FM3 Firmware Version 3.01

I use an expression pedal for global input volume. When I power on the FM3, it fails to recognize the expression pedal value until the pedal is moved. I routinely leave the pedal heel down (value=0 or volume off) when I power the unit down and when I turn FM3 on it is at full volume until I rock the expression pedal. It is a minor inconvenience, but an inconvenience none the less.

I use an expression pedal for global input volume. When I power on the FM3, it fails to recognize the expression pedal value until the pedal is moved. I routinely leave the pedal heel down (value=0 or volume off) when I power the unit down and when I turn FM3 on it is at full volume until I rock the expression pedal. It is a minor inconvenience, but an inconvenience none the less.
Mine works without issues. When I power up, there’s no volume. In fact, I get the tuner as that’s how I’ve configured it. Are you using one TRS to one of the pedal inputs?

Yes. One TRS cable between the pedal and the pedal 2 input.
In case it helps, here’s how I setup mine.

To use an expression pedal as a volume pedal in a way that doesn’t act like the guitar’s volume knob, you need to put it at the end of the chain.
  • Plug a TRS cable into the Output on an expression pedal (nothing can be in the input), plug the other end of the TRS cable into Pedal Input 1 on the FM3.
  • Insert a volume block in the chain (at the end, just before the Output block)
  • Edit the Vol block
  • Log 20A is OK for the taper
  • Scroll to the image of the volume knob and press C for the Modifier
  • Assign Pedal 1 (EXP/SW TIP) in the menu
  • The expression pedal will now act like a volume pedal

Mine is set up differently. I want it to act like a guitar volume knob. I use it as a global volume without the need for a Volume block.

From page 11 of the manual:

GLOBAL VOLUME SETUP
The FM3 allows global remote control of the volume at any input or output via a pedal or MIDI CC of your choice. To set up a pedal for global volume, follow the instructions below. Be careful that you don’t accidentally assign the same pedal to both Volume and an External Controller as described above!

First you’ll need to decide which global volume option you prefer:
Input volume affects gain/distortion and the behavior of level-dependent blocks like the compressor or gate.
Output volume does not affect gain or level-dependent blocks, but scales everything you hear including effect tails.

To set Global Volume:
1. From the Home page, open SETUP: MIDI/Remote: Other.
2. NAV to the entry for whichever volume you want to control: Input 1 or 2, or Output 1 or 2.
3. Turn the A or VALUE knob to assign a controller to your selected entry.
Select “PEDAL 1 (EXP/SW TIP)” for the onboard Pedal jack (or #2 if you are using that one)
4. Test and EXIT when finished.

@Sean D. I think this is a result of the way a few things work.

Any pedal plugged into the axe isn't read until it moves. But the way that affects things is different depending on what the default value is of the value it controls.

A direct Expression Pedal input defaults to 100% I believe. If mapped through an External the default is configurable. When used with a modifier there are some other things at play.

So my advice would be to not use your global volume from PEDAL 2 but from EXTERNAL 2, and then set EXTERNAL 2 to default to 0%, and set EXTERNAL 2 to map to PEDAL 2.

@Sean D. I think this is a result of the way a few things work.

Any pedal plugged into the axe isn't read until it moves. But the way that affects things is different depending on what the default value is of the value it controls.

A direct Expression Pedal input defaults to 100% I believe. If mapped through an External the default is configurable. When used with a modifier there are some other things at play.

So my advice would be to not use your global volume from PEDAL 2 but from EXTERNAL 2, and then set EXTERNAL 2 to default to 0%, and set EXTERNAL 2 to map to PEDAL 2.
Thanks for the input. I will check it out. On the AX8 and on FW 1.5 (I skipped 1.6 and was on 2.0 so briefly, like a day or two I didn't notice) the global volume would be off on power up if the expression pedal was in the heel down position. On FW 3.0 and 3.1 it does not behave that way.

If that is by design, then so be it, I can live with that. If that is not the intended design, then I wanted to let the Fractal Team know what I was experiencing, as the global volume appears to me to be an under used feature, especially since most users utilize the pedal 2 jack for external switches.

