Wish More Looper block memory slots

I'm not radioguy, and this is mostly daydreaming:
  • Rackmount 1 U
  • Connects to AxeFX via USB
  • Connects to computer via USB
  • Has SD card slot... load/save sounds, expand storage (hours of recording time!)
  • Can record/play multiple tracks (configuration via Axe Edit)
  • Standalone (more expensive) version has a lot of knobs and a few expression pedal ins and independent stereo outs
  • Integrated version only has ports for USB, SD and power - all other routing goes through Axe-FX (and FC-6 or 12 sends commands to AxeFX which in turn sends to looper.
Feel free to add to my list or point out anything that doesn't make sense!

Wouldn’t it be simpler to just have a rack version of a looper that responds to midi and is connected via the effects loop of the axe? That would be my first thought. That would mean the ace can stay as it is. (No extra usb port) I say extra usb port because the one it has is alwayis linked to my laptop.

Harm

I am speculating that the USB port of the AxeFX would handle the audio from the looper (In my imaginary looper, it would have many channels/loops and that would "waste" all the ins and outs of the AxeFX).
I too always have a laptop hooked up to the USB port of the AxeFX... maybe something like
Computer > USB cable > Looper > USB cable > AxeFX
is possible or would that introduce a lot of latency?
I thought that the FC-6/12 didn't have MIDI, but you're right, it can transmit MIDI through the AxeFX.

making a looper that only integrates with the axe fx would be crazy from a manufacturers viewpoint. why not make one that anybody can use (including axe fx users) and increase your market? the looperlative lp-1, or the electrix repeater with version 2 firmware are the two best hardware rack loopers out there. you can have what you want right now. (if you can find one).
if you like the idea of connecting with just one usb cable, you can use a laptop

Thanks for the heads up on the Looperlative, I'll look into it!
Yeah I know it would be crazy, that's why my first option was standalone. My imaginary version of the standalone vs integrated looper would be something like the H9000 vs the H9000R...
Ultimately yes, laptop is the way to go; MaxMSP with the karma~ external allows you to build anything you can imagine, but the learning curve is steep!

There are a bunch of iOS apps for looping with tons of power/features and low price (assuming you already have an iPad etc)

you can have 6 or more bpm tempo synced loops going at once, midi or ableton link for syncing with other hardware, and full midi or Bluetooth control over any parameter, essentially unlimited recording time, the ability to save and load loops and more

IMO, it’s the best bang for the buck platform for a stand alone looper

Loopers have unique hardware requirements, i.e. lots of memory. General-purpose guitar processors like the Axe-Fx don't need the amounts of memory that loopers require and adding that memory for a single effect would increase costs, probably considerably. Furthermore the processors used in products like the Axe-Fx are limited in the amount of memory they can address. The DSP used in the Axe-Fx III is the most powerful commercial DSP available but it's still limited in it's memory address space.

Also, most loopers trade off bit-depth and sample rate for loop time.

Therefore you're unlikely to ever find a multi-effect that has the loop time and features as a dedicated looper.

If I were to make a dedicated looper I probably wouldn't use a DSP but something like an ARM with a lot of external address space. There isn't really much audio processing required, it's mostly memory access.

I would vote for looper features instead of loop time.... Who does loops longer than 30 seconds....

IMO, it’s the best bang for the buck platform for a stand alone looper

I don't agree, it should be integrated in the Fractal platform. Many of us get a Fractal to stop carrying pedals and/or other devices. Fractal should be the all integrated solution.

I never carry a pedalboard or any other device other than my Atomic CLR(s) and either my FM3/EV-2/FC-6 or my Axe FX III/EV-1/FC-6.

I don't want to need anything else. And so far it works. I just want more from the Looper (and welcome improvements on everything else as time goes by).

Last edited:
I would vote for looper features instead of loop time.... Who does loops longer than 30 seconds....
I'm on board for more looper features as well, but people who want to make ambient music appreciate the ability to have long loops.

Sure — here goes:

SuperLooper Block

1) “MultiLoop” — four individual loops that can be recorded and then played back “on the fly”: verse1, chorus, bridge, verse2, something like that?

2) “Loop Copy/Paste/Delete” to support above between the four, with the ability to overdub on top of a copied/pasted loop.

3) “Playback Stack”: if Loop1 is playing, the ability to choose the next loop to be automatically played when Loop1 completes the pass it’s currently playing. If no “next loop” is selected, have Loop1 continue to loop playback.

4) “Stop” — an actual STOP command in addition to existing “transport” commands.

Full MIDI implementation of the above, please.

This would be a good start towards creating a performance-ready block. I’d gladly give up some of the existing 5mins. “total time” (and CPU, for that matter) for increased functionality. Doesn’t have to be feature crazy — just the equal of your typical sub-$200 stomp box. As I’ve previously said, I’d gladly fork over that $200 for an “in-app purchase” to help satisfy my Ginger Geezer Fantasies WITHOUT having to resort to an outboard unit.

Loop fade out...

It would be awesome to have the most amazing iteration of everything in one unit.

That said, and considering what FAS stated above, I'd prefer they focus hardware on processing and modeling, and anyone who needs a huge looper memory can grab a 3rd party pedal unit.

Burgs just demo'd the Flamma Drum/Loop pedal. $98, with a 20 minute loop memory. Not a lot of bells & whistles, but plenty of memory.

The greatest function of the Looper block (and all I really use it for) is to record the dry guitar, and then play the loop back to dial in amps/drives/IRs and effects while your hands and ears are free to tweak and listen closely.

It would be awesome to have the most amazing iteration of everything in one unit.

That said, and considering what FAS stated above, I'd prefer they focus hardware on processing and modeling, and anyone who needs a huge looper memory can grab a 3rd party pedal unit.

Burgs just demo'd the Flamma Drum/Loop pedal. $98, with a 20 minute loop memory. Not a lot of bells & whistles, but plenty of memory.

The greatest function of the Looper block (and all I really use it for) is to record the dry guitar, and then play the loop back to dial in amps/drives/IRs and effects while your hands and ears are free to tweak and listen closely.

Here again I disagree. A Fractal unit should have it all.

The Fractal platform is flexible and ideal for a good multi-function looper. All we're asking for is a few more options.

to be honest, this makes you sound a little entitled. there are limitations. they may be related to hardware, software, cost, or other reasons you may not be aware of. cliff also has to juggle his time between coding new things for us and the million other things he has to do to keep his business running. we ask (nicely) and if we're lucky, we receive.

The Fractal platform is flexible and ideal for a good multi-function looper. All we're asking for is a few more options.
Ouch.

As the forum's owner stated, you're running into an area where there would need to be not only more physical memory, but also the DSP's ability to address that very memory. Meaning more DSPs, and the snowball effect of more heat, more space, more money to produce.

This isn't just a matter of some coding.

I suppose this goes to the old saying about pleasing some of the people, some of the time.

to be honest, this makes you sound a little entitled. there are limitations. they may be related to hardware, software, cost, or other reasons you may not be aware of. cliff also has to juggle his time between coding new things for us and the million other things he has to do to keep his business running. we ask (nicely) and if we're lucky, we receive.

Sure, there are limitations but I believe the folks at Fractal have the talent to come up with more features on the Looper block. If we don't express new requirements, we just won't have them. The Looper is pretty basic as it is today and most other blocks are full features. Watch them... They'll figure it out.

And even if it were, OMG.
Please repeat after me: “Code costs money. Code costs money. Code costs money.”

And the folks who are really good at the former usually don’t work for small amounts of the latter.

If the Fractal folks can make a Fractal unit simulate that cool edge of breakup tone that gives you goosebumps, they can add a few features to the Looper. I'm sure they're listening BTW.

If the Fractal folks can make a Fractal unit simulate that cool edge of breakup tone that gives you goosebumps, they can add a few features to the Looper. I'm sure they're listening BTW.
Pretty obvious if you read all the posts in the thread. But I'm wondering if you did since Cliff already commented ;)

Loopers have unique hardware requirements, i.e. lots of memory. General-purpose guitar processors like the Axe-Fx don't need the amounts of memory that loopers require and adding that memory for a single effect would increase costs, probably considerably. Furthermore the processors used in products like the Axe-Fx are limited in the amount of memory they can address. The DSP used in the Axe-Fx III is the most powerful commercial DSP available but it's still limited in it's memory address space.

Also, most loopers trade off bit-depth and sample rate for loop time.

Therefore you're unlikely to ever find a multi-effect that has the loop time and features as a dedicated looper.

If I were to make a dedicated looper I probably wouldn't use a DSP but something like an ARM with a lot of external address space. There isn't really much audio processing required, it's mostly memory access.

Pretty obvious if you read all the posts in the thread. But I'm wondering if you did since Cliff already commented ;)

Adding a simple loop "fade out" feature for example doesn't require much... That's the kind of features I'm talking about.

We're not talking 30 minutes of multi-layers looping capacity...

Back
Top Bottom