Can anyone recommend an Android Tablet to run FracPad?

I have been looking for an android tablet to run FracPad but I didn't want to spend much on the device.

However, I want the android tablet to be reliable for using the FracPad (I will not need to use it for anything else).

The problem it seems with the android tablets is that many of them seem to have issues pretty quickly based upon all of the reviews that I have read plus the one I had purchased for my wife had problems within the second year (I thought that I might be able to use it but it doesn't even allow a connection to the internet (the WiFi seems to be fine on it)).

Any recommendations for a cheap reliable one?

It needs to be able to handle at least the install of FracPad the one time :)

I had considered purchasing a used iPad Air 2 (if I could find one around $120) since it should continue to work after a few years of having it but I am hoping for an android tablet for under $100 since it would only be used for FracPad :)

1. Make sure it has OTG support for the USB port - so you can run FracPad with a simple OTG cable connected to a USB cable
2. Think about how large a screen you'll want - bigger is better, especially with knobs & numbers

On that topic, there are a number of usefull apps like Tab viewers and even just pdf viewers of Song Charts for which a bigger screen will be better. Maybe autodim, blue light eye protection, etc

Whatever you choose, let us know here.

I have been looking for an android tablet to run FracPad but I didn't want to spend much on the device.

However, I want the android tablet to be reliable for using the FracPad (I will not need to use it for anything else).

The problem it seems with the android tablets is that many of them seem to have issues pretty quickly based upon all of the reviews that I have read plus the one I had purchased for my wife had problems within the second year (I thought that I might be able to use it but it doesn't even allow a connection to the internet (the WiFi seems to be fine on it)).

Any recommendations for a cheap reliable one?

It needs to be able to handle at least the install of FracPad the one time :)

I had considered purchasing a used iPad Air 2 (if I could find one around $120) since it should continue to work after a few years of having it but I am hoping for an android tablet for under $100 since it would only be used for FracPad :)

If you are not scared of a command line/terminal, get a Amazon FireHD tablet w/ ads, root it, and install a base android OS (like lineage or aosp) and you have yourself a fully capable $100 tablet and you get to fuck over Amazon at the same time. To quote the amazing Ricky LaFleur, you get to get two birds stoned at once.

Edit: FireHD 8 is on sale for $65, FireHD 10 on sale for $95 today.

Last edited:
1. Make sure it has OTG support for the USB port - so you can run FracPad with a simple OTG cable connected to a USB cable
2. Think about how large a screen you'll want - bigger is better, especially with knobs & numbers

On that topic, there are a number of usefull apps like Tab viewers and even just pdf viewers of Song Charts for which a bigger screen will be better. Maybe autodim, blue light eye protection, etc

Whatever you choose, let us know here.
Good to know about checking for the OTG support, and thanks.

I think that I need it to be a 10" screen so I am looking into @negativefx suggestion about the Amazon Fire HD 10 since I want to see the knobs and numbers as large as possible :)

If you are not scared of a command line/terminal, get a Amazon FireHD tablet w/ ads, root it, and install a base android OS (like lineage or aosp) and you have yourself a fully capable $100 tablet and you get to fuck over Amazon at the same time. To quote the amazing Ricky LaFleur, you get to get two birds stoned at once.

The Amazon Fire HD 10 seems to be a pretty decent price and it would cost about $15-$20 for the removal of the ads if I find they are too annoying or rooting too daunting (I am reading up on rooting right now and I am sure there is probably a good number of videos out there with walk-throughs these days).

I had started looking at "used" iPad Air 2's but the minimal price it might be with everything needed is going to be over $280, and a "new" Amazon Fire HD 10 with everything needed will probably hit around $160, so thanks for the suggestion :)

Hey, I'm looking at getting a tablet to run FracPad as well....

Was wondering: is rooting the FireHD (and installing a different OS) just to remove the ads? Or is the new OS needed to run FracPad?

Was wondering: is rooting the FireHD (and installing a different OS) just to remove the ads? Or is the new OS needed to run FracPad?
Two reasons: remove ads, and to improve the performance. Amazon layers a ton of crap on top of the regular android OS that realllly slows it down if you're doing anything other than consuming Amazon content (music, movies, etc.) It's also possible that FracPad won't run on the Amazon OS that comes installed on the tablet. (I cannot confirm this however!!!).

I bought an older version of the FireHD 10 when it was on sale and it was an atrocious and barely usable device. I rooted it and put LineageOS on it and now it runs pretty good for a ~$80 tablet. I mainly use it for tabletop gaming purposes with friends (score boards, dice rolls, etc.) but I think it would do just fine with FracPad. It appears that the FireHD 10 supports OTG as well but I'm not sure to what extent.

Worst case is you root it, FracPad experience isn't ideal, you put the Amazon OS back on it, and promptly return it.

Two reasons: remove ads, and to improve the performance. Amazon layers a ton of crap on top of the regular android OS that realllly slows it down if you're doing anything other than consuming Amazon content (music, movies, etc.) It's also possible that FracPad won't run on the Amazon OS that comes installed on the tablet. (I cannot confirm this however!!!).

I bought an older version of the FireHD 10 when it was on sale and it was an atrocious and barely usable device. I rooted it and put LineageOS on it and now it runs pretty good for a ~$80 tablet. I mainly use it for tabletop gaming purposes with friends (score boards, dice rolls, etc.) but I think it would do just fine with FracPad. It appears that the FireHD 10 supports OTG as well but I'm not sure to what extent.

Worst case is you root it, FracPad experience isn't ideal, you put the Amazon OS back on it, and promptly return it.
Cool thanks for the data.

I looked for instructions how to root one. I only found something that said it was a temporary root...in that every time you booted/rebooted the device you'd have to reroot it as well. Is there a way around that? Can you point to a method that would work properly/permanently?

Also, what is OTG and what would it's advantage/usage be?

Thanks again, really appreciate your help🤘🏻🎸

Last edited:
I can't say enough bad stuff about Kindle Fire tablets. "Fire OS" is essentially an out-of-date version of android. They purposely neuter it to prevent you from using it like a "normal" tablet. (Yes, there are workarounds - but that's like saying "you can make a headrush sound like a fractal". You can, maybe, but what's the trade-off, how long will it take you, and what won't actually work?)

If you want an inexpensive Android tablet that's running a much more current version of Android, Lenovo has several options that are priced well and essentially run stock Android. I don't actually have a Fractal (yet) because I'm a late-comer to their greatness and still sitting on the waitlist for an FM9. That being said, if FracPad runs on a Fire, it will almost certainly run on any of the Lenovo Android tablets. Most of them are USB-C, so you'd probably need an adapter to connect a cable.

I have a Lenovo Yoga tablet. It's fantastic for everything I use it for, and it has a kickstand that doubles as a wall hanger that allows you to prop it up like a monitor. It folds flat against the back when you're not using it, and it adjusts to almost any angle you'd want to use. I often watch Netflix on it while I'm cooking. With a full charge, I've streamed Netflix for over 4 hours straight with battery charge to spare.

If you're willing to wait for a sale and watch the prices on Lenovo.com, you'll find the Yoga Tab dropping under 170.00 fairly regularly.
They also have several other options that vary by price, but I'm certain they're all better options than a Kindle.

I've been real happy with my Samsung Galaxy Tab A7. I use it to run the Mixing Station Pro app for our Behringer XR-18 mixer and it was worked flawlessly. I actually bought two just to have an extra as a backup, but have never needed it.

Last edited:
OTG = On The Go. It's an adapter that let's you plug regular USB A cables in and use things like cameras, keyboards, mice, flash drives, audio devices, etc.

I've had a couple of Samsung Galaxy Tabs as well and they've been solid.

Back
Top Bottom