Red SoundMF.10 G66 Edition FRFR Review

It pays to advertise. I just ordered the ELIS.8. My expectations are high. And reaffirms my disgust for the weakness of the $US.
It pays even more to have happy customers who talk about their products in glowing terms and play with them where others can hear them, encouraging others to buy the product. Red Sound is taking a page from Fractal's playbook on that.

I ordered the ELIS.8 a couple weeks ago, they finished burn-in a little over a week ago, and shipped last Monday. They're currently on the truck from L.A. to here and scheduled for delivery this Monday. Ohhh yeaaah!

My expectations are high also. Marco's demo was the clincher; He gets a good sound, both in videos of him live with his band and in his studio, and his video of the ELIS.8 was equally good, and telling, as they sounded clear and punchy through the things he played as he demo'd.

I like the fact that each ELIS.8 cabinet is about half the width of a standard 1x12" floor wedge, about 2" taller and deeper, so basically the pair is the same footprint of a regular FRFR.

And, yeah, the Dollar was weak against the Euro, and that bothers me, but wasn't about to keep me from ordering the system.

It pays even more to have happy customers who talk about their products in glowing terms and play with them where others can hear them, encouraging others to buy the product. Red Sound is taking a page from Fractal's playbook on that.

I ordered the ELIS.8 a couple weeks ago, they finished burn-in a little over a week ago, and shipped last Monday. They're currently on the truck from L.A. to here and scheduled for delivery this Monday. Ohhh yeaaah!

My expectations are high also. Marco's demo was the clincher; He gets a good sound, both in videos of him live with his band and in his studio, and his video of the ELIS.8 was equally good, and telling, as they sounded clear and punchy through the things he played as he demo'd.

I like the fact that each ELIS.8 cabinet is about half the width of a standard 1x12" floor wedge, about 2" taller and deeper, so basically the pair is the same footprint of a regular FRFR.

And, yeah, the Dollar was weak against the Euro, and that bothers me, but wasn't about to keep me from ordering the system.
I only ordered 1 active vs. the pair. I’m replacing some lower/mid end JBL studio monitors. I’m a hobby, home studio player - maybe once a year play a birthday party with old college friends. I’m assuming it’s a big upgrade for me.

I only ordered 1 active vs. the pair. I’m replacing some lower/mid end JBL studio monitors. I’m a hobby, home studio player - maybe once a year play a birthday party with old college friends. I’m assuming it’s a big upgrade for me.
I love the sound of stereo output so that drove that aspect of the purchase. A friend, who I sold my AX8 to, immediately paired it with a set of Headrush's 108 cabinets, and I was stunned how well they handled the volume for the club we were in and how the stereo spread created a massive presence. He said they were right on the edge when he was playing bigger rooms and sometimes would distort so he bought the 112 models also for louder situations. Now he uses either pair just for his stage fill and runs into the FOH system, which results in stunning sound.

Along with the stereo desire, I tend to travel a lot (prior the virus lockdown) and want to be able to take a guitar and amp combo to practice and sit in here and there. One of the ELIS.8 will travel with me for that purpose.

I think their design was intelligent and well thought-out. I'll know in a few days if I was right. :)

Hey Frank! In my brief testing so far, it’s interesting that I’ve ended up with almost the exact same EQ as yours before the MF10 to really get it to sing. I’ve done this with the global output EQ at the moment though. I’m guessing you’ve put this in the preset itself so you can adjust per preset?

very cool.
Sukh

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I have a Matrix GT1000FX power amp (quite happy with that) and use that now with a regular guitar cab (cab sims off in my AxeFX3).

Now I am quite interested in the Red Sound MF10 or 8, for instance because of the fact I can leave the speaker sim on and use the 'whole' modelled amp sound.

My question is: would it be a wise thing to get two passive Red Sound speakers and keep using my Matrix power amp?

Or is the Red Sound power amp of the active speaker that much better?

Thank you! Greetings,

Jan

I have also used the Matrix together with a Mesa 2x12 Cab and now I do use the RedSound Speakers with power amp.
I can’t say anything about a difference in tone, it’s to long ago since I played the Matrix.
A benefit with a active Speaker would less things to carry with.
Cheers
Sash

I have also used the Matrix together with a Mesa 2x12 Cab and now I do use the RedSound Speakers with power amp.
I can’t say anything about a difference in tone, it’s to long ago since I played the Matrix.
A benefit with a active Speaker would less things to carry with.
Cheers
Sash
Thank you Sash.

Well I could of course also just get the active/passive stereo MF10 set. But I already have the Matrix.

What I'm really curious about is would the Matrix with two passive MF10's sound worse than the active/passive MF10 set with its own power amp.

When I keep the Matrix, I'd always have the option to use a standard guitar cab if that situation might occur. This is a slight flexibility advantage but sound is most important to me.

Thank you Sash.

Well I could of course also just get the active/passive stereo MF10 set. But I already have the Matrix.

What I'm really curious about is would the Matrix with two passive MF10's sound worse than the active/passive MF10 set with its own power amp.

When I keep the Matrix, I'd always have the option to use a standard guitar cab if that situation might occur. This is a slight flexibility advantage but sound is most important to me.
It’s always good to have a option.
I don’t think that the Matrix will sound worse than the RedSound. But to be shure I would send Mirko from RedSound a message.
Of course he does sell them but he was always honest to me and he could maybe give you some tips etc. for what you should care about using the Matrix with the RedSound.