Mine is set up differently. I want it to act like a guitar volume knob. I use it as a global volume without the need for a Volume block.
Could you not just input your guitar signal into the volume pedal and then volume pedal into input 1 on the FM3?

Could you not just input your guitar signal into the volume pedal and then volume pedal into input 1 on the FM3?
It's an expression pedal, not a volume pedal. So I cannot. I used to use an Ernie Ball VP Jr. exactly this way, but I like the sound of the global volume control better than using the VP Jr. into the input.

I am new to FM3/Fractal so trying to learn as much as possible and a bit confused by the Cathode Compressor post and comments.
I created presets across different firmwares, never paid any attention before to the cathode compressor feature. All my presets are showing 69.9 with the update to 3.01 - I am not sure if they were like this prior to the update.

Do I need to reset them to default? or leave them as is?

What exactly does the cathode compressor do? What the pros and cons of 69.9 and default?

Any help appreciated!

... the cathode compressor feature. All my presets are showing 69.9 with the update to 3.01 - I am not sure if they were like this prior to the update.

What exactly does the cathode compressor do? What the pros and cons of 69.9 and default?

Any help appreciated!

Welcome, try tweaking different values and listen to the result playing. The editable parameters are there to adjust the sound to our needs and feel!

Welcome, try tweaking different values and listen to the result playing. The editable parameters are there to adjust the sound to our needs and feel!
Thanks Smilzo. I tend to stick to the basics bass, treble, mids, presence etc but will do some tweaking with this compressor

Thanks Smilzo. I tend to stick to the basics bass, treble, mids, presence etc but will do some tweaking with this compressor
I suggest you to try transformar match, sag, and other parameters. They could turn a good sounding amp into your ideal amp! Knowledge is... tone! :D

I suggest you to try transformar match, sag, and other parameters. They could turn a good sounding amp into your ideal amp! Knowledge is... tone! :D
I never/rarely do this. Would rather be playing and practicing than tweaking unless it makes a huge difference.

I never/rarely do this. Would rather be playing and practicing than tweaking unless it makes a huge difference.
Me too. I use 1 patch and 3 scenes (clean crunch lead) for almost ALL the song I play. Because they are sound that FIT me, I don't care if it's an emulation of this or that... I know what I like in the high, in the low, in chords, how it should react to pick attack, the kind of compression/dinamic/reactivity...
So here it comes to what is "a huge difference". Every player/human paid attection to some aspect (the one we are educated to heard and elaborate!). For me trafo match make a HUGE difference. For other player maybe is a different parameter. I heard almost no difference in tube type, ie. If I want a creamier sound I will try trasfo, or tube bias, or NFBK. FM3 sound good, but you can make it feel even better. Do it once, and enjoy playing!

I am new to FM3/Fractal so trying to learn as much as possible and a bit confused by the Cathode Compressor post and comments.
I created presets across different firmwares, never paid any attention before to the cathode compressor feature. All my presets are showing 69.9 with the update to 3.01 - I am not sure if they were like this prior to the update.

Any help appreciated!

If you want to get back to the default value for these params that you normally don’t tweak, write down your basic amp settings (so you can get back to them), reset the channel, and then set your basic params.

Me too. I use 1 patch and 3 scenes (clean crunch lead) for almost ALL the song I play. Because they are sound that FIT me, I don't care if it's an emulation of this or that... I know what I like in the high, in the low, in chords, how it should react to pick attack, the kind of compression/dinamic/reactivity...
So here it comes to what is "a huge difference". Every player/human paid attection to some aspect (the one we are educated to heard and elaborate!). For me trafo match make a HUGE difference. For other player maybe is a different parameter. I heard almost no difference in tube type, ie. If I want a creamier sound I will try trasfo, or tube bias, or NFBK. FM3 sound good, but you can make it feel even better. Do it once, and enjoy playing!

Can you tell us which amp model you are using, where you are adjusting the Transformer match, negative feedback, tube bias please?
I think real world examples help us all learn.
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom