Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 14.06

Was this release pulled? I am not showing it available in Fractal Bot.
Yes thank you. I saw that and installed but why didn't Fractalbot offer it like it has the past several firmwares? Is this a change, an oversight or something on my end?
It has has a known issue, so they're not putting it out through the bot yet.

The observation that "FW update is missing" happens almost every time an update isn't in FB compared to the forum and then multiple folks notice it and then multiple users (even Cliff) has to explain why it's the case (and it's always the case for Public Beta releases).

I posted a Fractal-Bot Wish to display a default notice in the main window "For very latest FW, go to the forum" if there is no new update available via RSS which if clicked could popup more info about why. Or something like that.

Might provide education and limit these questions and confusions. Maybe.

Last edited:
For those who don’t visit the forum looking for “more”, I think telling them to visit the forum in Bot defeats the purpose of not letting them know about the latest firmware with potential bugs.

For those who do visit the forum, they should be able to see the latest firmware announcements in the appropriate forum. We all have to learn things at some point, so they may have to learn that’s the case. But this offers more of a choice about installing the FW, vs Bot telling them “go download this” and it potentially having a bug that affects them.

I get it. There is no perfect solution. The notice/link popup I'm suggesting wouldn't bring them to the forum but explain why certain updates are not available. It would require more steps for them to go get it and an opportunity to read the RNs as well.

For those who don’t visit the forum looking for “more”, I think telling them to visit the forum in Bot defeats the purpose of not letting them know about the latest firmware with potential bugs.

For those who do visit the forum, they should be able to see the latest firmware announcements in the appropriate forum. We all have to learn things at some point, so they may have to learn that’s the case. But this offers more of a choice about installing the FW, vs Bot telling them “go download this” and it potentially having a bug that affects them.
I first saw it on the forum. I visit the forum a few times a day, actually. THEN I went to the BOT and saw it wasn't there and wondered why. I know betas won't show but this is not a beta and is the first time Im running into it not offering a non beta update.

Maybe 2 update channels could be presented in FractalBot?
Stable and latest by example

An official and obvious distinction between beta and final releases would go a long ways.
  • Include the word 'beta' in the file name and the forum post
  • Have separate channels for each in FractaBot, or if not, a sticky in the beta thread saying it's a pre-release version that's not in the bot
  • Maybe have a separate forum section for Axe-Fx III Betas

I first saw it on the forum. I visit the forum a few times a day, actually. THEN I went to the BOT and saw it wasn't there and wondered why. I know betas won't show but this is not a beta and is the first time Im running into it not offering a non beta update.
yup, it's a question that comes up here and there. latest firmware is always on the forum. if it's not pushed to Bot, it is purposeful.

One thing is 14.06 was not a Beta. It was a full production release.

But when a bug was found, it was pulled from or not sent to the RSS feed for Axe Edit to limit the number of people experiencing the bug and posting about it. So no amount of beta labelling (which is already done, when firmware is a public beta it's clearly labelled as such) would have changed this case.

You could enforce that every firmware gets a 1 week public beta, but now everyone has to wait an extra week for what is largely a problem free firmware release, and a separate release has to be created to remove Beta from it after every one, and there are now going to be twice as many "new" firmwares for people to report bugs on. "Is this problem you're experiencing on the new beta that was released yesterday, or the new full release that was released yesterday? Can you try on the beta to see if it's fixed because it was reported when that new release was in beta last week" It's getting pretty messy already. And I'm not sure what the benefit is. No one has to ask why firmware 14.06 isn't on Axe Edit yet?

1. Cliff finishes a firmware
  2. Some combination of Internal and/or public beta happens or doesn't depending on the risk of breaking changes
  3. The firmware is "soft released" on the forum where the engaged forum users can install and report any problems missed in the prior stages.
  4. If no other issues detected, the firmware is pushed to Axe Edit
I think this works about as well as any other process, with a lot less "extra steps for the sake of steps". I don't think we need to come in here and try and product manage up a process that has let Cliff rapidly innovate and iterate into the product we all thought was worth thousands of dollars..

I have devices running with firmware probably a decade old. This really isn't a problem among problems. I just noticed a lack of consistency and wondered why.

I have devices running with firmware probably a decade old. This really isn't a problem among problems. I just noticed a lack of consistency and wondered why.
I have music stuff without a firmware update in 63 years, but it’s made out of really-firm ware. Leo, Jim, Pete, Randall, etc never sent me any of their within-model updates for me to install. They were pretty consistent about it.

I have music stuff without a firmware update in 63 years, but it’s made out of really-firm ware. Leo, Jim, Pete, Randall, etc never sent me any of their within-model updates for me to install. They were pretty consistent about it.
Yes but the difference is if you do need an update, you’ll need to source parts from an old Russian space station to do it.

Best to wait until you are done with the session. Why introduce uncertainty?
I know I may the odd man out and a little behind, but I’m still using FW12.14 while in this recording season. I did update to FW14 something, didn’t quite gel with it, especially in the middle of recording, reloaded the trusty great sounding 12.14 and would be happy if it were the final firmware.

Back
Top Bottom