Are presets interchangeable

Schrocker

Hello , can you convert presets from the AXE3 to FM3 ? Also can you convert AX8 to FM3, i just got the FM3 and looking for some insight, wondering if i can leach some of my AX8 presets that i like .....i have fractool ,probably an older version thanks for your time and help

Hello , can you convert presets from the AXE3 to FM3 ? Also can you convert AX8 to FM3, i just got the FM3 and looking for some insight, wondering if i can leach some of my AX8 presets that i like .....i have fractool ,probably an older version thanks for your time and help
AF3 presets can be loaded into the FM3 using Fractal-Bot, either the standalone or the one built into FM3-Edit. If the preset exceeds the FM3's limit of blocks, like too many amp or cab blocks, or exceeds the number of presets it'll munge the preset, sometimes removing the extra blocks, sometimes moving them out of the signal path for you to reinsert.

It's the result of the FM3 having some limitations to preserve the sound quality, and most of the time you can edit the preset and get it to work and get the sound you want, or a close approximation.

If the preset from the AF3 was designed with the FM3 limitations in mind then it'll transfer over with no problem.

The FM3's factory presets are worth looking through. I found that with minor tweaks a lot of them sounded like I wanted; I had an AX8 and haven't been tempted to look through those backups or 3rd-party presets at all. Fractal-Bot won't convert them but you can use Fractool to do it. The block's settings will probably be off because of differences in the firmware and the In and Out blocks will be missing.

Update Fractool if it's not current though. Old versions don't know about the current firmware.

Last edited:
You're probably better off creating the presets from the AX8 from scratch on the FM3. That's the route I took. There have been a few issues with users converting presets from the AX8 to FM3. I should say that users had issues that seemed to narrow down to converted presets.

on the AX8 - You can export to a text file\csv and that gives you all the parameters exactly how they are. I use to do that as a second backup to real important presets.

Unfortunately, going by the old numbers doesn’t necessarily translate to the best sound, especially across firmware versions. It is a starting point, but so is starting from scratch.
Sure, but knowing and seeing exactly what you did and used most certainly is a step up from starting from scratch................How can it not be?
You will know what amp\drive\fx, etc, etc, you used and in what order. Jeeezzzz!

Sure, but knowing and seeing exactly what you did and used most certainly is a step up from starting from scratch................How can it not be?
You will know what amp\drive\fx, etc, etc, you used and in what order. Jeeezzzz!
Yes, it's a good tool for getting the "shape" of your presets in place in this scenario...

But without the disclaimer that @Greg Ferguson mentioned there will be people that complain "my presets sound nothing like before!".

I recommend FracTool all the time for this use case (and others) and I always mention the fact that presets are likely to not sound as expected. There have been dramatic changes to the Amp block, Drive block and a number of others since the Axe Fx III and FM3 have been released.

But without the disclaimer that @Greg Ferguson mentioned there will be people that complain "my presets sound nothing like before!".
Exactly. The switch from the last couple firmwares broke several preset’s sounds on my AF3, requiring some major adjustments, but they also improved and I like them more. I found different cabs, adjusted the amps as a result, then changed drives as a result. It’s a normal thing we do with the real gear, and we don’t think doing that is a big deal, we just fiddle until we like the sound.

Or use FracTool to convert the AX8 version to the III.

Not always a perfect fit, but sometimes they translate quite well.
None of my AX8 presets have sound after i converted the to the fm3 ..i changed out the cabs as well and no sound , any insight

None of my AX8 presets have sound after i converted the to the fm3 ..i changed out the cabs as well and no sound , any insight
We can’t do much to diagnose the problem with that description without a lot of guessing and back and forth.
How did you convert them?

Are you missing an In or Out block?

Did you check the meters view?

Do you have the appropriate cab?

Is there a volume pedal setting?

Try attaching an example preset.

My fractool ax8 to ax3/FM3 presets sounded so far off I just redid them. It’s a great idea on paper but probably won’t get you there.

AX3/AX8 presets do not transfer well, it’s better to get presets specifically dedicated to the FM3 ... Look for Leon’s free presets or Austin Buddy’s site for starters.

Maybe post a screen shot of what the preset looks like after you imported it or share the imported preset so we can troubleshoot it.

Back
Top Bottom