Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 4 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really , really, really need to try more this function . I have tried it in the axe 2 and got some caricatural reproductions. Here your exemple is super cool ! You plug your source in mono ? Is there a topic or ... maybe the manual is clear about this function. Thank you , you gives me some new hope and perspective with the afd
Try it, it's awesome. Yes, the source was Tone Matched in mono. A lot of differences you hear in YouTube videos are related to the sound imparted by the mic and cab rather than the amp.

Last edited:
Generally curious as to what changes are coming for the unique FAS models that don't have an analog counterpoint; I mainly use the modern II for my dirty tones, so I haven't installed the beta yet since (as far as I've read) the moderns have yet to get the Cygnus treatment.

Any teasers on what to expect may be different/improved on these models?

Honestly... Until firmware 15, IR was a huge part of the final sound, not so much difference between same type amps... But now, with Cygnus, the bloc amp is THE bloc, IR is always important to the finals tones, but less than before, differences between amps are more realistic, even with the same IR, you can really hear a noticeable difference in tones and feel, each amps have its own character and tone, which you can hear, even using the same IR... We are really, really near the sounds, feel, and responsiveness of tubes... BRAVO 👏👏👏

Just FYI, that was a Bogner + a Japanese (maybe modded) DS-1. And yes, it was glorious. The Carvin days, not so much. Even the Jemini stompbox is a total letdown IMO.

That’s correct, a MIJ DS-1. He didn’t start using the Keeley stuff until he had the Legacy/Ulra Zone era.

When I went from Ares to Cygnus Beta, just about everything turned to mud, then I read the tech notes about Cygnus not having the dynamic depth and presence controls. Once I got that squared everything is sounding pretty dang good.

i sent a buddy a clip of the MarkIv “Black Album” preset I have. It sounds great in the room.

Last edited:
Honestly... Until firmware 15, IR was a huge part of the final sound, not so much difference between same type amps... But now, with Cygnus, the bloc amp is THE bloc, IR is always important to the finals tones, but less than before, differences between amps are more realistic, even with the same IR, you can really hear a noticeable difference in tones and feel, each amps have its own character and tone, which you can hear, even using the same IR... We are really, really near the sounds, feel, and responsiveness of tubes... BRAVO 👏👏👏
Been trying to get my head around this as well going back and forth between different IRs / IRs and real cabs - the "coupling" for lack of a better word, seems improved between amp/cab, amp/fx, amp/drives ...

When I went from Ares to Cygnus Beta, just about everything turned to mud, then I read the tech notes about Cygnus not having the dynamic depth and presence controls. Once I got that squared everything is sounding pretty dang good.

i sent a buddy a clip of the MarkIv “Black Album” preset I have. It sounds great in the room.

Am I the only one not hearing the sound?

As a Fishman user, I agree 110%!!!

I hate saying it, but tbh I think it could allude to the whole "modelers sounding too condensed and overprocessed" thing having some merit after all. granted, I kinda obsess over my pick attack (I call it "josh middleton syndrome". lol), so it's super possible that it's something that only I and other like minded nut jobs would notice lol. and it's not as though that turns me off in the first place, I think "overprocessing" only is an issue when it's at the point where it masks sloppy playing. also though, I have admittedly never owned or played out of a tube amp for probably more than 6 minutes total in my life 😅 sooooooo, I dunno

either way though, cygnus renders all of that^ totally pointless. it is fantastic

I still worry over my picking with fluence and cygnus, but the I guess compressed or normalized feeling is far less apparent. Especially with clean amps, if I get excited and pick too hard they aren't barking too much.
My tele still screeches but it's a tele.

I tried to come at this comparison with new ears, and the only way that I can really compare is with the FM3 and Axe3. I saw other post of this "more organic" sounding, etc. At first I wasn't noticing, but then again I had been playing so many different amps that my ears were lying. I just made a preset on the Axe with a friedman HB model and then save it to my fm3. Dang, there is a noticeable improvement and my eyes have been opened. Now, with that said, is it a fair comparison being that FM3 doesn't have ultra res on the cab block? Honestly, in the past I have never heard a difference between fm3 and axe 3. Let me know some thoughts.

Just installed and had a play. On some amps the difference was noticeable but small (Plexi 50), on others it was massive (Friedman BE - wow). All in all, it seems to upgrade what were already amazing amp tones. Thanks, Cliff.

I like the firmware, don‘t get me wrong. But my experience was the complete opposite: maybe it‘s because of the amps i play the most, but the JCM 800 and Friedmann HBEs were harder for me to dial in compared to the past.... or maybe I just had a bad-guitar-day.

Note all you guys that the Friedman models have been replaced with the 2018 Friedman BE models, so any patches that you're comparing that were the original friedman model are now the 2018, so it's not just the new algorithms but a whole different amp model you're hearing too.

One can always backup and restore their current presets, and roll back the firmware. That being said, I have never seen this type of warning on a beta firmware release in the two years I have owned my AXE, therefore I am going to wait, and lurk to see what others are saying.

It's because this is a full model re-write. Big changes under the hood.

Has it been discussed when the full (non-Beta) version is likely to be released?

"When it's ready" is the most accurate answer we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom