Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 5 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
just a thought, as I will be happy with whatever Cliff decides, but what if the Master volume of the amp was made to have no effect at all on the actual volume? Make the Master Volume simply control the amount of power tube compression/saturation at the authentic setting (taper) of each amp, but make the amp's level control be the only way to control the loudness of the amp. right now, both of them are affecting the output volume of the block.

That way people could just set the level to how loud they want the amp to be and then set the Master volume until the tone, feel, dynamics of the amp are to their liking. It would then be possible to A/B different settings of the Master Volume control without needing to adjust the volume accordingly.

Perhaps the way the code is written won't allow this, I don't know. Only Cliff could answer that.

That would be a really bad design idea, because it would send levels all over the place when switching between the two options, and it would seriously hinder sharing presets.
Makes sense, but wouldn't you say there must be a way to have these two options implemented?

just a thought, as I will be happy with whatever Cliff decides, but what if the Master volume of the amp was made to have no effect at all on the actual volume? Make the Master Volume simply control the amount of power tube compression/saturation at the authentic setting (taper) of each amp, but make the amp's level control be the only way to control the loudness of the amp. right now, both of them are affecting the output volume of the block.

That way people could just set the level to how loud they want the amp to be and then set the Master volume until the tone, feel, dynamics of the amp are to their liking. It would then be possible to A/B different settings of the Master Volume control without needing to adjust the volume accordingly.

Perhaps the way the code is written won't allow this, I don't know. Only Cliff could answer that.
An interesting idea, but that would move us further from actual amp modeling.

If we go with idealized MV, and the authentic taper is known, can’t someone just publish a calculator to do a quick convert, similar to what is in Yek’s guide for the Fender knobs?
That wouldn't be hard if it wasn't for the fact that each amp model would have its own conversion chart.

Best idea I have seen so far is to have a switch somewhere that chooses behavior between Authentic and Ideal. Gotta agree with @My name is mud on this one, as the MV behavior is part and parcel with the amp's character.

For some reason, this pic comes to mind:
c4d757f3eb24cdbdc487bcd9d06c6e50-12.png

How about both, at least in axe edit.. log 15 on the idealized tab (or whatever it’s called), and the manufacture value on the authentic tab.

Has anyone noticed that the Friedman BE/HBE sounds a little "off" under beta 5? I tried a preset that I had dialed in with Beta 4 which sounded great to me and now under beta 5 it sounds fuzzy/mushy to my ears, even after a reset. Might be how the amp sounds now but just wanted to put it out there. Kind of has that sound characteristic of the JVM when it ended up having an error in it a bunch of firmwares back.
I noticed the bright cap value changed, and thought the same!

How about both, at least in axe edit.. log 15 on the idealized tab (or whatever it’s called), and the manufacture value on the authentic tab.

Very complicating and even maybe not possible ... You would have two different controls, both called Master, and they wouldn't be linked.

Great beta. I think I hit a pretty easy repro of the bug others are talking about from amp pop if it helps.

Also this beta sounds awesome. Still working on this preset but really already digging a lot of the sounds I'm getting from it.

To repro:

Go to scene8
Hit like a C major power chord
switch to scene1 (I use scene + on my FC6)

Hear really loud pop as it moves across the scene

Edit: I realize this has two user cabs in it ... Cali Far field a&B from the Fractal far field free pack. Doesn't seem to matter for the repro though. I just tried moving preset 1 cab to channel B which uses factory cabs and I still repro quite easily.

Attachments

• Dumble amp test.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Very complicating and even maybe not possible ... You would have two different controls, both called Master, and they wouldn't be linked.
It's not complicate at all. The value is a number. Now the master (each know) goes from 1 to 10 with a unknown curve (linear, log 10, log 15, exp... we don't care, some people want autenticity so they want each model with different curve, as now). In a different page the "ideal master knob" has one curve, choosen from Cliff, the best for him. The knob change the value. When "autentic" page is loaded, the master reflect the value. Simply. They are linked, but in a simple way: the value of the level into the poweramp.

Great beta. I think I hit a pretty easy repro of the bug others are talking about from amp pop if it helps.

Also this beta sounds awesome. Still working on this preset but really already digging a lot of the sounds I'm getting from it.

To repro:

Go to scene8
Hit like a C major power chord
switch to scene1 (I use scene + on my FC6)

Hear really loud pop as it moves across the scene
What happens if you hit a D7aug5?

It's not complicate at all. The value is a number. Now the master (each know) goes from 1 to 10 with a unknown curve (linear, log 10, log 15, exp... we don't care, some people want autenticity so they want each model with different curve, as now). In a different page the "ideal master knob" has one curve, choosen from Cliff, the best for him. The knob change the value. When "autentic" page is loaded, the master reflect the value. Simply. They are linked, but in a simple way: the value of the level into the poweramp.

So for each model FAS should calculate the exact relationship between Master and Level over the whole range ...? Yes, that's complicated. And totally not worth it, IMHO.

Let's make things more simple, not more difficult.

Has anyone noticed that the Friedman BE/HBE sounds a little "off" under beta 5? I tried a preset that I had dialed in with Beta 4 which sounded great to me and now under beta 5 it sounds fuzzy/mushy to my ears, even after a reset. Might be how the amp sounds now but just wanted to put it out there. Kind of has that sound characteristic of the JVM when it ended up having an error in it a bunch of firmwares back.

Can confirm I'm also hearing this exactly as @Satch4u3 describes it after just updating from Beta 1 to Beta 2, similar to how the JVM and 5150 III Red was when discovered faulty.

For reference I'm using Friedman BE V1 and previously had the master volume set to 4. Using my ears and watching the headroom meter I hear that this seems to translate to around 2.8 on the master volume in the new beta, but this isn't the difference in sound I'm hearing, something definitely sounds off.

I have reset and re-dialed, new version of Axe Edit refreshed, everything covered from what I can see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom