Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 5 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you also imagine adjusting some of these things at your gig live?

Drummer tells you to turn up a tad....

You go from barely audible at 0.9 to blasting everyone's ears off at 1.2

Your drummer is screaming at you to try another amp instead, that one is making his ears bleed...
All of this can be solved with duct tape and absorptive blankets: tape the drummer’s hands together behind his back and wrap the blankets repeatedly around his head...
😉

You sure you want 'KNOB'?

It has some pretty spicy usages in British English:
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/knob

;)
Knob = button “gomb”- means in Hungarian.

button = jacket button

button =shirt button

button slang = “pityke” in Hungarian. :)

“pitykézni”= to have sex with a woman.;):smiley::smilecat:

The road from button to sex is so short!:sweatsmile::smile:

Word games.

Puns.

Sorry, so many suddenly came to my mind from the button.

So for each model FAS should calculate the exact relationship between Master and Level over the whole range ...? Yes, that's complicated. And totally not worth it, IMHO.

Let's make things more simple, not more difficult.
For me it's not worth too to calculate exact relationship. But it is what Cliff is doing (https://forum.fractalaudio.com/goto/post?id=2058159).
The relationship is not "individual", but model a scale (A log 10, A log 15, B linear).
But I get the value of both autentic & ideal, both useful.

The Master Volume control taper now matches the real amp. In all prior firmwares the MV taper was Log15 for every model regardless of what the real amp used. I will have to check those two models you are using to see if the taper is different from Log15.

I may return the taper back to Log15 for the final release. Haven't decided yet.
This is awesome! My vote would definitely go towards a MV taper that matches the real amp!

Any chance that the presence taper will get the same treatment? Meaning that the presence taper also will match the real amp?

Pretty please? 😇

Unpopular opinion: After a few days with 16.00 Beta, I'm going back to 15.01. I love the extra low end in 16, but I feel like I've lost some headroom, and every amp I use regularly sounds fizzy when boosted (same boost settings and amp settings I've always used). The culprits are: DC30, AC20, Liverpool and Rocket. I'm also getting a weird sustain and buzz on an F, F# and G played in the octave on the G string at the 10th, 11th and 12th frets... sounds like cone cry. Turned off all drives, delay and reverb and it still does it. Bummed!
Those are "ghost notes". Same as the real amps. Increase B+ filtering or change supply to DC.

Awesome tip, thanks Boss. I assume that the FAS models don’t have the same effect? I am moving towards using FAS models exclusively.
In general the FAS models remove the "warts" or at least reduce them a bit.

I was comparing our AC-20 to the model some time ago and played a note on the G string at the 10th fret and was like "Woah, what is that?". I realized it was a ghost note. I was surprised as ghost notes aren't usually associated with "Class-A" amps (although an AC-20 isn't really true Class-A). The model wasn't doing it so that was one of the things that made me go back to the drawing board for Cygnus.

Wow, that’s incredible to me. To think that the model is so accurate that it even misbehaves the same way as the physical version. Hats off to you sir.

However there are enough warts in my playing and I don’t really understand tube amp theory yet, so it’s great that the FAS models are there. Last gig I used all FAS Rhythm except for Bandmaster for cleans and it was sounding great.

I thought the Chieftain got even brighter in 16 b5 - which it was already super bright. I need to try 15.01 again to remember what some of these sounded like.
But it’s a bright amp in real life…I think for me, sometimes when you get something in a FW that you love - and then it changes - it’s like mentally hard to pivot. I could just reduce the brightness…but in my mind I think “that’s not the way it’s supposed to be” instead of “ok, just adjust.”

Last edited:
I thought the Chieftain got even brighter in 16 b5 - which it was already super bright. I need to try 15.01 again to remember what some of these sounded like.
But it’s a bright amp in real life…I think for me, sometimes when you get something in a FW that you love - and then it changes - it’s like mentally hard to pivot. I could just reduce the brightness…but in my mind I think “that’s not the way it’s supposed to be” instead of “ok, just adjust.”
The Chieftain was totally redone and has not been verified yet. I have not verified the tone control tapers yet.

I'm dreading lugging that amp into the lab because it weighs a metric ton.

Those are "ghost notes". Same as the real amps. Increase B+ filtering or change supply to DC.
It’s not really another note other than the fundamental, it’s more of a buzz that sounds like come cry. In fact, to me it sounds like there are fewer ghost notes, especially on the DC30 than then there were in the prior bets before it was updated.

It’s not really another note other than the fundamental, it’s more of a buzz that sounds like come cry. In fact, to me it sounds like there are fewer ghost notes, especially on the DC30 than then there were in the prior bets before it was updated.
As I stated earlier the amps are more aggressive. There was a mistake in the power tube grid drive. If you don't like it I suggest using earlier firmware.

@FractalAudio Hi Cliff,

I've made a recording (attached) showing the difference I'm hearing and feeling. First pass is Public Beta 1, second Public Beta 2.

This is a very basic preset to make sure nothing in my own preset was messing this up.

We have an input block first, threshold OFF, nothing else touched from stock.
Then Friedman BE V1 in the amp block, all settings stock except gain upped to 9 as thats where I had it in my preset.
Cab block with a York Audio Mesa OS 412 SM57 CE2 IR selected, nothing else touched in the cab block from stock.
Output block, all stock.

Here you can clearly hear the difference, Public Beta 2 is muffled, has muddy low mids, it sounds a bit like you would if you knocked your guitar's tone control down a few notches. Almost sounds almost like some kind of blocking distortion is the best way I can describe it.

Disclaimer I haven't used a re-amp track, I can if you need me to provide identical takes. I just played pretty much the same chords each time, though this should be enough to hear something has went wrong with this model even if the model hasn't been changed since Public Beta 1.

If you need me to do anything else let me know.

There's a mistake in the Friedman BE/HBE models. I fat fingered the bias recovery value. Instead of entering 'e' I entered '6'. The correct value for the bias recovery is 2.23e-3 but I entered 2.236-3.

For now you can set the Preamp Bias Excursion to zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom