Tesla

P

plexi59

So I've finally got around to trying out a Tesla (Model Y). Basically Tesla is to cars what iPhone was to flip phones IMO. It makes some very deliberate decisions that no other car maker will be able to make for institutional reasons, much like the decision to remove the hardware keyboard in the iPhone. Even the UI quite obviously pays homage to the iPhone. It's just re-thought, through and through, and I like their thinking.

I bought a Model Y for my wife and my next car will probably be a Tesla as well. I drive a BMW 535 now, and it feels like a dilapidated horse carriage after driving a Tesla.

Musk said the other day that Tim Cook didn't take his call when he wanted to sell near-bankrupt Tesla to Apple during the Model 3 bring-up, then at 1/10th the current share price. This could end up much like Yahoo refusing to buy Google in 1998 (for $1M!), or Facebook refusing to hire the founders of WhatsApp.

Every Tesla owner I know complains about having to take the car to the garage so often and the cost of repairs.

We’ll see I guess. It’s not like my BMW is problem free. The inside door handle stopped working for example, so I use electronic lock button to open the doors. Estimate was $750. Fuck that, I’m gonna fix it myself, it’s probably just dried out lubricant - works fine when it’s warmer. Also Bluetooth doesn’t work properly with navigation in my phone when listening to audiobooks - it’s supposed to stop the book when it says directions, and it does, but there’s just silence - annoying AF and BMW won’t do anything about cars they’ve already sold. Luxury car in name only.

Great software. Shit hardware. :D

(The Apple comparison is kind of apt if you look at it that way)
Apple actually has the best hardware ever made in the history of our civilization when it comes to phones. Nobody else is even close to what they’ve been able to do. It’s their software I’m less enthusiastic about.

We’ll see I guess. It’s not like my BMW is problem free. The inside door handle stopped working for example, so I use electronic lock button to open the doors. Estimate was $750. Fuck that, I’m gonna fix it myself, it’s probably just dried out lubricant - works fine when it’s warmer. Also Bluetooth doesn’t work properly with navigation in my phone when listening to audiobooks - it’s supposed to stop the book when it says directions, and it does, but there’s just silence - annoying AF and BMW won’t do anything about cars they’ve already sold.
It's when you look the the problems:units-produced scale that Tesla really doesn't make the grade. All manufacturers have problems, yes. But BMW is near the top for that ratio. Tesla, not so much. They do better once a model has been in production for many years, but the stuff that's not out very long has all kinds of issues. They don't know how to run assembly lines very well

Honestly, given their quality it's super amusing Tesla manufactures in Fremont, CA. Which is notorious for some of the worst cars ever produced in all time. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fremont_Assembly

There's a great podcast on Fremont and how Toyota helped them in a joint venture: https://www.thisamericanlife.org/561/nummi-2015

Apple actually has the best hardware ever made in the history of our civilization when it comes to phones. Nobody else is even close to what they’ve been able to do. It’s their software I’m less enthusiastic about.
I was thinking more of their Intel iMacs and MacMinis when I wrote that.

One could argue the hardware for those was made by Intel, not Apple. That's not going to be the case starting in 2021.

After 23 years of Mac experience, I can say that is nowhere near true. Whether it's Motorola Power PC, IBM or Intel chips, the only issue I have had other than an occasional hard drive failure after years of use and one video card that needed to be replaced, again, after years of use. This includes home, my recording studio & work environment in graphic design.

After 23 years of Mac experience, I can say that is nowhere near true. Whether it's Motorola Power PC, IBM or Intel chips, the only issue I have had other than an occasional hard drive failure after years of use and one video card that needed to be replaced, again, after years of use. This includes home, my recording studio & work environment in graphic design.
Look, I'm all Apple and enjoy the experience, but their hardware lags state-of-the-art by a mile and then some. Is what it is.

They might have something with the M1. But for the entirety of their Intel existence their machine specs have always been underwhelming. On the CPU front and the GPU front.

Agreed. Car makers always do that crap. Just because it's electric doesn't mean it has to look like a damn spaceship. Just take the traditional looks that people already enjoy and power it with the new tech. Give me a car that looks like a 60's or 70's muscle car, but has the tech and safety of a modern electric. It would sell like hotcakes.

We’ll see I guess. It’s not like my BMW is problem free. The inside door handle stopped working for example, so I use electronic lock button to open the doors. Estimate was $750. Fuck that, I’m gonna fix it myself, it’s probably just dried out lubricant - works fine when it’s warmer. Also Bluetooth doesn’t work properly with navigation in my phone when listening to audiobooks - it’s supposed to stop the book when it says directions, and it does, but there’s just silence - annoying AF and BMW won’t do anything about cars they’ve already sold. Luxury car in name only.

Not my experience with BMW.

Buddy of mine came by recently with his new Tesla. I don't like the look of them at all, so I never really looked into them at all.
He made me take it for a drive....holy crap that car is fast and handles awesome. I was impressed. If they made it look normal, I'd buy one.

Same. I was initially put off by the Spartan interior. But it makes sense for the car and it’s very well done. Impressively, even their smallest car, Model 3 fits me (6’3” 250lb) with room to spare. I bump against the ceiling in most “normal” cars.

Same. I was initially put off by the Spartan interior. But it makes sense for the car and it’s very well done. Impressively, even their smallest car, Model 3 fits me (6’3” 250lb) with room to spare. I bump against the ceiling in most “normal” cars.
My 23 yo son is 6'3" 290 and he loves his toyota celica low rider with Lamborghini doors and he will never get rid of it.

Electric motors can be crazy powerful. Freight locomotives are often driven by electric motors. Their big diesel engines drive either AC alternators or DC generators that in turn power electric motors to actually turn the wheels. They can give you the same high torque at any speed without the need for a complex transmission.

Back
Top Bottom