MFC set up help

Ant1684

Hi all, thanks for letting me post. I just got a used MFC 101 and it works great. I’m still racking my brain on how I can set it up so that :

presents are on 1-5

IA switches are 6-17

sounds easy enough but even when I assigned “chorus” to IA 6, it wouldn’t come on.

one of my questions is, do I really have to keep all my effects on bypass in each present in order to turn them on and off in each present ?

I want to for example have a distortion present set up on 1. While playing that present I might want to add some chorus in there. I want to on the fly hit the corresponding # I already assigned it to and have it turn on and off by my foot. Any step by step help would be so appreciated!

thank you !

What you described is pretty much the default behavior if my memory is correct. It's been a few years since I had the Axe Fx II and MFC.

The IA switch assignments are global. If you want to be able to turn Chorus on/off, you need to have the Chorus block in the preset...

Also, make sure when you assign a switch that it is the right "instance" - if you use Chorus 1 then you need the function for Chorus 1, not Chorus 2.

Yes, each block you have assigned to an IA switch needs to be present in the preset in order to be accessible by the IA switch.

Thanks guys I appreciate the timely responses! Maybe it’s just me but I don’t care for the fact that I have to add a bunch of effects to each of my present to be able to use them as IAs later. Is there another pedal board that will do what I’m describing or am I just SOL?

Thanks guys I appreciate the timely responses! Maybe it’s just me but I don’t care for the fact that I have to add a bunch of effects to each of my present to be able to use them as IAs later. Is there another pedal board that will do what I’m describing or am I just SOL?
How would the Axe know what position the effect was supposed to be, what settings were to be used, etc. if the effect wasn't already in the preset?

That is the way it works.

It has nothing to do with the MFC and everything to do with the Axe Fx.

You can't use a block that's not in your preset. You have to place it there.

How would it know where in the chain to add a specific effect?

And what of the CPU use was too high?

I'm not aware of any guitar effects unit that does something like that... And if it exists it is probably very limited

So I wouldn’t be able to step on a present I saved and then if I wanted to add another effect to that present I wouldn’t be able to just step on said effect to turn it on.

I would have to for each present I create include ALLLLL of the effects I set up as IAs in that present chain just incase I wanted to use one while I was in that present??

So I wouldn’t be able to step on a present I saved and then if I wanted to add another effect to that present I wouldn’t be able to just step on said effect to turn it on.

I would have to for each present I create include ALLLLL of the effects I set up as IAs in that present chain just incase I wanted to use one while I was in that present??
Yes. which is exactly how it is on every digital effects device I have used in the past 30+ years. An IA switch is simply an on & off switch. It can't turn anything on or off that is not there.

Last edited:
"preset" not "present" ;)

Yes - a preset must contain an effect block for that block to be used.

You don't have to have every block in the preset that have IA switches for... But in those cases the switch will have no effect (and the switch LED is off which indicates the effect is not in the current preset).

Back
Top Bottom