Anyone else want a new FX8 unit with latest Fractal mojo?

randombastage

Experienced
I have an FM3, which is great as a modeling floor unit, but it is also pretty good as an FX only unit in 4CM.

Which makes me wish for a new 'FX8' (or 10...or 12...) with the new FC brains/switching.... and an active load built in to feed a fractal cab block on a separate stereo output with a stereo path on the grid for post effects for that output. Build it with all the noise isolation Fractal can conjure up. Add amp switching, midi in out through, head phone out from the cab block.

Do you think there is a market for this? I'd like to be first on the wait list please. I'd pay a deposit, kickstarter etc.

I appreciate all of the Fractal products (I own every one of them now) but my favorite will always be the FX8 since it really helped me to understand scenes AND it is the one unit where you really get your amp or preamp tone without it being colored and no tone suck at all.

I have tried all of the Fractal products with the 4CM method and they work well but the FX8 is the only one where you really get that pure tone of your amp or preamp using the 4CM setup so a newer FX8 with the latest Fractal goodness would be something pretty cool as long as it kept the pure tone of the amp and preamp like the FX8 for me.

Last edited:
I don't get the impression that the FX8 was all that much of a success from a business standpoint. It is a great product and I am happy that I have one, but I don't expect Fractal to make another tube amp oriented FX only unit again.

Most tube purists probably want a traditional pedal board and most players interested in the advantages of going fully digital with their effects chains could be easily convinced to go all in on modeling. The fraction of the market interested in a professional quality digital FX unit optimized for use with tube amplifiers has got to be pretty small. It was the quality of build and great tones of the FX8 that pushed me over the edge to get the Axe-Fx III. Now I play the Axe-Fx 98% of the time while my tube gear sits collecting dust.

The FX8 is one of the most underrrated units in guitar world, but if someone gets what it is all about, there is no other choice in my opinion. I have several Engl tube amps and with the FX8, I get that sound (4 CM, 7 CM), that other units usually fuxX up. I got two FX8 Mark IIs and an Axe-Fx III. If there would be a new version of the FX8, I would be on the waiting, even there is still no waiting list. ;)

I wish they’d make a 1 space rack unit of the FX8 but that’s a pipe dream. I mounted my FX8 on a shelf In my rack. It just makes my rack bigger and heavier than it needs to be.
Sounds interesting! 👍 I also thought about doing that - do you have pictures about how the installation looks like? Thanks! ;)

The FX8 is one of the most underrrated units in guitar world, but if someone gets what it is all about, there is no other choice in my opinion. I have several Engl tube amps and with the FX8, I get that sound (4 CM, 7 CM), that other units usually fuxX up. I got two FX8 Mark IIs and an Axe-Fx III. If there would be a new version of the FX8, I would be on the waiting, even there is still no waiting list. ;)
Absolutely, me too.

Sounds interesting! 👍 I also thought about doing that - do you have pictures about how the installation looks like? Thanks! ;)
I just mounted it on a sliding shelf. That way I can keep all my cables short and run one midi cable to a controller to front of stage.

Attachments

• 56325B73-9346-4481-A7F8-350773CE6963.jpeg
    56325B73-9346-4481-A7F8-350773CE6963.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 36
+1

I CRAVE a floor unit with all the effects blocks from the Axe III. Dead quiet in operation with an amp, with midi switching and so on. I could also live with a single rack unit that could do the same thing, but much prefer if they did an FX8 Mk II.

A man can dream...

My only beef with the FX8, mine is a MKII, is the size. I love the sound. I run it 'pre' into my Carr Mercury V. My effects choices are very simple (Compression, Classic vibe patch in the Phaser block, Pitch (for a bit of detune), Micro Boost, FET Pre, delay & reverb. Everything in parallel except the compression & the boosts. So far at least, it's my holy grail tone.

If Fractal developed a significantly smaller FX only unit I'd be all over it.

Back
Top Bottom