek.

G66 sent me a quieter fan as a replacement for me to fit myself when I complained about the one in my new MkII, so it cant affect warranty.

If your Axe II is dead silent, you need to replace the fan.
Ok, I overstated that. It's very quiet, but certainly spinning. Also, Cliff said way back in 2012 or so that the Axe 2 really didn't need a fan to begin with. So either way I would be safe :D

Got a response from G66, and I couldn't really believe my eyes;
"We are already exchanging the fan before we ship it – we haven't had any complaint about the quiet fan we are using so far, so there is nothing to worry about"

That's super cool from G66, and also super shoddy from Fractal Audio. Why on earth wouldn't you change the fan to a better one? I mean, I remember FAS as the company that made no compromises when it comes to hardware quality.

Just installed Noctua NF-A8 ULN using lowest speed connector and rubber stands. Now it's so much better/quiter than with stock fan, but I can still hear the fan, is it normal or something wrong with me?

Back
Top Bottom