Oh man. Those tilt stands are sooooo overpriced. Absurd.
I don’t think they are overpriced, they are also handmade and painted in Italy.
35€ is the average of around 1.5 hourly wages in Germany. I did work for local luthiers and company’s, so I know woodwork pretty well. Red Sound is a very small family business.
Of course you can built them yourself for cheap, you don’t have to buy them.
Personally I tested different positions and I don’t need them.
Or you can easily get some different feet.

Last edited:
Hello all. I am a new forum member from Netherlands and come on this forum because I am looking info on the Red Sound FRFR speakers. I do not own any Fractal stuff but use a Helix (I'm hoping that you guys will treat me nice though, haha).

I am a singer/guitarplayer (hobbyist) contemplating going from a traditional tube amp (currently a Fender Blues Deluxe) to an FRFR system. I am familiair with the Laney LFR-112 and find that sound reasonably good. Stuff like Headrush, I don't think sounds that good.
In my search I came across the Red Sound MF.10 and ELIS.8 cabinets and - judging from the YouTube videos - find these very interesting.

There's one problem though, and it that there aren't any dealers in Netherlands that carry them, so it's impossible to hear them and try them out. I've written to G66 and they advise me to "just order either the MF or the ELIS" and mention that I can send it back within 30 days if I'm not satisfied.

I am willing to order one and try it out in my home environment, but which one? I am drawn to the MF.10 but fear that this may be way too loud in my home environment. On the other hand, I'm not sure that the ELIS will be loud enough if I ever get the chance to play on stage with a band.

Is there anyone who can comment about playing the MF on low volume at home, and/or about playing there ELIS at loud volume? Or any other advice or insight that might help me decide which one to order?

Thanks and greets,

Willem
Netherlands

Hi Willem,
I have both, Elis8 and MF10 and when you are primary playing at home, I would go for the Elis 8.
Both do shine on higher volume but they are great at bedroom volume as well.
I have played Gigs and rehearsal with the Elis 8 (Stereo Bundle) and they are loud and punchy.

But when you are looking for a all in one solution for every sitiuation, I would go for the MF10 and you never have to look back.

Cheers
Sash

Hi Sash. Thanks for responding !

I am currently not playing in an band, mainly because of the Covid crisis but also because I haven't had the time for a band in the couple last years. But I am very very eager to start playing again as soon as possible.

The last year I have been working on my electric guitar skills with a tutor, because I have mainly been playing acoustic guitar so far. Electric is fun and sometimes challenging ! I have also bought a Helix - I know, I know, wrong choice as far as this group is probably concerned :)

So, if I understand you correctly, the MF10 woud be the best overall solution, since I can play it on "bedroom volume level" as well as use it on stage ?

Greetz,
Willem

Last edited:
Hi Sash. Thanks for responding !

I am currently not playing in an band, mainly because of the Covid crisis but als because I haven't had the time for a band the couple last years. But I am very very eager to start playing again as soon as possible.

The last year I have been working on my electric guitar skills with a tutor, because I have mainly been playing acoustic guitar so far. Electric is fun and sometimes challenging ! I have also bought a Helix - I know, I know, wrong choice as far as this group is probably concerned :)

So, if I understand you correctly, the MF10 woud be the best overall solution, since I can play it on "bedroom volume level" as well as use it on stage ?

Greetz,
Willem
Hi Willem,

yeah here to, no Gigs etc. for more than a year and nobody knows when we could start playing gigs or going to concerts again.

And yes the MF10 would be the perfect solution for now and the future.
Bedroom levels are sounding very good and rehearsal or gig volume sounding awesome.
In short the Elis 8 do have a slightly mir bump compared to the MF 10 and the MF10 are wider sounding. It’s a bit like comparing a 2x12 and a 4x12 cab.
I‘m using both with great success but if I had to choose only one, I would go for the MF10.

And in my opinion the Helix is not a bad choice!
Great for archiving a good sound very fast and it’s easy to handle.
I think that people should not blame each other for choosing a different type of gear etc. we are all musicians and we should be happy and unite for having such a great hobby, profession etc.
Cheers
Sash

And yes the MF10 would be the perfect solution for now and the future.
Bedroom levels are sounding very good and rehearsal or gig volume sounding awesome.
In short the Elis 8 do have a slightly mir bump compared to the MF 10 and the MF10 are wider sounding. It’s a bit like comparing a 2x12 and a 4x12 cab.
I‘m using both with great success but if I had to choose only one, I would go for the MF10.
I completely agree.

The MF.10 is schefuled to be delivered on Monday - I am excited to try it out. Just the one active cabinet for now - perhaps the passive one will follow.

One daft question. I use a Helix floor. Do I connect both outputs from the Helix (left and right) to the two inputs on the MF.10? Or am I supposed to use the MF.10 in mono mode and use one input (left)?

Greetz,
Willem

The MF.10 is schefuled to be delivered on Monday - I am excited to try it out. Just the one active cabinet for now - perhaps the passive one will follow.

One daft question. I use a Helix floor. Do I connect both outputs from the Helix (left and right) to the two inputs on the MF.10? Or am I supposed to use the MF.10 in mono mode and use one input (left)?

Greetz,
Willem
One Input, Mono only. (the right one)

Back
Top Bottom