Environment Simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rajnar

Inspired
Decades ago, the first pre-am/FX unit I bought was an ART SGX 2000. The tech was about as evolved, compared to my AXE III, as an amoeba is to Superman, but it did have one unusual and useful feature: an environment simulator with options from a bare stone chamber to a heavily carpeted room. Of course we can get similar effects with our multitude of reverb and EQ options, but perhaps a dedicated environment simulator would speed up editing.

Reactions: yek
What would an SGX-like environment simulator offer that’s not already offered by the Reverb types?

An environment simulator (although not strictly SGX-like) would basically be a convolution reverb. The pieces for this are obviously already in place, so I assume Cliff looked into it, but decided against it for some reason. Maybe cpu usage?

To Rex: editing speed. To the Moderator: thanks for your useful tip about the ER level. However, as I wrote, yes, we can get similar environmental effects with reverb, but in some cases that would require adjusting multiple parameters. The SGX's instant changes from ambient to light sound-absorption to hard-surfaces were surprisingly effective in emulating real world environments but weren't adjustable, and the reverberation itself wasn't audible and only implied by the selected environment. BTW, I've never had any equipment prior to my AXE that produced the level of drive I've wanted, but the SGX was by far the worst despite it's actual, single 12AX7.

Decades ago, the first pre-am/FX unit I bought was an ART SGX 2000. The tech was about as evolved, compared to my AXE III, as an amoeba is to Superman, but it did have one unusual and useful feature: an environment simulator with options from a bare stone chamber to a heavily carpeted room. Of course we can get similar effects with our multitude of reverb and EQ options, but perhaps a dedicated environment simulator would speed up editing.

I suspect what you're really asking for here is better, more meaningfully named presets.

To Rex: editing speed. To the Moderator: thanks for your useful tip about the ER level. However, as I wrote, yes, we can get similar environmental effects with reverb, but in some cases that would require adjusting multiple parameters. The SGX's instant changes from ambient to light sound-absorption to hard-surfaces were surprisingly effective in emulating real world environments but weren't adjustable, and the reverberation itself wasn't audible and only implied by the selected environment. BTW, I've never had any equipment prior to my AXE that produced the level of drive I've wanted, but the SGX was by far the worst despite it's actual, single 12AX7.

That guy is a bit more than a moderator; he’s the man entirely responsible for us being here and would be the one that would be incorporating such a thing into the AxeFX if it were his desire to do so. ;)

Can I suggest a -20 degrees environment simulation? Complete with snow and wind? I’m moving back up to New England soon and want to start adjusting.

Perhaps what OP is looking for is a “simple mode” reverb — a control front-end that allows anyone to enjoy and lightly tweak the superior sound quality that the AFX3 provides without having to necessarily learn “what parameter(s) do what”? I can easily see where providing a simple mode for multiple types of blocks (drive, pitch, delay, etc.) could really widen the Fractal user base — attracting new users that might otherwise be intimidated by the depth of parameters that more experienced users have learned how to utilize. In essence, a more inviting front door to The Rabbit Hole?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom