Wish Beat scanner/Tempo detection

+1. Tapping a tempo is difficult when you are the anti-Fred-Astaire. Holding a button and tapping on my guitar strings would be much more likely to approach accurate....
The trick is that, if your Tap Tempo footswitch has a Hold function, then the taps are counted on switch release instead of switch tap. You need to maintain a consistent down-up pattern. Once you start doing that, your Tempo taps become much more successful.

BTW, I’ve seen your rig. That’s not exactly the anti-Fred Astaire’s pedalboard. :p

The trick is that, if your Tap Tempo footswitch has a Hold function, then the taps are counted on switch release instead of switch tap. You need to maintain a consistent down-up pattern. Once you start doing that, your Tempo taps become much more successful.

BTW, I’ve seen your rig. That’s not exactly the anti-Fred Astaire’s pedalboard. :p
DO'H!

It just occurred to me that I have the Tuner on the Hold function and have forever...

I know this stuff and it never occurred to me until now. Might explain my less than accurate tap tempo ;)

DO'H!

It just occurred to me that I have the Tuner on the Hold function and have forever...

I know this stuff and it never occurred to me until now. Might explain my less than accurate tap tempo ;)
On the road to success!

Good info. Not sure how much it will help when I am prone to tripping over the pattern in the carpet and falling up stairs, though. We're talking a level of clumsy that would make Buster Keaton shake his head in disbelief....

LOL! I like options. FWIW, on a lot of my per-song presets, half the buttons on the per-preset FC are dark and unused. It's the kitchen-sink ones that use all the buttons....

Hey, just thought of adding this wish but it's already in...

Wish is for a modifier that is a beat detector that will feed tempo to the blocks in the preset.

Better yet, a beat/tempo detector that utilizes the preset tempo as a guide to avoid 2x or 0.5x tempo detection.

Why? I was playing a broadway show where we needed beat sync'd effects, but the cast drove a different tempo every evening. If the Axe was doing tempo dynamically, we would have aced it...

Hey, just thought of adding this wish but it's already in...

Wish is for a modifier that is a beat detector that will feed tempo to the blocks in the preset.

Better yet, a beat/tempo detector that utilizes the preset tempo as a guide to avoid 2x or 0.5x tempo detection.

Why? I was playing a broadway show where we needed beat sync'd effects, but the cast drove a different tempo every evening. If the Axe was doing tempo dynamically, we would have aced it...
I can see value in that. It would allow you to do interesting things if you could hold a footswitch to activate the scanner and then vary how effects sync based on your playing.

Probably being able to set min/max values would be easier to avoid going to too low or too high tempos.

I can see value in that. It would allow you to do interesting things if you could hold a footswitch to activate the scanner and then vary how effects sync based on your playing.

Probably being able to set min/max values would be easier to avoid going to too low or too high tempos.
I thought of min/max but that would either have to be global, or a new per-preset UI.

I think the per-preset tempo could serve as a per-preset hint for the detector. Maybe a global % factor for how close to stick to the per-preset tempo?

Also, I think it should run all the time. My use-case is that I'm very busy playing, turning pages, listening to the cast for screwups, I don't want to be tapping a tempo or operating a gate for the detector.

Hi guys,
That would indeed be a great feature. Currently I am using a Selah Quartz (http://www.selaheffects.com/product/quartz-v3/) for converting our audio click track (i.e. the output of a Peterson Body Beat Metronome controlled wirelessly by our drummer) to MIDI clock, which is fed to my Axe-FX. That works great but the Quartz is pricey and overkill if that is the only purpose of it. It would presumably be fairly easy to use one of the FM9 device inputs for "click detection" (or audio beat detection like on some DJ Stations) and use that to control the time based effects directly. Let's hope this is implemented soon.

Would love a beat scanner/tempo detection - like the TC Looper pedal.
I'm awful at tap tempo.

I know a lot of folks want the looper to do this too, and while that would be great, I think a higher priority is that the looper stay in sync with incoming Midi clock. Some of the more pro loopers will continue to sync to a midi clock (like a beat buddy) and adjusting for midi drift. Would love for the fractal looper to be able to sync perfectly to an incoming midi clock.

Back
Top Bottom