Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 4 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m getting the “Factory Cabs Not Installed” error when I boot up. It didn’t happen the first couple times with Cygnus, but it’s happening now. I don’t use Factory Cabs, and everything seems to be installed. Not sure why the error is popping up.

to enjoy it "to the fullest", you should reset the amp, as that resets all parameters to the new defaults.

if you don't reset, typically any advanced parameters you have changed will stay at the old settings, and the underlying effect of those changes won't be default - since they are changed.

generally i don't need to update my amp blocks for any firmware updates. i just install the update and see what it sounds like. if it sounds good, i'm done. if it needs adjustment, i adjust. it's usually things like Level or Low and High end.

any firmware update that has amp updates will make changes to the amp block regardless if you reset or not. if it sounds good as is, then just play.

but to answer the question, to get the full default settings of the new firmware, you would reset the amp channel to get the full defaults set. but that's a recommendation and a choice to be made. i think majority of users could just play their presets as is after loading, and maybe have to adjust level and some basic EQ. the upgrades from the new modeling will be there either way.
Thanks! As any advanced parameters that I have adjusted, have been for a reason so I should not want them to be set back to defaults.

I was worried there could be some hidden parameters that won't be set to best support the new modeling without a reset.

What I’m hearing is less digital high-freq “fizziness” overall (almost like a decrease in HF aliasing, tho I doubt that’s it) that comes across as less highs on many of the amps/presets depending on how much T I’d dialed on to begin with. Personally, I love it once I get used to it — less grating on my Golden Ears, probably lower long-term “fatigue factor” as well — which may be part of why the Fractal Rabbit Hole just got harder to climb out of. Easy weight-loss program, although I can always eat meals later... 😁

I tested with my Mesa Simul Class + Cab. The dynamics are impressive. Some amps are darker and have less gain. When I put the Supply Sag around 0.50 or less, the highs seem to balance better. The Band-Commander has a short decay when I play a rhythm, well compressed. It seems to improve when I turn off Grid Clipping. Anyway it's a big update! Thank you Cliff for your work and effort in keeping us updated.

What I’m hearing is less digital high-freq “fizziness” overall (almost like a decrease in HF aliasing, tho I doubt that’s it) that comes across as less highs on many of the amps/presets depending on how much T I’d dialed on to begin with. Personally, I love it once I get used to it — less grating on my Golden Ears, probably lower long-term “fatigue factor” as well — which may be part of why the Fractal Rabbit Hole just got harder to climb out of. Easy weight-loss program, although I can always eat meals later... 😁
I was able to get a satisfactory sound using headphones without any post EQing like I normally do to get rid of the high-freq fizz you mention. I lost 4 hours today playing a boosted 50w 5153 blue.

The Band-Commander has a short decay when I play a rhythm, well compressed. It seems to improve when I turn off Grid Clipping.

Since Cathode Follower compression is 0 (=off IIRC) for that model I don't see how grid clipping makes any dfifference.

Hands starting to cramp-up, enough for today:)

When 15.01 came out, with the richness in depth of the tones, I thought there is no way Fractal could make it any better than that. Figured that only maintenance would be needed from here on out. And then they come out with this thing that is way beyond I could ever even have imagined - the depth is still there, but now there is this otherworldliness that envelopes you as you play, and creates a sense, a mood, the notes you play are graced by the highest level of professionalism through this product.

Great work guys and gals!!!!!

Yes, this now starts the process for a LiveGold Cygnus update for later this spring hopefully -- gonna take "many many many" weeks though.

The math so far about 6 hours in: 7 presets done (four amp scenes each, so 28 separate sounds), so "just 300 presets X 4 scenes more to go" (as Cliff completes each model)! Hahahaha.... :p It will go faster as I grasp what needs to be done with repetition.

I'm tagging each preset with a "-c" at end of name when done to indicate Cygnus firmware version for the eventual update.

Because I usually tweak the Saturation drive values, add a little output compression for cleans, the Input EQ cut, and also (in about quarter of LiveGold presets) I change the Speaker Impedance Curve to something else or play with the values, the amp reset changes those to default, so it takes time to re-enter these manually after an amp block reset (even with the firmware 15 settings in my second Axe-Fx III on screen as a rough guide).

Finding I have to re-do levels, move the drive/gain a little bit and tweak some tone controls here and there from the prior firmware 15 setting for an amp - but it sounds freakin' glorious in terms of end results -- so far, every updated Plexi/Marshall style amp sounds even better than they did in firmware 15, and more realistic to a "real amp in the room" sound" just have others have reported. Amazing breakthrough.

I'll offer to send Cliff my Bludotone Ojai head again if he thinks he needs it for Cygnus as well.
Hang in there, bud. We'll be patient. Hope you did ok with the weather there.

38 years after my buddy and I each bough our Boogie Mark IIC combos, we still toss out Mesa's old slogan for them, "Light Weight and Durable". These certainly weren't the behemoths of some of the previously mentioned amps, but I don't think I'd ever categorize the IIC combo as Light Weight. Durable.... yeah they got that one in spades!
My Mark I is one super heavy little beast, but on the right day it was always worth the drag.

With all these superb updates, why is it that amps may or may not need reset? Why can't the update process itself update all the amps automatically? Or, have an option to have it done in Axe Edit. Am I missing something?

Since Cathode Follower compression is 0 (=off IIRC) for that model I don't see how grid clipping makes any dfifference.

You right! Thanks!
I tested it directly through the phone's output and noticed the same characteristic in general. I believe there must be something wrong. I will reinstall again.

The angle severe sounds broken on my stuff, it sounded great before now it sounds like its missing something and clip s really hard

With all these superb updates, why is it that amps may or may not need reset? Why can't the update process itself update all the amps automatically? Or, have an option to have it done in Axe Edit. Am I missing something?
The amp models are automatically updated upon preset load. However if you've adjusted advanced parameters like Dynamics, Speaker Compression, Speaker Impedance, etc. those parameters are not updated. A soft reset of the amp will reset those parameters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom