What gear do you want these days (non-guitar content)?

electronpirate

Axe-Master
So now that after a million years, I have the guitars that scratch every itch. I sort of want a hollow body, but after looking for years for the strings I have now, I really am not in the mood to go fishing... Mostly I know that working the lower end guitars (sub $2000ish) never works for me...I end up selling sooner or later.

What I REALLY want now is another keyboard. I picked up a Nord Piano 4 a few years ago, and I love it. I had a Yamaha MX-61, but never really liked the synth or organ sounds. Probably my fault since I didn't take any time to do any deep programming.

The one I have in mind is the pending Hammond SK Pro 61. It looks great. Will round out the musical stable.

It's a good life when I don't have to mention amps in this. Thank you FAS.

What's your (non-guitar) musical yearn?

R

Ooh, I’d like to get a Hammond SK at some point too. I have an old A-100 tonewheel out in the shed. I love the Hammond sound, but just don’t have space for a full tonewheel organ in my space. I’d love to take advantage of the tonewheel modeling on an SK among it’s many other sounds/features.

I’d also like to put together an analog vocal chain. I’m working on a high end DIY U-47 clone at the moment. I’d like to run that into a 1073 variant of some sort and possibly also a Distressor.

New music pc. I have an ancient Sony win7 laptop that can't get out of its own way any more. Can't take more than 8G RAM, it's seen its day. The one I use for work is much better, but I don't want to do music on a development machine.

And also better FRFRs.

There are some guitars I want though...

Last edited:
None.

Having the Axe-FX III, Boss SY-1000, Roland VG-99, a DIY floor-pedal, Genelec Monitors, Audeze LCD2 headphones, a MIDI keyboard controller, Auralex wedges and bass-traps (good room treatment is fundamental), and a Asus ROG loaded with Cakewalk, Omnisphere, Kontakt and many VST and VSTi, I cannot imagine what else I may need but more guitars.

Last edited:
Reactions: jon
I wouldn't mind having some good synths and a 7 octave midi controller. What I want most right now is some more gear for my home stereo setup. I want one of those Denon gym CD players, that can also play MP3 from CD, USB and which has bluetooth capability. (https://www.thomann.de/nl/denon_dn_500_cb.htm) Kinda pricey at around €260, but it would be nice to have an all in one solution as I prefer non-smart setups. Also a cool rack mixer to free up some desk spice would be nice. And more luthier gear. You can never have enough luthier gear. And I have to replace my guitar wallmount systems. I've been using the ones from Hercules (https://www.thomann.de/nl/hercules_gsp_40wb_guitar_wallmount.htm?ref=search_rslt__465250_1_14) and twice now the metal that held up the shockmount has teared out. No catastrophic guitar tumble yet, but better not to take any risk and start replacing them. As this system has less a lot less moving parts that's what I'm going with. https://www.thomann.de/nl/km_16255_mkii.htm

None,
just more time to learn & Play guitar!...

Edit:
And, In all honesty, I have a Charvel Guthrie Govan HSH Cooked Ash monstrous GAS!
but i try to hold back ... sob :weary:

Last edited:
As a guitar player first and foremost I'd find it hard to get overly excited about keyboards. I don't mind having a few guitars around me that I don't play enough to really merit even owning them - but having a bunch of keyboards gathering dust .... nah. When something breaks in a guitar the fix is usually apparent and most times self fixable. But a keyboard means trouble if something goes wrong.

My mate the keys player loved all the old analogue stuff back in the day and had a set up like Rick Wakeman playing live with Yes but now is happy with a couple of keyboards in front of him and one of those is a midi master controller one connecting to as many modules as he likes. He likens it to a guitar player nowadays with modelling devices .... you play guitars you like the feel of and then plug it into a processor to make it sound like whatever you want. He also can't resist saying "What the hell took you so long to work that out?" He's only a keyboard player so not worth trying to explain ....

Midi controller keyboard with the touch you prefer and modules or VSTis .... way to go if I was doing it

I'm pretty content guitar/amp wise and have a decent midi keyboard with some great piano plugins which scratch that itch. What I'd like though is a really nice bass for tracking...I don't need it, I have a solid enuff cheapo peavey that gets the job done...but if we're just dreaming here, yeah, a high end nice bass would be really cool!

Last edited:
In the era of COVID layoffs and economic uncertainty, I've completely suppressed my GAS urges and everything has been gathering dust in my Sweetwater wish lists. I won't make any major purchases until we get the house paid off and a nice chunk of discretionary funds on hand. That said, I haven't cleared those wish lists:

Drums/percussion: a set of Zildjian 13in hi-hats to setup as closed, Trick drums hi hat and double bass pedals, a few assorted china and splash cymbals, a malletKAT 3 octave percussion/midi controller eventually. As much as I'd love to have a Neil Peart inspired backline with tubular bells, crotales, glockenspiel, etc, even I draw the line somewhere.

