Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 8 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s been a lot of praise over the high gain and Class-A style amps, but I’ve been FLOORED by the Fender stuff in Beta 8. The Princeton AA964 has been so much fun to play. The touch sensitivity is absolutely incredible and there’s a “string clarity” and immediacy that really showcases the nuances of dynamic playing.

Outstanding work, Cliff.
I have to try the Princeton again. I have 66 Princton Reverb and that amp just sounds so good. My main sound these days is Matchless + Bassman(or JTM45) . I forgot all about the Princeton in the Axe-fx. Thanks. I almost exclusively use your cabs now. They just work extremely well for me. Thanks

Oh, yummy! U2 tone.
Could you share that preset, please?

HAHAHA! Feel free to use that excuse. :) I had to forego my bluesy chops, so here's a clip using a Tele with the Prince Tone AA964 with an 808 in front and a little Spring Reverb on the back end. I LOVE how Cygnus lets you hear the "stringy" attack of a Telecaster.

HAHAHA! Feel free to use that excuse. :) I had to forego my bluesy chops, so here's a clip using a Tele with the Prince Tone AA964 with an 808 in front and a little Spring Reverb on the back end. I LOVE how Cygnus lets you hear the "stringy" attack of a Telecaster.

That sounds great. gritty but still articulate.

Oh boy I just found of couple of new friends, the Herbie channel 3 and the Splawn Q-rod OD2-3, these suckers don't need a boost that's sure, WOW!! Chugfest with a "YA RECTO ST 412 57V b G" cab IR.
Yep...that Herbie Ch 3 is a good one.....I’ve got it in stereo with the Uberschall and.....just awesome. Mix in some black backs with that recto st and Wow!

Oh boy I just found of couple of new friends, the Herbie channel 3 and the Splawn Q-rod OD2-3, these suckers don't need a boost that's sure, WOW!! Chugfest with a "YA RECTO ST 412 57V b G" cab IR.
I just found some recordings of an old band where I used a Splawn QuickRod. I made some irs with the cab I used with Splawn Small Block speakers. It sounds so close now.

Now this is how the DC30 should sound! Loving the mix of headroom and breakup in Beta 8! Thanks for constantly improving!

Here's the preset (amp and cab only) from the clip above.

EDIT: The clip was recorded via USB straight into Logic. Zero processing in Logic.

Attachments

• Match DC30 EF86 Hi FW 16.b8_20210317_193027.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
I haven't been getting to play much lately but loaded up the new beta. No adjustments to an old favorite lead preset that uses one of the Friedmans and it has to be the best lead tone I've heard. Cygnus is magical :) thanks for all the hard work Cliff! It's great to be along for the ride!

The Friedmann Bis and HBEs aren't sounding wright for me.
Here ist a comparison:

Cygnus sounds fuller no doubt, but there ist some fuzziness. Hard to describe.

the Cygnus version is a lil darker , thicker , is it possible some of your default setting got thrown off
check the low cut in amp block , can you turn up the pres and treble a bit to get some more of the top end back ?
I mean honestly its not night and day to my ears

The Friedmann Bis and HBEs aren't sounding wright for me.
Here ist a comparison:

Cygnus sounds fuller no doubt, but there ist some fuzziness. Hard to describe.

Cygnus version sounds better IMO. A bit more crossover distortion but you can increase the Power Tube Bias to reduce that.

Also note that the BE/HBE were all updated to 2018 spec so the negative feedback is much lower. This will result in less presence for equal settings of the Presence control.

If you want the sound of 15.01 increase Negative Feedback to 9.8.

Last edited:
Cygnus version sounds better IMO. A bit more crossover distortion but you can increase the Power Tube Bias to reduce that.

Also note that the BE/HBE were all updated to 2018 spec so the negative feedback is much lower. This will result in less presence for equal settings of the Presence control.

If you want the sound of 15.01 increase Negative Feedback to 9.8.

so in the older Freidmans like Marsha etc it was a higher setting of NFB?

the new 2018 almost sounds a bit more like the JBE , that thicker growl

Exactly. So far I've compared three of my real amps with their corresponding models. On one of them, I pulled up the model and thought "well that can't be right." Then I plugged in the real amp and matched the settings with the model and said "huh, well I guess it IS right." It's getting silly how close these models are to the real stuff. It's at the point now that if you don't like a model, you probably wouldn't like the real thing either.
Completely agree

Here's the preset (amp and cab only) from the clip above.

EDIT: The clip was recorded via USB straight into Logic. Zero processing in Logic.
Thank you! So, that clean voiced dirty tone comes from the model alone, no additional drive block nedded and even at almost default settings. I cranked gain some. Nice cab arrangement, instant combo tone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom