Wish 808 Distortion for 8 string guitars and Bass (Not a Tube Screamer)

Omri Bazelet

Inspired
Hi there!
I have thought of something that could be really really cool and think could be a totally different from all the other drives.

Guitar players usually think of 808 as tube screamers, but if you're actually been making trap, hip hop and modern music, it actually refers for that sound of the bass in a 808 Drum Machine which a lot of people use for Trap music etc.

And since we're in the digital realm, i thought it will be totally awesome to create a drive pedal that recreates a mixture of that puffy 808 sound and distortion and also allow for editing and shaping the tone of it and make a bass feel more electronic and use a bass guitar for recording it live on a beat ot a track. And also id combining it with high gain and mix knob. it could be a whole new guitar sound. and also with 5 string bass it's totally possible to get that loose feel.

Examples for 808 Sounds and Samples are attached to the section. also some songs that refers the sound.

Attachments

• 808s.zip
    6.2 MB · Views: 5
The bass drum of a Roland TR-808 is essentially a sine wave; the actual drum machine does not have a distortion "module."
The distortion you are looking for is post processing. Do you have an example of a specific VST that does this processing? Can you try and emulate it with the available parameters of the drive block (maybe also along with compression, filter, etc blocks)?

The bass drum of a Roland TR-808 is essentially a sine wave; the actual drum machine does not have a distortion "module."
The distortion you are looking for is post processing. Do you have an example of a specific VST that does this processing? Can you try and emulate it with the available parameters of the drive block (maybe also along with compression, filter, etc blocks)?
He's talking about the BASS not the bass drum.

I'm pretty sure the Synth block will do what is needed here.

He's talking about the BASS not the bass drum.

I'm pretty sure the Synth block will do what is needed here.

OP made a distinction between a TS808 and a TR-808. He is looking for the TR-808 sound.
The sound that fulfills the function of bass in jungle, hip-hop, trap, etc is a sample of the TR-808 bass drum, which is a sine wave at its starting point. That sine wave is then processed... ie drive, filter, comp.

Last edited:
sine wave in the Synth block. distort the crap out of it, run parallel to amp block to get the right mix.

OP made a distinction between a TS808 and a TR-808. He is looking for the TR-808 sound.
The sound that fulfills the function of bass in jungle, hip-hop, trap, etc is a sample of the TR-808 bass drum, which is a sine wave at it's starting point. That sine wave is then processed... ie drive, filter, comp.
Got it... In any case, my answer is still relevant.

Actually designing an 808 today is quite unique in it's way.
Becuase it first begins with Sample.

After it the design of it is actually created by an advanced distortion such as Fabfilter Saturn and Distort a certain low frequency range in a certain type and saturation type, and also shaping that specific band range EQ which differs from a general distortion pedal in someway.
And then to tame it, using a Multi Band Compressor in order to tame the mess in the lower register.
But it's not just making a sine wave and that's it.
The whole shaping process is different than guitar.

BUT, Since the AXE FX 3 is all digital, Cliff can create a drive pedal that can touch those certain frequencies, and get the whole processing into a single drive block that also
Pitch shifts (8 string mode), Add a "synth" character and pre shape it.
So you actually have an all ready and flexible 808 Designer which you can parallel with amps, specifically crunch and high gain d control the mix of it
Or else, And that the major flaw of each synth and samples.
Sustain and length.
Becuase when using sample, you're allocated only to the sample length and when playing it, it sounds weird and not as fluid as a reall bass or a true instrument and sometimes too clicky and robotic.

It truly simply getting a more modern, unique and combined sound for the guitar with the punch of 808.

Really cool find AndrewJay, never seen that before! Not that I would know from the BD circuit that it creates a sinewave.

Actually designing an 808 today is quite unique in it's way.
Becuase it first begins with Sample.

After it the design of it is actually created by an advanced distortion such as Fabfilter Saturn and Distort a certain low frequency range in a certain type and saturation type, and also shaping that specific band range EQ which differs from a general distortion pedal in someway.
And then to tame it, using a Multi Band Compressor in order to tame the mess in the lower register.
But it's not just making a sine wave and that's it.
The whole shaping process is different than guitar.

BUT, Since the AXE FX 3 is all digital, Cliff can create a drive pedal that can touch those certain frequencies, and get the whole processing into a single drive block that also
Pitch shifts (8 string mode), Add a "synth" character and pre shape it.
So you actually have an all ready and flexible 808 Designer which you can parallel with amps, specifically crunch and high gain d control the mix of it
Or else, And that the major flaw of each synth and samples.
Sustain and length.
Becuase when using sample, you're allocated only to the sample length and when playing it, it sounds weird and not as fluid as a reall bass or a true instrument and sometimes too clicky and robotic.

It truly simply getting a more modern, unique and combined sound for the guitar with the punch of 808.
Actually when thinking of it, a mishmash of Octave Fuzz with a more defined sound like a 5150 could be a beginning

Yeah I know that you're not after a sine wave. I've been saying that the whole time... post processing.
You enumerated a few plug-ins; can you use the tools we already have in the Axe-FX to re-create the sound you are after. I think you can get pretty far with what is already in there.

Considering that the Klon has not been modeled, do you think you are going to get a custom "multiband-pitch-synth-drive"?

Yeah I know that you're not after a sine wave. I've been saying that the whole time... post processing.
You enumerated a few plug-ins; can you use the tools we already have in the Axe-FX to re-create the sound you are after. I think you can get pretty far with what is already in there. Considering the Klon has not been modeled yet, do you think you are going to get a custom "multiband-pitch-synth-drive"?
Hell yeah, we got a ton of Drives out there.
Making A Klon is probably way easier than a 808 for sure, but you know, we already have tons of guitar drives, but it always encourages me to get of the ordinary and be more unique, escpecially with a monster like the AX3

Semi off topic, but I picked up the Behringer RD8, their TR808 clone and man is that thing fun for $300. They nailed the sound, all analog, and added a bunch of cool stuff like per step probability, wave designer etc. That machine is a legend for good reason and now you don’t need to drop about $4k to own one

Back
Top Bottom