Axe-Fx Buzzing When Connecting To Amp

psguitar

Hello,

I'm trying to connect my Axe FX II Mark II in front of a Fender Deluxe Reverb just for effects. But I'm getting a lot of loud buzzing/static hum from the line out of the Axe. Any ideas? Do I need to mess with any settings?

Lots of buzzing:
Guitar -> Axe FX Input 1 L -> Axe Output 1 L -> Fender Deluxe Reverb

No buzzing:
Guitar -> Fender Deluxe Reverb

My preset on the Axe is just some effects (no amp/cab). I also tried going into an empty preset, and I get the same behavior. I've done all the basic troubleshooting and verified cables are good.

Please assist. Thanks!!

Humbuster cables are designed to prevent this...
Hmm ok I'd never heard of that. I just looked at the info page for the humbuster cable. Is there anything special about the cable vs other cables? Looking at it just seems like a TRS -> TS cable

Level-Problem, I think you have line out Level axe fx but you need guitar level for Fender deluxe input.

Hello,

I'm trying to connect my Axe FX II Mark II in front of a Fender Deluxe Reverb just for effects. But I'm getting a lot of loud buzzing/static hum from the line out of the Axe. Any ideas? Do I need to mess with any settings?

Lots of buzzing:
Guitar -> Axe FX Input 1 L -> Axe Output 1 L -> Fender Deluxe Reverb

No buzzing:
Guitar -> Fender Deluxe Reverb

My preset on the Axe is just some effects (no amp/cab). I also tried going into an empty preset, and I get the same behavior. I've done all the basic troubleshooting and verified cables are good.

Please assist. Thanks!!
You have a ground loop. Axefx offer humbuster to deal with it. Or you can check expensive line isolator, useful if you add other gears.

Level-Problem, I think you have line out Level axe fx but you need guitar level for Fender deluxe input.
Thank you. Does the Axe have a setting to change output from line to instrument level? I've been looking but can't find anything

Hmm ok I'd never heard of that. I just looked at the info page for the humbuster cable. Is there anything special about the cable vs other cables? Looking at it just seems like a TRS -> TS cable
There are several ways to make a TRS->TS cable. Most of them that I've looked at are NOT HumBuster cables. For example, they'll use 2-conductor cable or short the extra connector at both ends.

1610380855212.png

Thank you. Does the Axe have a setting to change output from line to instrument level? I've been looking but can't find anything
Start with axefx level at zero. Turn slowly up, until the perceived level is the same as pluggin directly guitar. Instrument level done! You can also check Global menu Output Level for Output 1 and 2 should be -10 dBv (instrumental). There no magic trick: it's only volume. If you have higher level, you should hear LESS hum and buzz. Unless you had blasting level. In my experience you have no level issue, but ground loop.

Start with axefx level at zero. Turn slowly up, until the perceived level is the same as pluggin directly guitar. Instrument level done! You can also check Global menu Output Level for Output 1 and 2 should be -10 dBv (instrumental). There no magic trick: it's only volume. If you have higher level, you should hear LESS hum and buzz. Unless you had blasting level. In my experience you have no level issue, but ground loop.
Ah that makes sense. Thanks I will try that too.

Just as a note, Out 2 is Unity Gain. Meaning if you have IN>FX SEND and have Out 2 knob at max, then your signal should be equal to your input.
That should help track down where the issue is from.
Also OUT 2 is designed with Humbuster technology so you should use that type of cable to handle noise.

Just an update, no luck after messing with all the levels and inputs. I bought a humbuster cable, will update this thread once I receive it.

Just an update, no luck after messing with all the levels and inputs. I bought a humbuster cable, will update this thread once I receive it.
In the meantime, a quick fix that "should" handle is to make sure your amplifier and the Axe FX are plugged into the same outlet. This usually handles the majority of grounding issues.

Back
Top Bottom