Poll - What cabs do you want?

v4cab-4.jpg

An Ampeg V4 with some vintage greenbacks loaded into it.

Have you ever considered an old Peavey cab with Celestion G12K-85 speakers?
Back in the late 80's or early 90's I tried every 4x12 cab (about 8-10 cabs) in the guitar store and the Peavey sounded way better to my ear than any Marshall, Ampeg, Randall, etc).

Last edited:
Back in the late 80's or early 90's I tried every 4x12 cab (about 8-10 cabs) in the guitar store and the Peavey sounded way better to my ear than any Marshall, Ampeg, Randall, etc).
I haven’t thought about that cab, but it might be worth checking out down the road. Thanks for the suggestion!

More stock IR mixes of the common flavours (ie bright/dark (57/122)).
That’s doable. I try not to have TOO many mixes to keep from option overload, but there’s always room for another 57-121 mix in the pack. :)

I’d still like to see a good 15” bass speaker. Also, a good IR shot of whatever 15” speaker that SRV used :)

That's the Butcher Series cab, right? I bought 2 of those used for $200 each back in the day...
I haven’t thought about that cab, but it might be worth checking out down the road. Thanks for the suggestion!
I have a straight front version sitting in my garage right now... Probably been 10 years since it was used. As far as I know it's fully functional.

That's the Butcher Series cab, right? I bought 2 of those used for $200 each back in the day...

I have a straight front version sitting in my garage right now... Probably been 10 years since it was used. As far as I know it's fully functional.
Yep. My full stack is still in my room as I can't part with those cabs even though I only use my Atomic CLR's anymore. I did plug in my rockmaster preamp and classic poweramp before I sold them last month though...it was Freakin' awesome feeling my pants flap again :) The angled cab still has the 85's and the bottom is 1/2 EVML and 1/2 C90 from an old Mesa Cab I used to have. I think they are the most seriously underrated cabs due to peoples misguided avoidance of all things Peavey.

What speakers have you tried in it so far and wants your top picks at the moment , just curious
So far...
Mesa V30
Mesa Fillmore
Celestion Redback
Celestion M65 Creamback
Hesu Demon
Fane M65
Fane F90
WGS Retro 30
Celestion Wolverine
Celestion G12-65 Reissue
EVM-12L Classic
EVM-12L Black Label
Celestion Alnico Cream
Eminence P-50-E
Marshall Vintage

I have more speakers coming today as well as a couple on order that should arrive in a few weeks. I’m also going to try some of these in another YORK 2x12 prototype and see which cab sounds better.

I hear potential in most of those speakers aside from three or four of them, but those may just need a different speaker pairing to make them come alive. I’m finishing up an EVH 5150 III cab at the moment, and it sounds incredible!

So far...
Mesa V30
Mesa Fillmore
Celestion Redback
Celestion M65 Creamback
Hesu Demon
Fane M65
Fane F90
WGS Retro 30
Celestion Wolverine
Celestion G12-65 Reissue
EVM-12L Classic
EVM-12L Black Label
Celestion Alnico Cream
Eminence P-50-E
Marshall Vintage

I have more speakers coming today as well as a couple on order that should arrive in a few weeks. I’m also going to try some of these in another YORK 2x12 prototype and see which cab sounds better.

I hear potential in most of those speakers aside from three or four of them, but those may just need a different speaker pairing to make them come alive. I’m finishing up an EVH 5150 III cab at the moment, and it sounds incredible!
Hi Justin ,
You won t be surprised....
EVM-12L Pleeeeease ;) ;)
hope you ll release a pack soon....

Hi people, among the hi gain cabs I find that the Soldano 4X12 are among the least taken into consideration.
Talkin' of speakers, instead, I think It would be interesting to have some more Irs captured from Jensen P12R/Q/N or Eminence of the Patriot or Redcoat series.

Hi people, among the hi gain cabs I find that the Soldano 4X12 are among the least taken into consideration.
Talkin' of speakers, instead, I think It would be interesting to have some more Irs captured from Jensen P12R/Q/N or Eminence of the Patriot or Redcoat series.
I’ve got a Soldano 4x12 here at the studio. It’s on my list of cabs to capture at some point. I tried the Creamback M65 and UK V30 in an X pattern in it and thought it sounded great! I’ll look into more Jensen stuff in the future as well. I have a Jensen Tornado on the way that I think will be really cool.

Have you tried the ENGL XXL cab? Its bigger and HEAVIER than the MESA OS.
Those modern Chinese v30 would be crap but maybe with some old UK made v30 it could be a monster.

Back
Top Bottom