How do I create a distortion tone?

ZebulaJams

I don't know how to create a distortion guitar on my Axe FX III. Every time I make a new setting, it just sounds like a clean or moderately overdriven guitar. I watched a video from Leon Todd about the 2290 Delay Pedal and copied each block he had in the video and set mine up exactly the same down to the number - the sound isn't even close to his.

I'm not saying, "I want that EXACT tone". I know that's unrealistic. But it seems like every time I create a "heavy" preset, it just comes out like 1950s OD guitar.

I have attached some pictures of the setup.

Help?

Attachments

• Amp.png
    Amp.png
    164.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Cab.png
    Cab.png
    156.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Drive.png
    Drive.png
    123.1 KB · Views: 54
  • M-Comp.png
    M-Comp.png
    153.8 KB · Views: 52
Are you using humbucker pickups? (If single coil, that could be a reason).

If Humbuckers, I would proceed to remove the In2 -> Out2 blocks, and listen again, just in case that loop2 is mixing a clean signal with your distorted signal somehow (not likely, but depending on routing, it could happen if you have output 1 and 2 going out to an interface or something like that).

If Humbuckers and no loop2 included still give you a thin tone, try changing the Amp to Archon temporarily as this will ensure an extreme thick heavy amp setting out of the box compared to the IIC+ which is heavy enough, but not as thick as the Archon here using my guitar.

If tone is still thin then there's something else going on:
  • check input level is not all the way down.
  • check for guitar output issues.
  • check for cable issues.

Yeah what kind of guitar/pickups are you using and what are your input level and input gain set to in the I/O menu, Input page?

I see you are running FW 12.07.

I think there was a bug some firmwares ago that changed the value of the Input 1 Gain in the I/O levels. You might check that too, Input 1 Gain has to be set at 1.000 for default settings.

th screenshots you posted, that thing should have been roaring feedback because it was so distorted

They are the only ones that sound good, at first. But there is nothing like dialing in ones own tone to best suit the personal signal chain once you know what you're doing.

A lot can be learned by looking at how someone has created their tone, but I'd urge you not to give up on creating your own presets.

th screenshots you posted, that thing should have been roaring feedback because it was so distorted
You would think. I know I said this in the original post, but it’s just moderately overdriven. Super weak. I wonder if I’m doing something wrong.

I see you are running FW 12.07.

I think there was a bug some firmwares ago that changed the value of the Input 1 Gain in the I/O levels. You might check that too, Input 1 Gain has to be set at 1.000 for default settings.
Is that in the In and Out blocks? Sorry, I’m really new to the system. I know very little about it.

i had the same issue. On the I/O settings page, try turning up the “input 1 gain”. Mine is set on about 2 or 3.

Is that in the In and Out blocks? Sorry, I’m really new to the system. I know very little about it.
The manual is excellent; There's a lot to know, but open a factory preset, look at the drive and amp blocks and then look up the information in the manual. There are SO many factory presets that sound good, but you have to spend some time studying; The forum is the very slowest way to learn this stuff.

Press Home in the Axe Fx, that will get you to the main screen, then from the encoders under the display, press the one labeled E to access the Setup menu. Use the navigation arrows to click down to I/O and press Enter.

Can you tell us what are the values for "Input 1 level" and "Input 1 Gain" respectively?

Press Home in the Axe Fx, that will get you to the main screen, then from the encoders under the display, press the one labeled E to access the Setup menu. Use the navigation arrows to click down to I/O and press Enter.

Can you tell us what are the values for "Input 1 level" and "Input 1 Gain" respectively?
I will check this out when I get home from work and report back. Thanks for the continued help.

The manual is excellent; There's a lot to know, but open a factory preset, look at the drive and amp blocks and then look up the information in the manual. There are SO many factory presets that sound good, but you have to spend some time studying; The forum is the very slowest way to learn this stuff.
Is the manual only online? I ask because the system did not come with one.

Back
Top Bottom