Keys - nothing at present but a Hammond SKX Dual manual would be nice, maybe eventually some odd Prophets and Moogs. I have a Kronos and a Roland so I'm well sorted as it is.

Bass - still want a precision and maybe a fretless at some point. After that maybe a Spector.

There's a long list of microphones and outboard gear as well.

GAS is all consuming and neverending.

I've had my eye on a Wurlitzer for some time now but they are so expensive. I would also like to build a drum kit out of percussion instruments.

For me, it’s still about guitar gear... but selling things I don’t use/need in order to buy to better/more inspiring pieces for the collection. I’m always searching for amps that aren’t found in the Axe, speakers, pickups, mic pres, cool mics, and basically anything that makes me feel like I did when I was a kid discovering guitar stuff for the first time.

I might be getting a Marshall JCM Slash tonight or tomorrow. I wanted one as a kid, but my parents thought the cigarette smoking snake on it didn’t send a good message, so I got a 50w Plexi instead. It’ll be cool to try it and see if it’s worth the cash or if the Axe already does the same thing.

I wouldn't mind having some good synths and a 7 octave midi controller. What I want most right now is some more gear for my home stereo setup. I want one of those Denon gym CD players, that can also play MP3 from CD, USB and which has bluetooth capability. (https://www.thomann.de/nl/denon_dn_500_cb.htm) Kinda pricey at around €260, but it would be nice to have an all in one solution as I prefer non-smart setups. Also a cool rack mixer to free up some desk spice would be nice. And more luthier gear. You can never have enough luthier gear. And I have to replace my guitar wallmount systems. I've been using the ones from Hercules (https://www.thomann.de/nl/hercules_gsp_40wb_guitar_wallmount.htm?ref=search_rslt__465250_1_14) and twice now the metal that held up the shockmount has teared out. No catastrophic guitar tumble yet, but better not to take any risk and start replacing them. As this system has less a lot less moving parts that's what I'm going with. https://www.thomann.de/nl/km_16255_mkii.htm
Try this:

https://nl.stringswing.com/rack-for-5-acoustic-or-electric-guitars/

For the first time in a long time I pretty much have what I need. I'm thinking about one more DSLR camera for my live streaming studio set up. That's been my latest thing. I recently bought HEDD type 20 mk I monitors. The sub is missing in action. I set up my rehearsal studio simplifying the keyboard and bass rigs for the same room which we haven't done in over a year. But I have XiTones for all. Now I'm lucky to have a sy=tudio with separate rooms for we rehearse, record audio and video with headphones. Except me. I'm isolated in the control room. I have an ideal set up. Axe III racked FM3 for gigs and rehearsal. I also recently bout Blackmagic ATEM Extreme ISO for streaming. I'm happy.

For the first time in a long time I pretty much have what I need. I'm thinking about one more DSLR camera for my live streaming studio set up. That's been my latest thing. I recently bought HEDD type 20 mk I monitors. The sub is missing in action. I set up my rehearsal studio simplifying the keyboard and bass rigs for the same room which we haven't done in over a year. But I have XiTones for all. Now I'm lucky to have a sy=tudio with separate rooms for we rehearse, record audio and video with headphones. Except me. I'm isolated in the control room. I have an ideal set up. Axe III racked FM3 for gigs and rehearsal. I also recently bout Blackmagic ATEM Extreme ISO for streaming. I'm happy.

On what platform do you stream / broadcast?

None,
just more time to learn & Play guitar!...

Edit:
And, In all honesty, I have a Charvel Guthrie Govan HSH Cooked Ash monstrous GAS!
but i try to hold back ... sob :weary:
Yeah a Govan. Never played one, but on paper it looks like my jam totally.

Don't care so much about the finish, though I do like the light ones best. But I do want the split switch, and that only seems to come on the ones that cost a thousand dollars more than the ones that don't have it. Expensive forkin switch!

Does a bass count as non-guitar equipment?

Anyway, I want to trade my Maschine for the new Plus version with the built-in hard drive. Being tethered to a computer sucks, so that would make that rig much more portable and me much more likely to play it.

And I want my drummer friend to get an electronic drumset cuz I hate how loud his acoustic set is! 😜

I have a beautiful family, gorgeous wife, immeasurably beautiful son, daughter on the way in just a few weeks, a great house, a reliable and inexpensive car that is under an extended maintenance warranty (so I don’t pay for oil changes), a home studio with the Axe FX 3 as the crown jewel, all the guitars I’ve ever wanted, the new Mac m1 with the ever updated Logic Pro , and the ESP custom shop I’ve waited almost 8 years to get (and at $1000 off the street price) so there is nothing I want for -

except peace, love, harmony, and as much health and happiness for my loved ones and for all of yours as well :)

I am a lucky man, finally - took me 3 decades of a hard knock life, but I’m finally there

Back
Top Bottom