Fastest solo ever?

P

plexi59

Haven't heard this one before:

I wonder if JP can even play this at his current age.

Actual performance isn't as clean as this video, though. The "tab track" makes it sound quite a bit cleaner.

Dude, he's brutally fast when he wants to be ("As I Am, e.g.), melodic as hell too, but for my money, the 16th note triplet arpeggio pull-offs in "Never Enough" has got to be one of the most difficult.

Haven't heard this one before:

I wonder if JP can even play this at his current age.

He can probably do it sitting down, feet on counter, eyes closed and fixing a crepes suzette without missing a lick right now and spontaneously while improving it somehow .............

Probably not. Gilbert, for example, can’t play some of his fastest stuff anymore. Vai, too.

impeliterri,batio, petrucci, vai, gambale and dimeola, and Michael Romeo are the fastest guitarists around (Shawn lane RIP would’ve been in there too as well as Becker who ALS is a tragedy) but it’s impossible to say who’s fastest because at top speed, when on fire, they are all the same practically, at one point or another

Buckethead as well. This particular solo reminds me of some of Buckethead's stuff. Too bad it's not on the record. It's a rather mellow song there.

Anything off the Nitro album with Michael Angelo is about as fast as anyone would want to go.
Yes , I don’t think there is a SINGLE fastest solo, as I’ve heard all of the greats reach the same limits of speed - But as d said, there is no way, no how any more ridiculously gratuitous display of speed than nitro. Angelo is probably as fast/faster than JP, Lane , and maybe impelliterri but for consistently ridiculous amounts of endless barbaric speed picking, string skipping, sweep picking, and a little bit of tapping, it doesn’t get any faster than Nitro albums - but honestly it sounds a lot like JPs Rock DiscipliNE video where he does the chromatic and excercise at like 210bpm

it’s just a tornado of notes, and to be honest, it’s more of a technical excercise than music expression - I don’t say that out of envy either, I’m not going to brag or sound like it but I can hold my own with speed - but I def think Angelo was just a technician , not a composer whatsoever

Buckethead as well. This particular solo reminds me of some of Buckethead's stuff. Too bad it's not on the record. It's a rather mellow song there.
Buckethead doesn't have as deep a repetoire as Petrucci, and most of his fast licks are hammer-on/pull-offs. He's got incredibly fast fingers, but Petrucci can do all that, plus sweeps, crazy string skipping, super fast alt picking (eg Paradigm Shift), along with solos of all types of different scales/modes. I don't nearly as much diversity in BH's stuff.

I believe that over a certain speed you can't really hear the notes and it becomes useless and maybe ridiculous 🤣 sometimes. But I think this guy is the fastest I've ever heard

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom