Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 15.01

For some reason, I am no longer able to import presets. Anyone else? Current Axe-Fx III Firmware Version: 15.01

Last edited:
I'm just so in love with this firmware. Can you top it Cliff?!?! Its gonna be a tough one to improve on!

@FractalAudio I have to offer the opposite perspective: please keep screwing with the amps. :) All of your engineering is greatly appreciated!

Yeah, I vote the same exact way.

Fractal, please do exactly as you always do and the other guy that "detests amp updates" can just quit updating his firmware!
Fractal continues to blow my mind with updates I thought couldn't be better than previous versions.

Unbelievable work Fractal!!!

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-3/15p0/axefxiii_dsp_rel_15p01.zip

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes

Improved output transformer modeling in Amp block. For typical values of Transformer Drive the difference is subtle but mathematically more accurate adding a pleasing low-end growl and improving “tightness” in high-gain sounds. For high values of Transformer Drive the difference is more pronounced. If you have increased Transformer Drive on your presets above the default value then you should audition your presets.

Fixed Depth control not working on some amp models.
Happy Holidays to you too Cliff and all at FAS!!!

Yeah, I vote the same exact way.

Fractal, please do exactly as you always do and the other guy that "detests amp updates" can just quit updating his firmware!
Fractal continues to blow my mind with updates I thought couldn't be better than previous versions.

Unbelievable work Fractal!!!

I completely agree. If folks don't want the update they aren't being forced to install it.

Cliff - I hope you never stop innovating and stretching the limits of my ears and tone!

Generally speaking, I detest amp updates as it forces me to adjust all my presets. While I had do some significant changes this time as well, I have to admit I now have the best overall sound and feel I’ve ever had in forty years of playing. Now stop screwing with the amps!

edited to add:

Since someone asked on Facebook, here was my reply:

To get back to where you started, I found this gets you there:

Dyn Pres add 2.0

Dyn depth reduce by 1.5, if starting on zero, reduce bass by 0.4

Cathode comp add 3%

Cath harmonics add 0.1

Cath hardness add 0.3

Add 0.6 to sag

Drop bass by 0.3

Add 1.0 to high treble

In output EQ:

63kz -1.0
125kz -1.5
250kz -0.5
4000k +1.0
8000k +1.0

Power amp hardness add 0.5

Negative feedback add 2.0
Not a bad sound! 😜
But, not good!🧐;)o_O

• Haha
Reactions: jon
I think it's a joke.
It's not a joke... I saw him post that settings list on facebook in response to someone.

I am new to Fractal this year and use mostly Mesa based presets tweaked to sound like my blue stripe Mark III( a very hot amp) and Mark V. I already push everything pretty hard tonally in order to get the dynamics I like, you know that Steve Vai/Satriani-ish vibe that can either be amazing or get you in trouble... I will say this update seemed to push my presets too far, and I have been trying to decide what the best way to back them off and regain that clarity and dynamic is. At first it seemed to give me that DS1 sound that you can't dial out of that pedal no matter how hard you try... really colored the midrange and took away(or colored) some of the voicing... after some trial and error it was sounding great last night til the fingers were hurting, and I trust everyone's experience here and will keep working at it. Most of my high gain presets use the IIC++, I really don't tweak the power amp section, but I try to approach the thing just like the real amp... with the settings I was running pre-patch I actually recorded the AxeFx left and the MarkV right using the same IR and you couldn't tell which was which.

contrapoint, and i don’t disagree with @FractalAudio often, but:

when dealing with things that might be matters of life and death, it’s really useful to get an accurate diagnosis before treating the condition.

10 years ago, i changed careers from systems administration to veterinary medicine because i wanted to feel like i make a difference, and people are gross. i have worked in surgical specialty teams for the last 4 years, and currently lead one. this story is about something that happened yesterday.

in both fields, it is my experience that most of the user reports i get about what’s wrong are completely unrelated to the actual issue (first rule, check the cables). for example: i have an appointment on tuesday for “hip arthroscopy”, despite the fact that there are no conditions of the canine hip that are treated arthroscopically, and a 30 second perusal of the record shows that the problem is with the patient’s ankle.

yesterday, i showed up to find that we had an appointment for a swollen salivary gland that had been booked overnight. the owner had been promised by their regular vet that the surgery could happen the same day (with no knowledge of our schedule) and that it would cost a couple thousand dollars. the patient arrived, bleeding from its mouth from a soft ball sized tumor under its tongue, and breathing like darth vader. it was a nervous german shepherd, so we were unable to examine its mouth without sedating it.

it costs us thousands of dollars every time we use our CT scanner, because that’s how the lease is structured. there is no other way to have access to a CT scanner. general electric owns all of them, and when they age out of the human medical industry, we have the opportunity to rent them. ours runs IRIX on a Fscking Octane. (@unix-guy will understand how old it is)

we were fully booked, but rescheduled our one elective surgery of the day (no doubt we’ll receive a terrible yelp review) and scheduled the patient for a CT so we could determine exactly what was wrong so that we would have some idea what surgery was necessary. while i was warming up the CT machine, the patient stopped breathing and we had to perform CPR.

@FractalAudio - you’re really lucky that your self diagnosis was accurate, and that it was something that could be easily treated by your general practitioner. i have seen way too much death from poor diagnosis, and from people that think that their expertise in one field makes them experts in all other fields.

please have patience with people who know more than you do about how your preamp, or ears, or dog works than you do. please follow their recommendations so that you don’t have to have more surgery because the dog “doesn’t like” it’s cone and eats the sutures, or you blow up the USB board on your AXEFX.

I have done way too many unsuccessful CPRs this year, this month, this week to have any sympathy for you having to wait a little bit to make sure you dont have life threatening cancer in your ears.
My dad went to the doctor to try to fix his back and turns out he couldn't get back surgery yet because the surgery would very likely cause a heart attack from heart problems my dad didn't even know he had. Turns out it was the same problem that killed his brother, my uncle, about 2 years ago now. Point being though he didn't go to the doctor for his heart, but if he didn't he could be dead right now.

My dads friend said something like oh they're just trying to squeeze more money out of you, you should've got the back surgery. Me? I am just glad my father aint dead.

I know dealing with anything medical related is a nightmare but it is what it is guys!

Also thanks guys for the reminder I need to go get my ears waxed out lol.

Hopefully my ears are ready for when Revv models come to da AXE.

I completely agree. If folks don't want the update they aren't being forced to install it.

If you want the other benefits of an upgrade you must, which creates this quandary. You want the new DS-1, but don’t want to rebuild twenty live presets.

I don’t see the harm in sharing the antidote for that group of users. I suspect this group includes Fractals most famous users. Are headlining acts updating while on tour? My four years of experience touring as a guitar tech/roadie make me doubt it.

I think we're saying basically the same thing aren't we? The problem is, I don't think a stringed instrument can create a perfect sine wave, as there are multiple nodes along the string, being plucked, bowed or otherwise excited. In your example, using a pure sine wave, I completely agree.

But again, I'm no expert, and am happy to learn and appreciate all the responses and discussion of this type of stuff.
Not really, I was just trying to say that "overtones" produced by intermodulation distortion have nothing to do with overtones naturally present in an instrument signal.
Cliff's conceptual pickup would remove just the former

Back
Top Bottom