QSC K.2 with FRFR -- Any Good?

vika12

Experienced
I'm looking for a backup active to my CLR, which is out for repair. I play indoor and outdoor gigs usually 50 to 100 people. I'm thinking of the QSC K.2 8" as a lightweight solution. Does anyone have experience with these / any advice? Thanks!!

I've used the K10 for small gigs and liked it.
I've worked a lot with the KW 112 and think that this is their best sounding option for guitar.
I'd say "TRY IT AND SEE!"

I have no experience with the CLR but the K series and the CP series both sound top notch. Super clear, built to last and get plenty loud. Across the board I can't think of anyone that didn't like them.

Just to warn you, the QSC sounds nothing like the CLR. I have CLR's and a K10. They sound nothing alike to my ears, and I would find it difficult to play through a K10 again now that I have used the CLR. But in a pinch, you will at least be able to hear yourself. Why not just pick up another (used) CLR?

Just to warn you, the QSC sounds nothing like the CLR. I have CLR's and a K10. They sound nothing alike to my ears, and I would find it difficult to play through a K10 again now that I have used the CLR. But in a pinch, you will at least be able to hear yourself. Why not just pick up another (used) CLR?
I have a gig coming up and thought I might check out another option until the CLR comes back (whenever that might be).

Can you describe the difference in sound you refer to?

QSC has muddy midrange and hyped treble and bass response. The mids sounded like they were quite a distance away. Highs and lows were out of proportion to the mids too. But the mids sounding distant and muddy is in addition to them being "low in the mix".

I used a k12 first version for over 10 years. Never gave me any issue whatsoever, rock solid. Lows can be a little pronounced, but I stood mine up on end, and fiddled with the buttons on the back to tame the low end. Never had any sound guy say my signal sucked, or any issue with FOH. Plus it works great if you want to blast some tunes while working in the garage :)

That's what global eq or an eq block is for - you can always adjust for the powered speaker or PA you use...

I personally like to dial in my presets to my Alto cheapo PA speakers - that way I know it will translate fine to where ever I might play.

QSC has muddy midrange and hyped treble and bass response. The mids sounded like they were quite a distance away. Highs and lows were out of proportion to the mids too. But the mids sounding distant and muddy is in addition to them being "low in the mix".
QSC K. CP series has smooth tremble, mids sound ok, lows are a bit hyped. I prefer the floor monitor position, with a bit of low end eq added. Or eq flat if i want to cut trhu the mix without disturbing the band... CP also is very very compact as added bonus.

guys can anyone help? i saw that at namm 2015 jason richardson has in his rack as a power amp a QSC PLD model !! any thoughts? is this better than other solutions !which are its pros ?

QSC K series is for DJs first IME. Well made, light and loud but require some EQ to achieve a closer to neutral sound.
I'm pretty happy with the Celestion F12-X200 - more people should try one in a cab they already have IMO, especially for a backup.

QSC K series is for DJs first IME. Well made, light and loud but require some EQ to achieve a closer to neutral sound.
I'm pretty happy with the Celestion F12-X200 - more people should try one in a cab they already have IMO, especially for a backup.
But he didn't mention K series... ;)

Edit:

Maybe you were replying to the thread in general?

But he didn't mention K series... ;)

Edit:

Maybe you were replying to the thread in general?
Yes UG you are right, quoting a music retail friend, I was overly specific on sub-brand.
He, pre-pandemic, sold a lot of DJ gear and QSC flew off the shelves.
He thought highly of it, but not its neutrality.

I'm not a hater, I have the old school, feels like and lugs like real wood QSC PA gear, the HPR line, and its heavy, but I also think it holds together better at high volume than the newer, light and loud composite plastic boxes.

I will also post some shots of the Celestion in an Avatar cab, I really like it for an also less accurate than a CLR but feels like a cab vibe with IRs.

Almost impossible to find consensus on FRFR.
(I suppose that's true in most audio applications.)

What some swear by, others find unusable.

Also impossible to EVER find Atomic CLRs in stock.

I know it's been mentioned before, but it would be interesting to see FAS enter into the powered FRFR marketplace.

The affordable units (<$400) are typically regarded as poor, and the good ones are astronomical. Especially for a stereo pair.

I've been happy with the PC212+, but they aren't cheap either, and I have no other frame of reference.

Yes UG you are right, quoting a music retail friend, I was overly specific on sub-brand.
He, pre-pandemic, sold a lot of DJ gear and QSC flew off the shelves.
He thought highly of it, but not its neutrality.

I'm not a hater, I have the old school, feels like and lugs like real wood QSC PA gear, the HPR line, and its heavy, but I also think it holds together better at high volume than the newer, light and loud composite plastic boxes.

I will also post some shots of the Celestion in an Avatar cab, I really like it for an also less accurate than a CLR but feels like a cab vibe with IRs.
Ok... So you're talking about the cabs. The last post before your reply is maybe a bit misplaced in this thread because he is asking about an amp, not a powered speaker. ;)

I think the key thing with using IR for live, and not just out to the PA, is to find what YOU like.

I love the CLR but only for home use. Live I find it hard to carry and safely pack with other gear, wedges are an odd shape - and totally not worth the hassle. It is the best dispersal and most accurate to my ears, but versus taking anything else, I'd rather carry that. I've got earplugs in anyway, have to with live drums, so the nuances are well and truly lost for me and the audience.

That is why 90% of the tone you want is enough for live IME. I heard this from 5 watt world guy, his name escapes me, and he's totally right.

Its like one of the Blink-182 guys said, "live you should be worrying more about if you are running around enough, its a show not a recital." and there I totally agree.

I think the key thing with using IR for live, and not just out to the PA, is to find what YOU like.

I love the CLR but only for home use. Live I find it hard to carry, and totally not worth the hassle. It is the best dispersal and most accurate to my ears, but versus taking anything else, I'd rather carry that. I've got earplugs in anyway, have to with live drums, so the nuances are well and truly lost for me and the audience.
You should check out the Xitone stuff. Sounds great, transports well and ultra durable. Unlike the CLRs that seem to get a dent or chip if you look at them sideways :)

Back
Top Bottom