Theremin thread

Wow. I've seen several videos of people playing the theremin, but never anybody with the control she has.

Obvious witchcraft. Is she running it thru a modeler?
Not in that video as far as I know, but on her CD she uses a few pedals. If you're wondering about the double bass sound, I think on that model of theremin, there's a panel that can set the octave.

Very Interesting, enjoyed both videos, I never considered the antenna thing to be played like a real virtual instrument, (Violin, acoustic Bass?) at first I thought she was playing the piano accompaniment Ha Ha Ha, Frankly with my narrow minded music taste I was expecting something like what Jimmy Page did during "Whole Lot of Love" Im guessing its probably more easy to learn the real instrument...

The Theremin is an amazing instrument indeed, especially when someone has exceptional control over it.

I saw a prominent Theremin player (can't recall the name) play an entire evening with our local symphony orchestra and was completely entranced, both visually and aurally, by his performance and control. He made that thing sing and and the sounds produced were truly ethereal...I was pretty amazed by it all and he blended/augmented the symphony instruments in a most interesting way.

It was Moog Theremin (with some custom mods IIRC) with MIDI control which he used to trigger sounds and audio events as well.

At the end of the evening he let people come up to see and try it and to ask questions. I got some time on it and tried to play the vocal melody from "Theme From Star Trek" (the original series) and instantly gained a whole new appreciation of his talents and how cool the instrument is. I sounded like a warped record/dirty capstan tape recording of a wailing cat lol.

There is something entrancing about watching someone play an instrument in 'thin air' without touching it.

I think you might be even more impressed with Carolina Eyck then!

Interesting, never heard of her and will have to check that out...!

Check out this movie. 💯 rotten tomatoes.

https://g.co/kgs/1jtjye

Talks all about the Theremin and all the other cool stuff he invented. He had his building full of color CCTV before television was even being broadcast. Guy was decades ahead of his time.

Kidnapped by Russians right of the street in NYC.

Lots of content of Clara Rockmore who was THE virtuoso of this instrument.

Worth the watch!

The idea has potential, but in the clip, there would have been no difference between it being on a mic stand or on the guitar...

Thank you, for this post its a blast to my high school past where Montrose was smoking hot... F~ Peter Frampton im my mind 70s...

I was at the LA Amp show a couple of years ago and Chris Broderick was trying out an AxeFX. He was playing this killer riff that sounded vaguely familiar. I asked him what he was playing. It was Space Station #5 :).

I was at the LA Amp show a couple of years ago and Chris Broderick was trying out an AxeFX. He was playing this killer riff that sounded vaguely familiar. I asked him what he was playing. It was Space Station #5 :).
That whole montrose album was solid, make it last was among my fav w/space station 9

I first paid attention to this instrument when I heard the cool theme music to the British series “Midsomer Murders.” My wife is a big fan of the show, so I heard it a lot. I’d love a chance to play with a Theremin.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom