Shout out to RJM

greiswig

Power User
It occurred to me that my RJM Mastermind GT 16 has now been with me a long time. Through three different rounds of Fractal Audio gear, in fact. Through it all, that thing has performed flawlessly, has undergone a lot of free firmware changes that have allowed it to keep up with the FAS firmwares, and has generally been the unsung hero of my live rig.

I've tried a few others. To me, the RJM wins in terms of flexibility and ease of use. Not affiliated, just feeling thankful.

If it didn't cost so much, I might have a GT22. Maybe.

I'm sure I'd love its capabilities, but if I had to manually program everything the FC12 does either out of the box or through its UI, but do it in midi sysex, no thanks.

How's it's usability from that angle, replacing an FC12, without having manuals for the Axe and the RJM permanently parked on my lap?

I would love to get a GT16 just for the better display options. Not a fan of needing two MIDI cables and phantom powering . Went through that stuff with my Axess Electronics FX-1 and the Fractal MFC . Too many connections that can go wrong , especially on a dark stage. Not happy with the FC12's mini displays but for now it is the best option as far as simplicity and reliability.

Love my GT22! With mine I started off simple and have now polished my on stage workflow to the perfect degree with it. I connect mine using that 6 pin XLR which takes care of MIDI (both ways) and power, so I just have a single cable running out from my AxeFX3 to my GT22.

I'm sure I'd love its capabilities, but if I had to manually program everything the FC12 does either out of the box or through its UI, but do it in midi sysex, no thanks.

How's it's usability from that angle, replacing an FC12, without having manuals for the Axe and the RJM permanently parked on my lap?

RJM have a software editor called MMGTEditor which I do100% of my GT22 config in. I'm not a MIDI expert, I have basic understanding and find the config of the GT22 really easy because of this software. One useful thing is you can edit your config in an offline file if your GT22 is nowhere within reach, then you can upload your edit once you can connect to your RJM device. My GT22 stays on the floor on one side of the room, and I have it connected to my Mac with USB for when I have a great idea that I want to program into it!

I do however view with envy the FC controllers that use control switches! Hopefully one day FAS will hook us up with that but I know their list is long!

I would love to get a GT16 just for the better display options. Not a fan of needing two MIDI cables and phantom powering . Went through that stuff with my Axess Electronics FX-1 and the Fractal MFC . Too many connections that can go wrong , especially on a dark stage. Not happy with the FC12's mini displays but for now it is the best option as far as simplicity and reliability.

I'm using a very sturdy single cable for data and power. 6-pin XLR at RJM side (only supported by the GT/22), MIDI In and Out and power at Axe-Fx side.

I think the RJM model is similar to the Fractal model: it is VERY flexible. That comes at a price in that it can be a little intimidating to set up perfectly. But there's a good support community, and you can make it as simple or as complex as you need for your situation. I tend to re-use the same layout for every preset so I have familiar terrain to dance around on during gigs. But you could do whatever you want with it, just like every AxeFX preset could be different.

Does it know about Fractal commands, so you can tell it, "turn on delay 1", or do you have to look up the Axe midi command for that, then program it in hex in the RJM?

Does it know about Fractal commands, so you can tell it, "turn on delay 1", or do you have to look up the Axe midi command for that, then program it in hex in the RJM?

They've done a pretty good job mapping major manufacturer's CC messages correctly, including Fractal. Is it totally plug-and-play? No. Is it enough to get you started? Yes. Can you do pretty much anything fairly easily using the desktop software? Yes. Certainly no hexes are needed or warranted.

Love my GT22! With mine I started off simple and have now polished my on stage workflow to the perfect degree with it. I connect mine using that 6 pin XLR which takes care of MIDI (both ways) and power, so I just have a single cable running out from my AxeFX3 to my GT22.

RJM have a software editor called MMGTEditor which I do100% of my GT22 config in. I'm not a MIDI expert, I have basic understanding and find the config of the GT22 really easy because of this software. One useful thing is you can edit your config in an offline file if your GT22 is nowhere within reach, then you can upload your edit once you can connect to your RJM device. My GT22 stays on the floor on one side of the room, and I have it connected to my Mac with USB for when I have a great idea that I want to program into it!

I do however view with envy the FC controllers that use control switches! Hopefully one day FAS will hook us up with that but I know their list is long!
that offline editing capability would be great. I'm very envious of the big screens of the GT22. I'm always fighting with myself to not blow up my current board to switch over. But, I didn't realize the RJMs don't do control switches! That's good to know, cause I use those quite a bit!

But, I didn't realize the RJMs don't do control switches! That's good to know, cause I use those quite a bit!

This is not a limitation of RJM only, this applies to any external controller that is not a Fractal FC controller (i.e. FC6/12). There is a wish for Fractal to make some changes for us RJM (and other) users however the wishlist is long so we don't know if it is possible or Fractal will be able to implement it.

I've been using an MMGT10 as my controller for both the AxeFX II and AxeFX III. It is, without question, the best MIDI controller I have ever used - and I've been using various MIDI controllers for decades. The MasterMind GT series are very easy to program for the AxeFX, and the cc's are already mapped for you in the editor. Mine connects to the AxeFX III with a single 7-pin MIDI cable, which is bidirectional and also provides power.
Also, I've gotten good at offline editing, using just the pedal to set up new patches and set lists. The GUI makes it easier, but you can do all of that from the unit itself.
I have two expression pedals connected to my MMGT10, and I have also used external control switches. Although you should read the manual for the MasterMind pedals (so you understand its immense capabilities), the editor makes it pretty easy to get things set up.There is a learning curve, mostly because you will come to realize there are some powerful ways to simplify and customize the layout. It's worth it.
One more thing; yes, the big board (MMGT22) is awesome. My MMGT10 handles everything I need, and my shows are pretty complex; most of my patches have 5+ scenes, and I have unique patches for every song in the set list. The page functions, and multi-press functions, give you a big range of control with a small board. Honestly, I wouldn't trade mine for a bigger one.

Nope, I don't work for RJM. And I paid full price for my board like anybody. I just happen to dig their products and awesome customer support.

I've been using an MMGT10 as my controller for both the AxeFX II and AxeFX III. It is, without question, the best MIDI controller I have ever used - and I've been using various MIDI controllers for decades. The MasterMind GT series are very easy to program for the AxeFX, and the cc's are already mapped for you in the editor. Mine connects to the AxeFX III with a single 7-pin MIDI cable, which is bidirectional and also provides power.
Also, I've gotten good at offline editing, using just the pedal to set up new patches and set lists. The GUI makes it easier, but you can do all of that from the unit itself.
I have two expression pedals connected to my MMGT10, and I have also used external control switches. Although you should read the manual for the MasterMind pedals (so you understand its immense capabilities), the editor makes it pretty easy to get things set up.There is a learning curve, mostly because you will come to realize there are some powerful ways to simplify and customize the layout. It's worth it.
One more thing; yes, the big board (MMGT22) is awesome. My MMGT10 handles everything I need, and my shows are pretty complex; most of my patches have 5+ scenes, and I have unique patches for every song in the set list. The page functions, and multi-press functions, give you a big range of control with a small board. Honestly, I wouldn't trade mine for a bigger one.

Nope, I don't work for RJM. And I paid full price for my board like anybody. I just happen to dig their products and awesome customer support.
I have a MMGT22 with two Mission Engineering expression pedals connected, and I can't get the pedals to work properly. I can never get the full range of the effects the pedal is controlling, they always stop at 9.84 or 9.92. Does anyone else have this problem, and found a definite fix for this?

I have a MMGT22 with two Mission Engineering expression pedals connected, and I can't get the pedals to work properly. I can never get the full range of the effects the pedal is controlling, they always stop at 9.84 or 9.92. Does anyone else have this problem, and found a definite fix for this?
You need to calibrate your expression pedals.

My GT22 has been acting funny for a couple of months and Ron still hasn't found a solution or acknowledged there's something wrong with it.
After a while, some commands stop working, or only work half.
I have a button for two-amp setups where I switch both amps' channels. Only one will change after a while, same for the cabs.
Or a button for Lead that turns on a couple of blocks and another off won't send all commands.
The first two presets, I have to set scene to none otherwise I can't switch scenes......
I always have to power cycle to have it functioning properly again.
At one point it just reset itself to factory settings.
I had to disconnect the USB-cable to stop this from happening.
This has been going on since April.
No solution yet.

I would see this with both my Mission pedals on mfc-101s also. Seems they are funky registering last 1% consistently, or at least that has been my experience with them.

When I calibrate these same Mission pedals on GTs can see this on the display also. Start with heal down, hit calibrate button, move to toe down and it will not completely fill the location bar on main display at first, the last row of pixels will be missing then it will usually fill in like a second later. I know nothing but it seems if that last row is included in calibration being able to hit full range is inconsistent at best.

So I do this with Mission pedals... witchcraft but maybe will work for you also. Start heal down, hit calibrate, then in one quick fluid motion move to toe down and immediately back to heal down (don't let it rest at toe down) & hit done. I'm very light on the toe down not to jam down as don't want that last line of pixels to light up.

My GT22 has been acting funny for a couple of months and Ron still hasn't found a solution or acknowledged there's something wrong with it.
After a while, some commands stop working, or only work half.
I have a button for two-amp setups where I switch both amps' channels. Only one will change after a while, same for the cabs.
Or a button for Lead that turns on a couple of blocks and another off won't send all commands.
The first two presets, I have to set scene to none otherwise I can't switch scenes......
I always have to power cycle to have it functioning properly again.
At one point it just reset itself to factory settings.
I had to disconnect the USB-cable to stop this from happening.
This has been going on since April.
No solution yet.
Based off your posts on both forums sounds like you're fighting a couple issues. If I was dealing with this I'd go the nuclear approach tbh and start from scratch to get a clean slate but that's me.
1) Review AxeFx configs on wiki
2) Swap out any midi cables with quality shielded midi cables & that usb cable (not a cheap one that comes with peripherals like printers).
3) Make sure anything that can chat midi is disconnected or shutdown like DAW, interfaces, whatever, besides AxeFx/GT/RJM Editor
4) Create a new clean config on GT, just open two copies of RJM editor at once. One loaded with backup of current config for reference, the other to enter your values as a new config
5) Once validated working as expected slowly add back any other midi stuff didn't have connected

If you want I can load your config and see it it happens with my GT/22 too.

Back
Top Bottom