Tiny speaker suggestions for practicing?

I like to jam with headphones (Sony MDR-7506) while going through the THR10 at the same time (aux stereo from the FM3). I sit close to the THR10, which is usually set to low/moderate TV volume. I don't really hear the amp, but I kind of feel it. I read somewhere that playing totally silent (headphones only) can change the feel of the playing experience because the sound waves are no longer bouncing off/interacting with the guitar strings. I think there's definitely something to that (tried with and without), so I like to sit close to the amp with the speakers pointed right at the strings while enjoying a slightly more 'alive' sound through the headphones. I have the THR10 (older beige model) and the newer THR30II. I prefer the THR10 for monitoring the FM3 when jamming at normal TV volume. There is something more focused, present, sweet in the midrange about the THR10 to my ears compared to the THR30II, which I found a bit dark/wooly when using its aux input.

Yorkville has a battery powered unit... it's not super light but it would certainly work well and can handle the rigors of travel.

Mackie had/has a SRM150 that is pretty small. Galaxy Audio has an "any spot" made for monitoring.

Bose S1 is also pretty good.

You will be giving up a lot to use these though.

Well, it was a short few days with Bose SoundLink Mini II SE.
The sound was decent and absolutely enough for practicing.

However, the latency is unbearable (for me). So back to the shop it goes.

The search goes on :)

An unlikely suggestion but I’m thinking of trying the battery powered Ikea Enby. I believe using the aux in bypasses Bluetooth so no latency. They get surprisingly good reviews. The battery is extra which but for extra cost I see as a plus because replacement is straightforward.

These little Behringers are great!!!!!! I use them to monitor my FM3, and also to check Logic mixes.

This seems a ridicoulous thing to say but alonside my Genelecs they "hold their own", a differing sound from the Genelecs but still very very useable, cost me £120 each, check them out. (I sound like a salesman I know, but IMO they are that good?

Attachments

• IMG_0148.JPG
    IMG_0148.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0149.JPG
    IMG_0149.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0151.JPG
    IMG_0151.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0150.JPG
    IMG_0150.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 23
Well, it was a short few days with Bose SoundLink Mini II SE.
The sound was decent and absolutely enough for practicing.

However, the latency is unbearable (for me). So back to the shop it goes.

The search goes on :)
It had latency through the AUX input? or it doesnt have one?

These little Behringers are great!!!!!! I use them to monitor my FM3, and also to check Logic mixes.

This seems a ridicoulous thing to say but alonside my Genelecs they "hold their own", a differing sound from the Genelecs but still very very useable, cost me £120 each, check them out. (I sound like a salesman I know, but IMO they are that good?
These seem to be great inexpensive speakers! Maybe need to get one to try out. But size is a bit concerning.

It had latency through the AUX input? or it doesnt have one?
My plan was to use it specifically through AUX for practicing. Sadly, it still has noticeable latency when using AUX.
Apparently, a built-in DSP that is not optimized for minimal latency.

I installed the latest firmware, but it did not help.

Ok just tried hooking up my mini travel amp for grins.

It's a Nux Mighty air and I hooked up dual xlr to 3.5 mm stereo aux in. Aside from not being super loud I was very surprised with how well it turned out. And it's about as small and portable a solution as you could ask for.

Ok just tried hooking up my mini travel amp for grins.

It's a Nux Mighty air and I hooked up dual xlr to 3.5 mm stereo aux in. Aside from not being super loud I was very surprised with how well it turned out. And it's about as small and portable a solution as you could ask for.
Interesting little device, never heard of it.
When you connected it via AUX, have you noticed any latency?

Do you know if these are FRFR (well, as much as we can call such small speakers FRFR) speakers inside or "guitar cab" ones?

Interesting little device, never heard of it.
When you connected it via AUX, have you noticed any latency?

Do you know if these are FRFR (well, as much as we can call such small speakers FRFR) speakers inside or "guitar cab" ones?
Well it's a modelling amp and you can definitely hear the differences between the irs when you change it's modelling internally.

I suspect that means the speakers are frfr ish however I wouldn't be surprised if there is some dsp processing on the input aux signal as it sounds better than it should for two such small speakers.

I can't detect noticeable latency on the aux in.( Or on the wireless guitar in for that matter)

If you order off amazon it's a pretty hassle free return.

I will add that I also have a yamaha thr30ii and had a thr5 before. The nux is quite a bit smaller and a little quieter than the thr5 so it would only be suitable for very quiet practice

I have not noticed any latency with the THR products, but I know what you mean about the AUX latency on some of these small speakers (I've experienced it too).

For late/quiet jamming, I much prefer playing through my THR10's AUX (stereo glory), compared to my Headrush 108.

I will add that I also have a yamaha thr30ii and had a thr5 before. The nux is quite a bit smaller and a little quieter than the thr5 so it would only be suitable for very quiet practice
How was your experience with THR5? I am looking at THR V5 and it might be the one I'll test next.

Back
Top Bottom