You Guys/Gals Are in for Another Treat

And if you think about it, there are also a few english words that probably shares the same latin origin, for example "escalation" and "scale".
'Escalator' is probably the closest in visual representation of 'staggered'. I kind-of picked up the meaning through that resemblence and context, but now have the root word in Spanish.

My parents are from Germany, but met and married in the USA. My grandparents on my mom's side emigrated with my mom and aunt when my mom was 15, in 1953. My mom already had 6 years of "Oxford English" in school, but my grandparents didn't speak any English, but picked it up pretty well by the time I was born 10 years later. However, if you didn't know both German and English, you might not understand what they were talking about in casual conversation! Is that called Germ-glish? LOL!

Fractal competitors creep around here for hints of intellectual property and Cliff's big giveaway is "rubbing 2 rocks together" LOL 👍
I was with my brother one time and noticed he was wearing one dark blue and one black dress sock. I pointed it out and his response was, “ that’s okay, I go by thickness. I got another pair just like this one, at home.”

@FractalAudio will there be a color mismatch / thickness mismatch parameter for the sock mode? Asking for my non-musical, color blind big brother.

Happens with many multi-lingual popoli.

My ex fiancée's mom would mingle Viennese German and English fairly often.

Grammar habits from a native language will often inject themselves as well.

Want to sound like Russian speaking English not quite skillfully? Drop articles. Immediately you have heavy Pottsylvania accent. Russian, and many related Slavic languages, don't have articles.

Goes the other way, too sometimes. Have been dropping subject pronouns frequently since studying Italian 9 years ago.

My staff is made up of a couple Cuban dudes and a Haitian guy, they’ve all been living in America for years and over time, especially the Haitian guy, their language became an amalgamation of English, Spanish and Creole. I’m barely fluent in Spanish and less-so in Creole. Thankfully, we all laugh when the gringo (me) can’t figure out what the hell they’re saying and it adds some comic relief to a very stressful job!

One of my most amusing moments at work was hearing a German and a Mexican trying to work on a project together for the first time (together as well as individually) trying to explain in very broken and heavily accented English how they wanted to accomplish their mutual goal. I assume it was eventually completed but, there was a LOT of things getting lost in translation while I was on the project.

Omg, that reminds me. My old drummer was born and raised in Southern Cal, and talked 100% like most SoCal guys talk, but when he would get really drunk he came out with a really exaggerated Boston accent. You almost couldn't understand him when it got that way.

Omg, that reminds me. My old drummer was born and raised in Southern Cal, and talked 100% like most SoCal guys talk, but when he would get really drunk he came out with a really exaggerated Boston accent. You almost couldn't understand him when it got that way.

Accents are weird. I was born and raised in Oregon but everyone I meet somehow thinks I'm from Texas. I don't know why.

Back
Top Bottom