Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 10 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely it doesn't take a month and a half to port it. Then again, I'm no software engineer. Granted, there will be bugs to squash but surely since February 12th the majority of the porting has been done.
It's not just a matter of mechanically "porting" it and then it's good to go. IIRC the FM3 architecture is a bit different and there can be random snags along the way, not to mention different optimizations needed to get it to run right.

Also,the FAS team has a fixed (human!) bandwidth for everything they are working on. As an ex-developer, it frustrates me when some decide it should be quick or easy for FAS to do everything all at once. We also know FAS are relative perfectionists even as they try to satisfy our (first world) desires as fast as possible.

It's not just a matter of mechanically "porting" it and then it's good to go. IIRC the FM3 architecture is a bit different and there can be random snags along the way, not to mention different optimizations needed to get it to run right.

Also,the FAS team has a fixed (human!) bandwidth for everything they are working on. As an ex-developer, it frustrates me when some decide it should be quick or easy for FAS to do everything all at once. We also know FAS are relative perfectionists even as they try to satisfy our (first world) desires as fast as possible.
As I said, I'm not a software engineer. I also said I'm sure there will be bugs to squash. But I assume the majority of the code would have been ported around 2/12, and then additional code added as time went on. I'm well aware of the differing architecture involved. What was said by someone else was that they thought only the bias excursion stuff had been ported and then someone else said that porting doesn't equal ported, implying that a month and a half after Cliff's post the majority of the code wouldn't be in the FM3. Again, not being a software engineer, I don't see how that would be the case.

Are you being deliberately obtuse?
I took it as a very literal question. The current beta seems to have about 80% of the amps done and verified along with fixing bugs along the way as he enters and verifies them. So it would literally be impossible for him to have done all this a month prior on the FM3. He might have done some basic groundwork to the functions, but each amp model then has to be updated with that information as well.

I don't pretend to understand the process, but you are operating under a number of faulty assumptions.

I took it as a very literal question. The current beta seems to have about 80% of the amps done and verified along with fixing bugs along the way as he enters and verifies them. So it would literally be impossible for him to have done all this a month prior on the FM3. He might have done some basic groundwork to the functions, but each amp model then has to be updated with that information as well.

I don't pretend to understand the process, but you are operating under a number of faulty assumptions.
I don't know. If he says, "Porting Cygnus as we speak", I take that to mean he's porting the new modeling engine. The amps, I assume, are peripheral to the engine. I'm not sure what assumptions would be faulty. He clearly said that he was porting Cygnus. Not parts of Cygnus,. Not bias excursion only. Cygnus.

I don't know. If he says, "Porting Cygnus as we speak", I take that to mean he's porting the new modeling engine. The amps, I assume, are peripheral to the engine. I'm not sure what assumptions would be faulty. He clearly said that he was porting Cygnus. Not parts of Cygnus,. Not bias excursion only. Cygnus.

Well since only Cliff really understands what that actually means, then we can safely not assume anything given that it is clearly not even in beta for the FM3 yet.

I mean you can believe whatever you like, obviously it isn't done yet.

Well since only Cliff really understands what that actually means, then we can safely not assume anything given that it is clearly not even in beta for the FM3 yet.

I mean you can believe whatever you like, obviously it isn't done yet.
Correct. I never said it was done.

What do you do when you're in the middle of moving houses & lurking the forums during the most prolific public beta FW release in FAS history? That's easy... when you get your gear back you upgrade each beta one at a time to get that fix:

*Special mentions to Beta #6 that I was too late to snag (bugs and all).

View attachment 80560
Umm, you don't have to load each version, only the most recent

Last FM3 FW update was on March 10, and included the following detail:
FM3 Firmware Version 3.02 is now available for download
NOTE: This release contains exciting new features and fixes, but does NOT include CYGNUS amp modeling, which will be delivered in a future FM3 update.
Porting is a PROCESS.
It's not a switch. Code needs to be written and software adapted to the new environment, the FM3 in this case.
That takes time.

Add to that, the latest speaker compression "epiphany" which is likely still ongoing, and going to take some more time.
It's all good.

As soon as it is ready it will release. Then it will be available for FM3 shortly thereafter.
(Maybe there will be a public beta for the FM3, maybe it will just get the finished product. We'll see.)

In any case, it will have been worth the wait. As usual.

Last FM3 FW update was on March 10, and included the following detail:

Porting is a PROCESS.
It's not a switch. Code needs to be written and software adapted to the new environment, the FM3 in this case.
That takes time.

Add to that, the latest speaker compression "epiphany" which is likely still ongoing, and going to take some more time.
It's all good.

As soon as it is ready it will release. Then it will be available for FM3 shortly thereafter.
(Maybe there will be a public beta for the FM3, maybe it will just get the finished product. We'll see.)

In any case, it will have been worth the wait. As usual.
Again...I never said that it wasn't a process or that it was a simple switch. I must not be making myself understood, but I'm over it. Eagerly awaiting Cygnus, speaker compression, the new drives AND UltraRes which he just announced.

Not at all , I am explaining why Cygnus as a whole could not have been ported
when that statement was made
if i am misunderstanding you
i apologize
It must be me. You're not the only one who misunderstood what I was saying. It's all good, no need to apologize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom