Footswitch question - is this possible?

slugworth

New FM3 owner here, but not new to modeling. Looked in the documentation and forums but still wasn't clear...

So I'd like to set up my FM3 for live use without an FC6 -- would really like to keep my rig smaller/lighter than that if at all possible. My first preference would just be to use a basic 2-button momentary footswitch, but I'll go MIDI if I must. Here's what I would like to do:

Switch 1 tap: Set external switches to control preset up/down. Tap external switches for +/- 1 increment, hold for larger increment.
Switch 1 hold: Set external switches to control per-scene FX toggle. Can I do 4 separate ones (ext1 tap, ext1 hold, ext2 tap, ext2 hold)?
Switch 2 tap: Set external switches to control scene up/down. Tap external switches for +/- 1 increment.
Switch 2 hold: Set external switches to control looper. Can I set different functions to either switch's tap/hold?
Switch 3 tap: Tap tempo
Switch 3 hold: Tuner

Is this possible?

Unfortunately, no. You can use the Stand-in Switch function to make an external switch do just about anything, but Stand-In assignments are global. You can't change them on the fly.

It's probably just as well. Trying to control time-critical functions like the Looper has would be just about impossible with a hold function.

Last edited:
You can’t change what the external switches do from the onboard switches.

I’d put tap and tuner on an external switch, and use the other external to change views or layouts of the onboard switches.

the onboard switches have screens so use those for functions that change so you can see what they are.

there are no per-scene toggle options.

Thanks, @Rex and @chris, both of your comments are very helpful.

So the stand-in assignments are global and can't be changed on the fly. Can the stand-in switches change what the onboard switches do? If so, maybe I could still make this work, but instead of having the onboard switches as the change triggers, I'd just have to flip-flop and have those switches be the ones that are changing, triggered by the stand-in switches. Does that make sense, and could that work?

So here's what it would look like in my mind:

Stand-in switch 1 tap: Set onboard switches 1 and 2 to control preset up/down. Tap for +/- 1 increment, hold for larger increment.
Stand-in switch 1 hold: Set onboard switches to control per-scene FX toggle. 4 separate ones (onboard1 tap, onboard1 hold, onboard2 tap, onboard2 hold)
Stand-in switch 2 tap: Set onboard switches 1 and 2 to control scene up/down. Tap for +/- 1 increment.
Stand-in switch 2 hold: Set onboard switches 1 and 2 to control 4 looper functions (tap/hold x2).
Onboard switch 3 tap: Tap tempo
Onboard switch 3 hold: Tuner

Last edited:
Thanks, @Rex and @chris, both of your comments are very helpful.

So the stand-in assignments are global and can't be changed on the fly. Can the stand-in switches change what the onboard switches do? If so, maybe I could still make this work, but instead of using the onboard switches to do what I'm trying to do, I'd just have to flip-flop and have those switches be the ones that are changing, triggered by the stand-in switches. Does that make sense, and could that work?
Yup that’s what I suggested basically.

There are Layouts and Views which change what the on-board switches display. The externals can be set to cycle through those. I show it in this video, start at 16:40 to see it working. I explain settting it up before that:

It appears that there is no "hold" ability using a stand-in switch. For that I'd need either something like a Morningstar MC3/MC6 or just get an FC6. And that is what I'd like to avoid.

But after more research, here's a similar setup that I think I will be able to do with an external 2-button switch:

Stand-in switch 1 tap: Set onboard switches 1 and 2 to control scene up/down. Tap for +/- 1 increment.
Stand-in switch 2 tap: Set onboard switches 1 and 2 to control preset up/down. Tap for +/- 1 increment.
Onboard switch 1 hold: Set onboard switches 1 and 2 to control looper. Tap 1 for record, tap 2 for play/stop.
Onboard switch 2 hold: Set onboard switches 1 and 2 to control up to 2 per-scene FX toggles on tap.
Onboard switch 3 tap: Tempo

Anyone see any problem with this? I can assign a single footswitch tap to both play and stop the looper without causing a problem, right?

Stand-in switches have whatever functionality the switch in the layout they are standing in for have. If the switch it's standing if for has a hold function assigned, so too with the stand-in switch.

Think of stand-in switches as just a remote means to actuate an existing switch in one of the FC layouts. It will do whatever the layout's switch will do, minus the scribble strip label and LEDs.

It appears that there is no "hold" ability using a stand-in switch. For that I'd need either something like a Morningstar MC3/MC6 or just get an FC6. And that is what I'd like to avoid.

But after more research, here's a similar setup that I think I will be able to do with an external 2-button switch:

Stand-in switch 1 tap: Set onboard switches 1 and 2 to control scene up/down. Tap for +/- 1 increment.
Stand-in switch 2 tap: Set onboard switches 1 and 2 to control preset up/down. Tap for +/- 1 increment.
Onboard switch 1 hold: Set onboard switches 1 and 2 to control looper. Tap 1 for record, tap 2 for play/stop.
Onboard switch 2 hold: Set onboard switches 1 and 2 to control up to 2 per-scene FX toggles on tap.
Onboard switch 3 tap: Tempo

Anyone see any problem with this? I can assign a single footswitch tap to both play and stop the looper without causing a problem, right?
A stand in can do tap and hold functions.

Back
Top Bottom