Best six string multiscale production guitar?

stereotactic

Experienced
Hello everyone, I know there are plenty of discerning guitarists on this board, so I’m hoping to get some opinions on the above topic. I have already tried a Strandberg Boden Prog model and found it impossible to adapt to, due to the small short side scale and .5” difference in the two scales (25/25.5), and perhaps more problematic, having the neutral/90 degree fret at the nut. I don’t think there are any other multi scale production instruments with the neutral fret at the nut.

I know there are production multiscale 6 strings from Ibanez, Charvel, Jackson and Strandberg. Have I forgot any manufacturers? I’m specifying production instruments as I don’t want to spend an arm and a leg or wait three months for the instrument. Anybody with experience playing any of the above brands?

Last edited:
Maybe you're meaning something different, but a zero fret is always right after the nut (on guitars that have a zero fret).
Yes, sorry, to be clear, I have heard the center fret in a multiscale, meaning the fret which is the center of the “fan” and 90 degrees to the fretboard called the zero fret. I guess the term neutral fret is more common and accurate. I’ll change the original post.

Last edited:
I've heard good things about them. No, sorry, I haven't played one. You asked about fanned fret guitars and remembered looking into Ormsby guitars at one point. I have 3 guitar project/overhauls to complete before I'm in the market for new guitar.;)

I've heard good things about them. No, sorry, I haven't played one. You asked about fanned fret guitars and remembered looking into Ormsby guitars at one point. I have 3 guitar project/overhauls to complete before I'm in the market for new guitar.;)
I see, just checking if you had any direct knowledge. I like that the Ormsby has a set neck, I don’t love that it’s a 2 inch scale offset on a six string which seems a little extreme to me. The Guitars look nicely made except for the fact that the pickup pole pieces on the high strings are out of alignment with the strings...

Anyone try the ESP M-1001 multiscale 6 string?

willing to build a neck-through headless multi-scale but never played one.
what would be a good offset for the scales and what length would be good for what?
what's the preferred perpendicular fret location (7-10)?

In my limited experience, a 1” to maybe 1.5” max offset on a 6 string set up for standard tuning or drop D ought to be significant enough to get the benefits of the longer scale, say 25.5”- 26.5”. For a 7 string, I would think 25.5” - 27” might be good.

I think it makes sense to put the neutral fret wherever on the neck your fretting hand arm sits at 90 degrees to your shoulders...

Reactions: Vio
Back
Top Bottom